What's new

ASUS RT-AC3200 Firmware - Official Releases

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Make sure you disable Smart Connect and set the Key Rotation Interval to '0' for ALL bands before re-enabling it (not very intuitive, I know). This seemed to resolve my hourly disconnects.

Alternatively, you can SSH in and execute the following commands:
Code:
nvram set wl_wpa_gtk_rekey=0
nvram set wl0_wpa_gtk_rekey=0
nvram set wl1_wpa_gtk_rekey=0
nvram set wl2_wpa_gtk_rekey=0
nvram commit
reboot
Just tried this. Will let you know the results. Thx.

Just tried this. Will let you know the results. Thx.
This works like a charm. Did this about a week ago and no disconnects so far. I am running smart connect. Maybe now that we know the issue (key rotation and smart connect enable causes disconnects), Asus and/or RMerlin can patch this up. I would like to have key rotation enabled if it didn't cause this issue.

This works like a charm. Did this about a week ago and no disconnects so far. I am running smart connect. Maybe now that we know the issue (key rotation and smart connect enable causes disconnects), Asus and/or RMerlin can patch this up. I would like to have key rotation enabled if it didn't cause this issue.
Why would you like key rotation enabled?

Why would you like key rotation enabled?
I don't think its unreasonable to want a security enhancement like key rotation to work properly with the other functions of the device. I like the idea that my encryption key is not static.

I don't think its unreasonable to want a security enhancement like key rotation to work properly with the other functions of the device. I like the idea that my encryption key is not static.
So it rotates the keys if you set it to anything but zero ? Does it generate new keys on its own based on the 1 key you enter ? I don't get what it is rotating and have not gotten a straight answer yet .

So it rotates the keys if you set it to anything but zero ? Does it generate new keys on its own based on the 1 key you enter ? I don't get what it is rotating and have not gotten a straight answer yet .
My understanding is that every x seconds the controller will force the device to re-authenticate generating a new private key to which the data is encrypted against. Theoretically if this is set to 0 and a connection is never forced to re-authenticate someone could sniff the airwaves and eventually by gathering enough data reverse engineer the key used to encrypt the data. In a home environment this is unlikely since the compute power to do it would be high and someone would need to move in next door to you to spend the time it would take.
A rotating key basically makes this not possible, since the encryption key would be changing every hour so you would need a computer from the star ship enterprise to break the key before it was changed.

Here is a good primer on encryption for anyone interested in the basics.
https://www.khanacademy.org/computi...graphy/modern-crypt/v/intro-to-rsa-encryption

I set the key rotation to the max, 2592000 seconds or one month.

Please only post in English. Everyone on these forums understands English, but less than 1% of us might understand Chinese. This is why we all use the same common language on these forums.
Well understand. Thank you

Hello,
I have had problems with drops and have just updated to 3.0.0.4.378_4980. I haven't really gone into any settings for my Asus RT-AC3200, but I would like to try the solution which has seemed to work for people on this thread. Just so that I am certain, are these the correct steps to take:

1. Go to "Wireless > General" and switch "Enabled Smart Connect" to OFF
  2. Remain in "Wireless > General" and edit "Network Key Rotation Interval" to 0
  3. Remain in "Wireless > General" and click "Apply"
  4. Remain in "Wireless > General" and switch "Enabled Smart Connect" to ON
  5. Restart Asus RT-AC3200

Are these the correct steps and order? I see posts about doing this for all bands... but I can find nowhere else in 3.0.0.4.378_4980 that has a setting like "Network Key Rotation Interval" does at "Wireless > General".

Also, the only downside to this is that my communications won't rotate their encryption? (Living in a single family home, I'm not too worried about losing this capability in exchange for no more constant drops... which are a real hurdle when using VPN and having to re-connect the whole VPN connection after each second-long drop.)

Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!