1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

ASUS RT-AC5300

Discussion in 'ASUS AC Routers & Adapters' started by madhatter01, Mar 27, 2015.

1. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

The RT-AC88U adds an RTL8365MB, which handles four of the 8 LAN ports.

Blind_Bandit and L&LD like this.
  2. System Error Message

System Error Message Part of the Furniture

How are the switch chips connected? Do they have a 1Gb/s link between them or a 4Gb/s link? Or are they connected like the mikrotik RB1100AHx2?

3. L&LD

L&LD Part of the Furniture

I don't think you told us what your client was that you used in the garage?

Is it an AC class client? How many streams / antennae? Hand held device or an AC (wall powered) laptop?

You believe that less than 10% difference is not significant. I disagree with that, in theory. ;)

I think the large improvements of the beamforming feature is directly related to the better design (both hardware and firmware). It just doesn't offer much when it is disabled. :)

Blind_Bandit likes this.
  4. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

Asus hasn't revealed it, but since the RTL8365MB only has an RGMII interface, I assume that's how it's linked to the other switch.

Blind_Bandit likes this.
  5. kvic

kvic Part of the Furniture

Nice work.

I would guess 5G is with 802.11ac explicit beam forming. Your result suggests that it's working so well that it overshadows any gain from using a 9dBi antenna. While on 2.4G, universal beam forming is used which helps but does not work as well as explicit beam forming. The gain from a 9dBi antenna is more prominent.

Slightly off topic: while most discussions on this forum essentially focus on PHY layer to improve range (and throughput), little discussion on MAC layer. I don't know if it's due to less tweaks possible on MAC or lack of expertise on this aspect. E.g. 10% increase of MAC efficiency on a 1300Mbit/s link is a whopping 130Mbit/s increase in throughput at your best spots.

I read on another thread some folks can achieve 90% utilisation of link rate.. lol.

Blind_Bandit likes this.
  6. kvic

kvic Part of the Furniture

I would guess you didn't catch what he was thinking. lol. I bet he meant to connect two AC5300 routers by ethernet cables. And here was his reasoning: AC5300 => 5.3Gbit/s total throughput. One gigabit ethernet port provides 1Gbit/s. 5.3Gb1 requires 5 to 6 ports to make most effective use of all throughput.

Hence, 4 ethernet ports are definitely not enough for bridging two AC5300 routers, not to mention leaving some ports for other devices. Whether link aggregation like this is possible or not is another topic..lol I had too much time reading into junk!

7. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

No - it was a thought experiment about how to bind the two 5GHz radios on the layer two as an ethernet bridge using the linux bonding driver - the Asus firmware basically can't handle that...

two AC1300 3*3:3 streams would have been interesting...

8. sfx2000

seems reasonable and practical...

Would be nice if Asus turns up the interesting things on the RTL... it has management capabilities on the layer 3...

9. wsarahan

wsarahan Senior Member

Guys how are you?

Can someone tell me a place I can buy this router and be shipped to Brazil? Amazon and Newegg both sites have the router but won't ship worldwide this one.....

Thanks

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

10. toor

toor Regular Contributor

11. wsarahan

wsarahan Senior Member

12. toor

toor Regular Contributor

hmm works for me.

wsarahan likes this.
  13. wsarahan

wsarahan Senior Member

Maybe because I'm at the phone, sorry

Just a question, I can't find the support page at Asus website to download the fws for this one, where can I find the latest firmwares from Asus to the 5300?

Thanks

14. toor

toor Regular Contributor

Asus hasnt put it live yet.

wsarahan likes this.
  15. wsarahan

wsarahan Senior Member

So for now or I use the one that comes with router or I need to use this latest beta right?

16. toor

toor Regular Contributor

yes, although the one I posted shouldnt be a beta. beta firmware usually starts with a 9, official firmwares start with a 3. So the one I listed is official, I just dont think its been released on the automatic download servers.

wsarahan likes this.
  17. doeboy

doeboy Occasional Visitor

18. monakh

monakh Occasional Visitor

Regardless of the fact that the specs match the AC88U, they should still send you another unit. Whether you choose to support it or not is entirely up to you.

19. sfx2000

They all need to match... you'll need four at least

20. toor

toor Regular Contributor

Not entirely sure, here is the only listing I found regarding the antenna on the 5300 from the manual.

upload_2015-11-30_12-7-24.png