What's new

ASUS RT-AC5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Why? Because I don't use mobile phones to connect to any network (except for talking, of course) and for the customers that I help, I specifically tell them that the network is tuned for laptops, desktops, NAS's and any media devices they may have (wired or wireless). Hand held devices are specifically not included or guaranteed to have coverage like the other devices will.

They are not tuned for throughput or range. They are tuned for battery savings.

As for the statistics ramble, not even important enough to keep discussing (sorry).
So you don't trust mobile phones because you don't use them on a data network. I know that mine has sufficient range for the subject tests, and that its throughput is actually just a bit better than my 1000BASE-T Ethernet-connected Windows 7 computer. The overhead of Windows eats more time than the phone. Both exceed any speeds reached in these tests because I chose to make them at some distance from the routers.

As far as speed and range, I find that my mobile lacks neither. In any case, that doesn't matter: the advantage of controlled testing. As long as the same measuring devices, placed in the exact same spot and orientation, are used, and nothing else that could affect the radio waves changes; the tests are valid. What matters is not the absolute numbers but the difference between them when a variable is changed.

In plain language, if I tested the same router and client device in the same locations and changed nothing but "beamforming," and got ten results all between 119.6 and 123.3Mbps with beamforming on and ten results all between 84.3 and 87.9Mbps with it off; then beamforming provided an advantage.

We are pretty far off the "RT-AC5300" topic here. Since you trust anecdotal observations more than controlled testing, and I fall in the opposite camp, we should shut up and give this thread back to its purpose.

So you don't trust mobile phones because you don't use them on a data network. I know that mine has sufficient range for the subject tests, and that its throughput is actually just a bit better than my 1000BASE-T Ethernet-connected Windows 7 computer. The overhead of Windows eats more time than the phone. Both exceed any speeds reached in these tests because I chose to make them at some distance from the routers.

As far as speed and range, I find that my mobile lacks neither. In any case, that doesn't matter: the advantage of controlled testing. As long as the same measuring devices, placed in the exact same spot and orientation, are used, and nothing else that could affect the radio waves changes; the tests are valid. What matters is not the absolute numbers but the difference between them when a variable is changed.

In plain language, if I tested the same router and client device in the same locations and changed nothing but "beamforming," and got ten results all between 119.6 and 123.3Mbps with beamforming on and ten results all between 84.3 and 87.9Mbps with it off; then beamforming provided an advantage.

We are pretty far off the "RT-AC5300" topic here. Since you trust anecdotal observations more than controlled testing, and I fall in the opposite camp, we should shut up and give this thread back to its purpose.

The point is that even with high throughput and range a hand held device is infinitely less useful than a full blown laptop. The superiority of the WiFi is wasted on a device that is meant mostly for consumption.

Even more to the point is that for me, unless the test is with at least a laptop, it is not applicable at all. And trying to infer that since it worked for a mobile device it would also work for anyone else in my situation is stretching the 'facts' to the breaking point.

But doesn't the test prove that it has increased his signal and throughput? I mean he used the exact same methods and variables on each test, which shows the before and after results. If he used a different location or a different device to test on the results would be invalid. I know it's not using a laptop, but if his "inferior" phones capability can show everyone that kind of improvement, just imagine what a high end network card in a desktop or laptop will give you.

But doesn't the test prove that it has increased his signal and throughput? I mean he used the exact same methods and variables on each test, which shows the before and after results. If he used a different location or a different device to test on the results would be invalid. I know it's not using a laptop, but if his "inferior" phones capability can show everyone that kind of improvement, just imagine what a high end network card in a desktop or laptop will give you.

That's the scary part (the 'just imagine'). I don't want to imagine or hope for the best scenario. I want it demonstrated directly.

So my Asus 5300 has been great even with smart connect on so far. This is the first time smart connect has been somewhat smart.

I have noticed that smart connect kind of freaks out when going outside of 5ghz range and finally connecting to the 2.4 band on my iphone. Other than that rock solid.

Can't say the same for my netgear x8. It is a major piece of junk. It kept dropping connections and packets pinging directly to router. Maybe I got a bad one? Oh well, back to Asus where I belong.

I know it's not using a laptop, but if his "inferior" phones capability can show everyone that kind of improvement, just imagine what a high end network card in a desktop or laptop will give you.

dlandiss' phone used as a probe under the tests is a Galaxy S5 (#329). It comes with a wifi chip more advanced than perhaps lots of laptops. :)

Good idea but I need to connect to an American vpn

Using Google itself here in Brazil don't give me any matxh/ buying option, I think it takes the geolocalization right?

When I get home I'll try with a vpn the shopping button

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

Sorry to inform but most seller don't export to Brazil because they know WIFI products must have ANATEL Certification Approved, when this router gets in Customs in Brazil they may check to find any records for this device and if they don't find they will return to sender or the merchant may lose it.

Well if you want a better test then buy one and complete it on your own to make up your mind. He did a test within his network and showed a great improvement over his last router. He is limited to what he has to complete the test. If you want to disprove his results saying that a phone cannot give the same results that a laptop can with this router and with his setup then go ahead.

My test is going to be similar tomorrow when my router arrives. I do not have or own a laptop, but own two desktops that are very close to the router so they would really be no use and one doesn't have an AC adapter card as of yet. The devices I need more range to are handheld phones, Roku and console devices. So my test will be has the range improved for my devices, what speeds can they pull now and the signal levels from the same spots within my home. I just need to find a good app on apple devices that shows the signal level of my network. Android has so many good ones, but my apple devices suck to find a good free one.

@kvic - I used the quotations to be kinda a sarcastic remark because he thinks that phones are not a reliable source and cannot use them as a benchmark when testing a wifi network

Received and set up yesterday and installed with the new firmware link, posted earlier in thread.(Many Thanks)
I had installed an AC 68U several years ago, Thanks to information on this forum.
We have a two story (large home) with a walk out basement that has the comcast cable connection that connected to the AC5300 with an ethernet cable measures 124 Mbps.
Have always had issues, especially on 2nd floor in corners and with the range of the 5Ghz band not being stable. Installed a a Linksys AC1200 (RE6700) on the 1st floor and it seemed to help. (now removed)
Was reluctant to invest in the AC5300, as it is new and was concerned that it would not be much better or improved. Over Thanksgiving has a house full of people with Ipads and cell phones and connections were not extremely stable, so I decided to take the plunge, knowing I could send back to Amazon.
Plan was to use the AC68U as a Access Point either Wireless or with Power Line.
This report is not Scientific, but I am absolutely amazed and surprised. It seems that I will not need the Access Point
Have 2.4 on one channel and the same SSID for both 5's with smart connect.
The speed on 2.4 is around 50 in the basement and lowest at 28-36 for the other 2 floors. (Test my Net)
My amazement is with the 5 band,as it is over 100 in the basement an around 80, even in the farthest corners of house upstairs.
Obviously, this is only a 2 day run...but I am very happy at this point.
My connections, by choice are mostly wireless......
Jeff

Received and set up yesterday and installed with the new firmware link, posted earlier in thread.(Many Thanks)
I had installed an AC 68U several years ago, Thanks to information on this forum.
We have a two story (large home) with a walk out basement that has the comcast cable connection that connected to the AC5300 with an ethernet cable measures 124 Mbps.
Have always had issues, especially on 2nd floor in corners and with the range of the 5Ghz band not being stable. Installed a a Linksys AC1200 (RE6700) on the 1st floor and it seemed to help. (now removed)
Was reluctant to invest in the AC5300, as it is new and was concerned that it would not be much better or improved. Over Thanksgiving has a house full of people with Ipads and cell phones and connections were not extremely stable, so I decided to take the plunge, knowing I could send back to Amazon.
Plan was to use the AC68U as a Access Point either Wireless or with Power Line.
This report is not Scientific, but I am absolutely amazed and surprised. It seems that I will not need the Access Point
Have 2.4 on one channel and the same SSID for both 5's with smart connect.
The speed on 2.4 is around 50 in the basement and lowest at 28-36 for the other 2 floors. (Test my Net)
My amazement is with the 5 band,as it is over 100 in the basement an around 80, even in the farthest corners of house upstairs.
Obviously, this is only a 2 day run...but I am very happy at this point.
My connections, by choice are mostly wireless......
Jeff

Glad to hear it's working so well for you, and especially awesome you got to test the network with a plethora of different devices over the holidays. I too am extremely happy with the AC5300, solid range, and extremely stable with every firmware I have tested on it.

Well just a quick update...Mine actually came in tonight and I just got it up and running after updating to the newest firmware (RT-AC5300 3.0.0.4_380_838). I have it setup to smart connect and ran a speed test in my bedroom before and after. Before I got 2.94Mbps down and 2.52 Mbps up (I consistently got this speed anytime I ran a speed test in my bedroom) and after I am getting 37.35Mbps down and 12Mbps up. I pay for 150Mbps down and 12Mbps up on Comcast BTW. To me I think that it extended the range of my network just like I hoped and has given me the speeds I need for my whole house. I will continue to try and give updates when I am able to conduct more tests when I have more time to dedicate to it.

Well if you want a better test then buy one and complete it on your own to make up your mind. He did a test within his network and showed a great improvement over his last router. He is limited to what he has to complete the test. If you want to disprove his results saying that a phone cannot give the same results that a laptop can with this router and with his setup then go ahead.

My test is going to be similar tomorrow when my router arrives. I do not have or own a laptop, but own two desktops that are very close to the router so they would really be no use and one doesn't have an AC adapter card as of yet. The devices I need more range to are handheld phones, Roku and console devices. So my test will be has the range improved for my devices, what speeds can they pull now and the signal levels from the same spots within my home. I just need to find a good app on apple devices that shows the signal level of my network. Android has so many good ones, but my apple devices suck to find a good free one.

@kvic - I used the quotations to be kinda a sarcastic remark because he thinks that phones are not a reliable source and cannot use them as a benchmark when testing a wifi network

Myself? I don't want to disprove anything. Just stating that it is not applicable to a laptop user.

Wow all these reports of greater range/performance is superb. I'd like to see a comparison between the 88U and this unit.
Yep, the numbers I got from day 1 have come down, at range but still happy. The range itself has not come down and the throughput at range is still strong enuf to where I won't be using the repeater.

My nestcam will still disconnect for a half hour or so a day, my fire stick will not settle on a band thus giving erratic performance(this one seems to be because it's right in the borderline of 2.4 and 5ghz range). These are the issues I had day 1 and still persist, I haven't done any troubleshooting on them to this point. The rest works infinitely better on smart connect then it ever did. About 3 weeks in on it, still no drops complaints from family on their various devices. Have usable level wifi(20mbps or more in my book) in furthest stretches of house when I didn't before.

I know there has been a discussion on using a phone to measure quality, by in large it's what I been using as for me personally, it becomes a good measure of that all important 'everyday, real life' use. I know it's not a true qualitative measure but then again, same dynamics of testing with a ac3200 and every router before it, the experience wasn't on par to now. It took a repeater before to get the numbers at range I get now, and then that meant another ssid and connection battles.

Yep, the numbers I got from day 1 have come down, at range but still happy. The range itself has not come down and the throughput at range is still strong enuf to where I won't be using the repeater.

My nestcam will still disconnect for a half hour or so a day, my fire stick will not settle on a band thus giving erratic performance(this one seems to be because it's right in the borderline of 2.4 and 5ghz range). These are the issues I had day 1 and still persist, I haven't done any troubleshooting on them to this point. The rest works infinitely better on smart connect then it ever did. About 3 weeks in on it, still no drops complaints from family on their various devices. Have usable level wifi(20mbps or more in my book) in furthest stretches of house when I didn't before.

I know there has been a discussion on using a phone to measure quality, by in large it's what I been using as for me personally, it becomes a good measure of that all important 'everyday, real life' use. I know it's not a true qualitative measure but then again, same dynamics of testing with a ac3200 and every router before it, the experience wasn't on par to now. It took a repeater before to get the numbers at range I get now, and then that meant another ssid and connection battles.
Try setting the Network Key Rotation Interval to zero, its listed on how to do that in another post about the 88u and smartconnect if you are using it. Once I did that, a couple of clients that were doing hourly reconnects stopped doing that. Its been rock stable since.

I need help :)
I get this in in system log
Dec 2 11:40:06 kernel: CONSOLE: 204332.621 wl0: wlc_ampdu_recv_addba_resp: Failed. status 37 wsize 4 policy 1

Dec 2 11:40:06 kernel: CONSOLE: 204332.621 wl0: wlc_ampdu_recv_addba_resp: Failed. status 37 wsize 4 policy 1
Other than this system log message, what symptoms are you seeing?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

upgrade to 838 firmware, those messages will go away.