What's new

Asus RT-AC68 offered 3.0.0.4.384_45708

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Question: was a router reset to factory defaults including checking the 'initialize all settings' button and/or also formatting the jffs partition on next boot performed on these affected routers?

If not, the process of getting the router to a good/known state may clear up the issues for those here.

On my previous RT-AC68U, I did not see those errors at all after a full M&M Config (see my signature for links below) running RMerlin 384.10.

A few more messages appeared in the System Log:
Code:
Mar 30 11:04:36 acsd: scan in progress ...
Mar 30 11:04:37 acsd: scan in progress ...
Mar 30 11:04:37 acsd: scan in progress ...
Mar 30 11:04:37 acsd: selected channel spec: 0xe03a (52/80)
Mar 30 11:04:37 acsd: Adjusted channel spec: 0xe03a (52/80)
Mar 30 11:04:37 acsd: selected channel spec: 0xe03a (52/80)
Reset to factory default is long ago, I give it a shot.

[EDIT]
Reverted to factory defaults an manual configured the router again, let's see what the log comes up with.
Nice to see the new (since wen?) setup wizard.

Last edited:
A few more messages appeared in the System Log:

Those messages indicate that the acsd daemon is looking for the best channel to use. They are not error messages, just debugging messages showing up if you set channels to Auto.

I'm getting the same SquashFS error as other people.

Code:
Mar 30 23:20:00 kernel: SQUASHFS error: xz_dec_run error, data probably corrupt
Mar 30 23:20:00 kernel: SQUASHFS error: squashfs_read_data failed to read block 0x187b0a6
Mar 30 23:20:00 kernel: SQUASHFS error: Unable to read data cache entry [187b0a6]
Mar 30 23:20:00 kernel: SQUASHFS error: Unable to read page, block 187b0a6, size 4f78
Mar 30 23:20:00 kernel: SQUASHFS error: Unable to read data cache entry [187b0a6]
Mar 30 23:20:00 kernel: SQUASHFS error: Unable to read page, block 187b0a6, size 4f78

Since updating my rt-ac1900p I've been getting a squashfs error in my log every 2 min. I've tried rebooting and factory resetting.

Mar 29 23:17:21 kernel: SQUASHFS error: Unable to read page, block 187b0a6, size 4f78
Mar 29 23:19:21 kernel: SQUASHFS error: xz_dec_run error, data probably corrupt
Mar 29 23:19:21 kernel: SQUASHFS error: squashfs_read_data failed to read block 0x187b0a6
Mar 29 23:19:21 kernel: SQUASHFS error: Unable to read data cache entry [187b0a6]
Mar 29 23:19:21 kernel: SQUASHFS error: Unable to read page, block 187b0a6, size 4f78
Mar 29 23:19:21 kernel: SQUASHFS error: Unable to read data cache entry [187b0a6]
Mar 29 23:19:21 kernel: SQUASHFS error: Unable to read page, block 187b0a6, size 4f78

..I've the same problem... I resetted and reflashed firmware several times, but the problem persists .. I don't know if it is important or if it has something to do with it: I come from the Merlin firmware 384.10

I am going to try a factory reset tonight. We will see if it helps.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone running this firmware not have this SQUASHFS issue?
Since it seems to be a corruption issue, I wonder if it matters how it was flashed. Besides the gui, there's
  1. Recovery app
  2. mini-CFE
  3. ssh command line (mtd-write2)
  4. ftp
With the 1st two options the router is not yet booted.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, does anyone running this firmware not have this SQUASHFS issue?
Since it seems to be a corruption issue, I wonder if it matters how it was flashed. Besides the gui, there's
  1. Recovery
  2. mini-CFE
  3. ssh command line (mtd-write2)
  4. ftp
With the 1st two options the router is not yet booted.

One of the posters said it went away after a little while.

A factory reset seemed to clear things up...but once I put in all my settings the SQUASHFS errors are back. Namely it seemed to appear after aiProtection was switched on again. I didn’t check after every single setting.

Is this a security concern? It doesn’t seem to affect usability. Is it something we can live with cluttering up the logs until the new big firmware hits?

Last edited:
I tried disabling aiProtection, since it seemed to appear after turning that back on. The SQUASHFS error is still there. I haven’t had any issues with the new firmware and wouldn’t have noticed had I not seen other people noting this was in their logs, and then checking mine. I guess I need to take a look at the logs more often.

A factory reset seemed to clear things up...but once I put in all my settings the SQUASHFS errors are back. Namely it seemed to appear after aiProtection was switched on again. I didn’t check after every single setting.

Is this a security concern? It doesn’t seem to affect usability. Is it something we can live with cluttering up the logs until the new big firmware hits?

What are your settings and what features do you enable (maybe the order matters too)?

I don't think it's a security concern, but since it does indicate a hardware failure, I would be doing a full reset once more (make sure you format the jffs partition on next boot too and also do a WPS erase to get the router as 'clean' as possible).

Recreate your settings, one by one, rebooting in between even and checking your logs as frequently until it shows up.

In doing this test, I would first be leaving any customizations alone, just enabling features but leaving them at default settings, at first. With all features enabled and assuming there are no errors up to this point (and after a reboot, waiting 5 or more minutes afterward to be double sure), I would start customizing it even deeper.

Maybe Asus will give you a new router for your work (if an RMA is in order)?

Ac88u @ ac66uhere, updated no factory reset, squash error in log but does not recur powered off/on both routers all ok, ai protection on, can supply more info if required

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

An easy way to reproduce this issue is to go to Adaptive QoS and stay on the Bandwidth Monitor page for 5 seconds or so (and I'm doing this with Apps Analysis OFF, QoS OFF and Web History OFF). I should note I also have Network protection OFF as well as Traffic Analyzer. Then go to the log and you will see the squashfs errors.

As long as I don't go to the Adaptive QoS page my log has been clean for 24 hours.

EDIT: Turning on just the Traffic Analyzer also results in the squashfs errors
EDIT 2: Turning on just Adaptive QoS/App Analysis also results in squashfs errors
EDIT 3: Feedback submitted to Asus support via the Admin section of the router

Last edited:
An easy way to reproduce this issue is to go to Adaptive QoS and stay on the Bandwidth Monitor page for 5 seconds or so (and I'm doing this with Apps Analysis OFF, QoS OFF and Web History OFF). I should note I also have Network protection OFF as well as Traffic Analyzer. Then go to the log and you will see the squashfs errors.

As long as I don't go to the Adaptive QoS page my log has been clean for 24 hours.

EDIT: Turning on just the Traffic Analyzer also results in the squashfs errors
EDIT 2: Turning of just Adaptive QoS/App Analysis also results in squashfs errors
EDIT 3: Feedback submitted to Asus support via the Admin section of the router

So I tried reflashing the FW. I was about to do another factory reset and then setting it up and I saw nfodiz’s post. After disabling aiProtection AND Traffic Analyzer (QoS was never on) the issue has been gone for the last 30 minutes. It was starting immediately before and logging the error every 2 minutes. Quite a shame as I really like the layer of protection from aiProtection. It takes care of a lot of ads before they ever hit your devices.

Edit: Reported error to ASUS through GUI. We’ll see if it persists in the bigger update that’s supposedly due in a few weeks.

Last edited:
So I tried reflashing the FW. I was about to do another factory reset and then setting it up and I saw nfodiz’s post. After disabling aiProtection AND Traffic Analyzer (QoS was never on) the issue has been gone for the last 30 minutes. It was starting immediately before and logging the error every 2 minutes. Quite a shame as I really like the layer of protection from aiProtection. It takes care of a lot of ads before they ever hit your devices.

I'm not sure which router you have? You can try to use a USB drive and amtm, Skynet, Stubby and Diversion to offer you similar features.

Dear all,

just wondering what is the consensus about upgrading to this version of firmware?

I have 3 routers arranged in AiMesh configuration, both nodes are on ethernet backhaul. HOWEVER, I am experience frequent wifi-disconnect when my mobile devices are connected to the node (when they are close to the AiMesh router, the connection is very stable).

This version of firmware is supposed to "Fixed AIMesh connection issues", and I am curious if more experienced users would recommend upgrading?

regards,

Last edited:
Dear all,

just wondering what is the consensus about upgrading to this version of firmware?

I have 3 routers arranged in AiMesh configuration, both nodes are on ethernet backhaul. HOWEVER, I am experience frequent wifi-disconnect when my mobile devices are connected to the node (when they are close to the AiMesh router, the connection is very stable).

This version of firmware is supposed to "Fixed AIMesh connection issues", and I am curious if more experienced users would recommend upgrading?

regards,

It's sort of 'no pain, no gain' these days with ASUS firmware. Since you are having issues now, I would go for the upgrade and leave the Trend Micro stuff disabled for now.

If one of your nodes is the same build as your router, you could upgrade and configure it as your router and upgrade the remaining node and then test that for a few days. If you decide to go back, downgrade/reset the nodes and add them back to your current router. Otherwise, upgrade the current router to add as node to complete the system upgrade.

After you upgrade/downgrade, I would perform a factory default reset with initialization via the GUI before configuring AiMesh.

When switching roles of identical routers, you'll have opportunity to see if the connection issue is hardware-related and moves with the router.

OE

Dear all,

regards,
Keep your current firmware. I wouldn't count of the new release to fix that issue.
Either adjust your Roaming Assistant threshold or disable it. AiMesh is not magic and it requires some fine-tuning to work correctly in various environments. With 2 nodes and a parent router, you might have a placement issue. Too much overlap in some areas and too little in others. One or more nodes might be getting interference. Try changing to a different channel.

Also turn off Universal Beamforming and Airtime fairness.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!