What's new

Asus RT-AC68R Will Not Hold Guest Network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cosrocket

Regular Contributor
A few days ago, I was visiting a friend who has the Asus RT-AC68R router. He asked me to enable the guest network, so I logged into the router and noticed there was a firmware update, so I did it first and then went into the guest network settings and enabled the first 2.4Ghz guest network, gave it a name and chose WPA2 security, gave it a password and chose to stay active for 3 hours and then clicked apply (I left intranet disabled). The router rebooted and I checked in the wireless network list and the SSD of the guest network was there.

Yesterday he told me that someone who was visiting him tried to log on to the guest network on their android phone and got a message that said the phone was out of range (even though it was in the house). He then went on his Mac and checked the wireless network list and the guest network SSD was not there. So, I went over and logged into the router and saw that the guest network I had created was gone and all 3 guest networks said “enable” (which means the one I created had become disabled. So I did it all over again and made sure I could log onto the guest network on my phone and that it showed up in the wireless network list on his Mac. Well this morning he told me the same thing happened all over again.

I went over before and saw that again the guest network had become disabled and decided to try and create a guest network on the 5Ghz band. I went through the settings and chose it to stay active for 3 hours, clicked on apply and when the router rebooted it showed the newly created guest network with “indefinite” up time (even though I chose 3 hours.) I did it 2 more times and each time no matter what I chose for the guest network to stay online after the router rebooted it said “indefinite” as the uptime.

So…what is going on? If it’s the firmware (I didn’t notice what version it is, but it must be the latest as this was only a few days ago) can I downgrade the firmware and see what happens? Or is there anything else I can try? Thanks for your help.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!