What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.4561 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Not a good idea to remove antenna and use the continue to use the router with the radio's on.

Could burn out the unit.

At 80mw I would have thought that pretty low power to burn out radio. How low can you set the radio power 200mw is max can you set it to 0?

I confirm that I have latest fw on my rt-ac68u several apple devices and only one android device. Also when my android device is powered off the router reboot a lot of times per day.

Since I've installed Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4_374.39_0 this problem is gone away!!!

By the way I can try also the latest beta version(4_374.40_beta1) or do you suggest me to wait until it is more stable ?

I don't have a solution to the AC68U reboot issues, so for now the latest stable version for that router remains 374.40 alpha 4.

At 80mw I would have thought that pretty low power to burn out radio. How low can you set the radio power 200mw is max can you set it to 0?

Minimum is 20 mW.

Does 39_0 have the gradually slowing wireless speeds bug that many earlier firmwares had?

I never experienced that problem, so you will have to try and see for yourself if your specific adapter has such a problem with it.

I had reboot issues with 4561 and this is a non-Apple household.

I'm going to have to take this back. There's the distinct possiblilty that I have transient Apple invaders in my house (neighbors kids), so don't eliminate the Apple link. Actually, that might explain why I almost got through 4 days with 4561 before having any issues.

I'm going to have to take this back. There's the distinct possiblilty that I have transient Apple invaders in my house (neighbors kids), so don't eliminate the Apple link. Actually, that might explain why I almost got through 4 days with 4561 before having any issues.

i was about to mention thats its possible for apple products to be on some routers even though the owners think they aren't. or some ipod touch or something. But then merlin mentioned he had reboots with no apple product so i figured he would 100% know if apple was on his router.

I know for a fact that it's not strictly triggered by Apple devices (I've had two reboots myself in two weeks, and I have no Apple products here), just wondering if people with a LOT of reboots were all using Apple products.

Aiclod, USB 3.0, USB 2.0, FTP, 2 iPhone, 3 iPads, 1 MacBook Air, 1 Time Capsule and still with not reboot issues in 40 Beta 1...

Thanks

Aiclod, USB 3.0, USB 2.0, FTP, 2 iPhone, 3 iPads, 1 MacBook Air, 1 Time Capsule and still with not reboot issues in 40 Beta 1...

Thanks

Do you have any game consoles such as PS4 or Xbox 360? I am wondering whether these are causing the problem. When I was on 374.4561 it rebooted at 2am when no one was on. But my PS4 could have woken up at that time to look for firmware updates. Since Asus was having difficulty reproducing the problem I would conjecture that they don't have any game consoles at work. If they do have game consoles at work I want to work there ;)

Minimum is 20 mW.

I honestly don't' think the power setting does anything.

I set it to 20mw or 200mw....and there is no change at all in range. Maybe it's a US thing.

Back when I had my Cisco E2000 with Tomato fimrware it...it defaulted to Singapore are the set region...and that's power settings worked fine.

I definitely say that Apple hardware is a big player is this crazy game....not saying its the main cause, but certainly a big player.

I just had a friend of mine which has an iphone 5s connect to my 5ghz wifi on my AC56U....and it worked fine for a few minutes..then router rebooted.

Did this 3 times in the 1 hr he was here....I haven't had any random reboots until his iphone was connected. Been nearly 2 days since he left...and no reboots.

I wonder if Apple devices are sending some form of beaconing or data packet that the new firmware doesn't know how to handle. If my ipod is home (non 5 ghz) I have constant reboots, and very few if it's truly powered down, not asleep

Sent from my Venue 7 3730 using Tapatalk

Apple products have no sense of community with other (non-apple) products. They have to play with the bigger rules/standards if they want to play at all.

This is what has to change or will be their downfall.

They work great when introduced or if a user stays within the fruity ecosystem - but these issues (above) just convince me of how inferior those products are in todays world where every device can (and does) affect all others.

I am running an AC68U in Access Point mode, and have been running on the latest Asus release from 2 to 6 days between reboots. I have the 5GHz radio off.

Most of my devices are Apple (phones, MacBooks). I have been looking at the router log trying to tie the dates of the reboots to any specific usage that might have occurred.

It could be total coincidence, but I see the reboot dates aligned with the days I used Windows laptops to VPN into my office. The VPN access was using local VPN clients on the laptops, and was simply passing through the router.

I have constant reboots and don't own a single apple product.

So, what is unique then to your setup? There must be some common thread(s), right?

Is it possible that its not really a given device that causes it but rather something a given device is broadcasting back to the router that the firmware sees as a reboot command ? I am no expert just throwing out a thought.

Last edited:
Do you have any game consoles such as PS4 or Xbox 360? I am wondering whether these are causing the problem. When I was on 374.4561 it rebooted at 2am when no one was on. But my PS4 could have woken up at that time to look for firmware updates. Since Asus was having difficulty reproducing the problem I would conjecture that they don't have any game consoles at work. If they do have game consoles at work I want to work there ;)

Yes, I have a Xbox 360, PS3 and Xbox One.
I think my PS3 are configured for wake up and check for new updates.
I'm sure both Xbox not.

I forgot to mention. I hv a ps3 wired to one of LAN ports of the ac68u.my ubuntu server is running plex media server.

RT-AC68 reboots

I'm starting to detect more and more of a trend here, so just to confirm it, I'll ask again:

Anyone experiencing frequent random reboots who does NOT have an Apple product?

It's starting to look like the issue mostly happens to people using Apple products (mainly iPads and iPhones). If that's the case, then that could be a hint to pass to Asus in their attempts to reproduce the issue. I'm sure someone in their R&D department will have access to an iPhone or an iPad to test it.

There is no trend. I have 12 clients none of them Apple. After installing your .40 firmware, router was ok for like 7 hours and then it started to reboot like every 1-2 hours. All that was happening on my network was streaming video from my overseas slingbox and my 2 OBIs for the phone. There have not been any reboots prior to this firmware.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!