What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.4561 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I asked the same question was told no there wasn't enough of a change to warrant a reset. I didn't factory reset and I have reboots. Im sure the ASUS people factory reset (and why they cant recreate) when they load a FW and why I began to think that may fix the issue. Im waiting for the weekend to try.

Did a factory reset here by pressing and holding the back reset button for 15 seconds.

Still router reboots randomly after 3-4 days.

Is this the correct way to factory reset RT-AC68U? Is there any other way? Do we need to reset some NVRAM or something?

Did a factory reset here by pressing and holding the back reset button for 15 seconds.

Still router reboots randomly after 3-4 days.

Is this the correct way to factory reset RT-AC68U? Is there any other way? Do we need to reset some NVRAM or something?

If you had to reenter all your settings again and set it up from scratch you have done a factory reset. Not sure about the NVRAM reset.

I give up to the latest version. Asus-wrt is rebooting under low wireless throughput, Merlin the same.
But today I saw something new. I was moving ~2 terabytes from one storage to another and router reloaded! Though there were 2 idle wireless clients, both with excellent signal. Both storages are on wires and the speed was around 500mbps

That was way above my tolerance! As soon as the router resume its operation, I got back to 3.0.0.4.374_583. I resumed the migration while I took my phone to an area with low signal and watch Youtube HD. Not a single problem! Streaming was working and migration is done by now!

Ok, I know there are some known exploits running out there, but I have no SMB or FTP or any other service running on my router. I paid for a powerful and reliable router with wireless services but the latest firmware is a shame for Asus!

I will not upgrade it to a new firmware that easy! I need only basic services, but I need it stable and fast. I'm not asking too much! I hope the experiments they are doing now with Asus-wrt will not kill their business!

The thread slowed down a lot. Did you guys find a fix or you just gave up on Asus official firmware and switched to Merlin's ?

Gave up on Asus firmware and use Merlins. It seems alot of people are also returning the 68u. My wife works for one of the big box stores in claims and she said there is a pile of them that have been returned.

This is not good news for Asus i think they have had more then enough time to figure this out and so far nothing. I know personally if there was no Merlin mine would have been returned as well. :(

Gave up on Asus firmware and use Merlins. It seems alot of people are also returning the 68u. My wife works for one of the big box stores in claims and she said there is a pile of them that have been returned.

This is not good news for Asus i think they have had more then enough time to figure this out and so far nothing. I know personally if there was no Merlin mine would have been returned as well. :(

May I ask an important question? Early Merlin firmwares for the RT-N66U and such did not have the beamforming features that made these routers really special. Is it still the case?

I can see how beamforming really makes a world of difference (I start with 3 lines of signal and I end up with 5 after a few seconds).

No need to return the 68U...just use the older firmware(.583)....or get the AC56U as it has had much less issues.

Last edited:
Asus' 583 works fine too.

Attachments

• 583 days.JPG
    583 days.JPG
    10 KB · Views: 540
I managed to go 12 days without a reboot on Merlin 40 beta 3 but then it rebooted while I was streaming a 720p60 video to my Dell Win8.1 Ultrabook.

Of course the most helpful get moved up and on.

I have owned asus products for some almost 14 years. I have both a Rampage Extreme II and a Rampage IV Extreme. Ever since they started with the bios flash back they have become very sloppy with firmwares. Even with R4 board they put out 2 bad firmwares in a row till they finally fixed the issue. Issue was random lockups. They really need to pass on betas to groups like this to test before they pass it out as a final version. It would save ASUS many headaches.

The ease of which you can update a bios these days allows many novices to load a broken firmware and become easily dissatisfied with their products.

I mentioned this in post 497 There is nothing mentioned on the site about reverting back firmware to fix people take the latest load it on. It reboots which means broken to them and they return. Bad way to do business.

Rmerlin, is the printer server code in alpha 4 broken? I can see my Samsung clp-320 over USB in the web-interface but my computer can't find it, the asus tool that you can download can't find it either and even manually setting it up fails to print? :confused:

Rmerlin, is the printer server code in alpha 4 broken? I can see my Samsung clp-320 over USB in the web-interface but my computer can't find it, the asus tool that you can download can't find it either and even manually setting it up fails to print? :confused:

I think you posted into the wrong thread.

I think you posted into the wrong thread.

No offence but we established that alpha 4 is the most recent stable firmware for the RT-AC68U, and I know RMerlin is reading this thread. If it's broken I won't be the only one in this thread having this problem.

for some reason 4561 is working stable for me - 26 days
beside one thing, it disconnects me from time to time from WiFi, both 2.4 and 5GHz (LAN is stable).
its kinda annoying when I'm remotely connected to work using CiscoVPN and suddenly kicked from server.
nothing in logs regarding this issue. anyone else noticed same behaviour?

yay, my 1 post :D

the new firmware has issues with ntp servers .if you try under administration to set another time zone .you will found out this firmware will not adjust time with ntp servers .I live in copenhagen (GMT+1) but I have to set the time zone to London (GMT+0) to make time right but the sad part is that the WIFI is also adjusted to what channels is allowed in that area (EU,USA,Asia,etc).it's like the router is looking in yours pc or mac to look at time zone because when you try to adjust to right area the router say's under administration System
"the time zone is different from system time " and don't adjust the time and Date
peterl1

No offence but we established that alpha 4 is the most recent stable firmware for the RT-AC68U, and I know RMerlin is reading this thread. If it's broken I won't be the only one in this thread having this problem.

None taken!
Merlin is using this thread most of the time: http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42

I'm pointing this for the sake of clearness. This is mostly a thread about the latest painful Asus-wrt.
I hope you didn't take it as an offence.

ASUS new firmware 3.0.0.4.374.4561

I too had reboots(once a day) with this new firmware. Also, none of the computers could see the attached network drive. This is is a WD 2 TB drive connected via the 3.0 USB port. Once I reverted back to the 3.0.0.4.374.371 version the drive was once again visible to all computers. So far, only 1 reboot and the system is up for 4 plus days. I still not happy with the slowness of the 2.4ghz band. My settings are control channel-auto, wireless mode-auto and channel bandwidth-20MHz. I have tried other configurations without success. Any suggestions?

As I have followed this thread, it has caused me to wonder something. Not to diminish in the least the problems that are occuring and the fact that this is a commercially available product with generally released micro code causing this problem; we all know that s*&t can happen and almost always does with software, especially considering all the possible permutations and combinations of settings and usage patterns.

So, what I was wondering, this being a forum focused on enthusiasts; to what extent is it like (as my wife once put after we were the subject of a pick pocket experience) hanging around the police station and getting the impression crime is rampant? Is the community of users here more likely to be using the advanced features of the the switch, using capabilities that average joe user might not need nor use, and thus more likely to experience the issue.

The trade press is often keen to jump on manufacturers who have really buggy products and help spread the word. Have not really seen any mention of this outside of this forum.

Just wondering? BTW, I have not even tried 4561 based on the reports - have stuck with 583 for now, and quite stable.

As I have followed this thread, it has caused me to wonder something. Not to diminish in the least the problems that are occuring and the fact that this is a commercially available product with generally released micro code causing this problem; we all know that s*&t can happen and almost always does with software, especially considering all the possible permutations and combinations of settings and usage patterns.

So, what I was wondering, this being a forum focused on enthusiasts; to what extent is it like (as my wife once put after we were the subject of a pick pocket experience) hanging around the police station and getting the impression crime is rampant? Is the community of users here more likely to be using the advanced features of the the switch, using capabilities that average joe user might not need nor use, and thus more likely to experience the issue.

The trade press is often keen to jump on manufacturers who have really buggy products and help spread the word. Have not really seen any mention of this outside of this forum.

Just wondering? BTW, I have not even tried 4561 based on the reports - have stuck with 583 for now, and quite stable.

I thought it was my settings as well, so I reset the router to factory default, and did not change a thing, other then the Wifi Password. It still reset.

I can get it to happen pretty much on command by using my iPhone 5, and walking away from the house. As soon as the reception is at 1 bar, the router resets.

With the latest defective firmware.

The System up time on mine was 24 days+ but now the last two days at least 3-4 reboots everyday.

Do this things go bad by themselves in a month or what, I'm puzzled now.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!