What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.4561 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

They ever going to support Iphones tethered to these routers?

When hurricane Sandy came through we lost all communication except cell service. Would have been handy to connect my phone to it and have wireless for everyone.

Works on DD-WRT. You can set it up on the WAN connection -> Iphone Tethering.

How do you load Merlin firmware? I loaded 2 times on my router still says the latest firmware version. Figured it would say merlins version number.

How do you load Merlin firmware? I loaded 2 times on my router still says the latest firmware version. Figured it would say merlins version number.

Merlin firmware loads just the same a Asus firmware. Did you make sure you unzipped the file ? Also make sure you have no usb devices plugged in when you upgrade. If that dont work i am not sure whats could be the issue. I have bounced back and forth with Asus and Merlin firmwares and never had a issue flashing them.

Merlin firmware loads just the same a Asus firmware. Did you make sure you unzipped the file ? Also make sure you have no usb devices plugged in when you upgrade. If that dont work i am not sure whats could be the issue. I have bounced back and forth with Asus and Merlin firmwares and never had a issue flashing them.

I had an air card plugged in a USB port. Pulled it and that made it take. Thanks.

I just got a brand new router a few days ago that shipped with 3.0.0.4.374_4561 firmware installed.

There's definitely something wrong with this firmware version. I didn't experience any reboots, but I was seeing horrible performance when connected with 2.4GHz clients.

With my old RT-N16, running an online bandwidth speed test would peak at 15mbps download (which is the speed cap from my provider). With the new RT-AC68U, I could only get 1.5mbps download at best. I tried both my desktop (connected to a Trendnet wireless bridge) and my ASUS laptop (using the built-in wireless) with the same result.

I switched to Merlin 374.40 alpha 4 and the 2.4GHz performance problem is completely gone. Based on the numbering and the changelog, I think that this Merlin firmware is the last version before the merge with Asus's 374_4561 GPL code, which would make sense why it doesn't have the problem.

So is it safe to upgrade from the 3.0.0.4.374.40_alpha4 yet ? :)
Edit: well, a quick look at the changelog .. seems fixed.. yay! will try the 3.0.0.4.374.43_2 now!

Last edited:
so could this be my issue too?
I have a Synology NAS that I can connect to via 2 laptops internally via Wifi no problem from my external DDNS address.
But on my one laptop, connected via ethernet to the Asus router, it wont connect to the NAS. Connect same computer via wifi and it works fine. both connections will work via 192.168. address but using the DDNS just said 'Loading..." on LAN.
I tried disabling the NAT Loopback and rebooting but no such luck.
I can also connect via LAN to an apple router with bridge mode enabled and itll connect fine...

I have a Synology. This is how I fixed network problems.
Setup:
Synology/Network/Network Interface/Lan1/Edit: Set static IP address 192.168.1.250, subnet 255.255.255.0
Synology/Network/Network Interface/Lan1/Edit: Fill in the router IP for Gateway and DNS, Check off "Set as default gateway"
Asus Router/LAN/DHP Server: Set the ending pool addres to something like 192.168.1.240.

Basically it needs a static address outside the routers auto assigned IP range. This has worked fine for both in network and outside connections.

Does this 3.0.0.4.374.4561 has VPN client tab ? my stock( or auto upgraded version) RT N56U had one but I upgraded latest which didn't have VPN client . using Padavan now for VPN client but cannot stop or switch back and forth to local IP. Also there is no option for multiple VPN configure. Which suitable Asus driver has VPN client for RT N56U?

Does this 3.0.0.4.374.4561 has VPN client tab ? my stock( or auto upgraded version) RT N56U had one but I upgraded latest which didn't have VPN client . using Padavan now for VPN client but cannot stop or switch back and forth to local IP. Also there is no option for multiple VPN configure. Which suitable Asus driver has VPN client for RT N56U?

This is a very old version of firmware.

Recommend you download and install RMerlin' firmware 380.63 instead.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/release-asuswrt-merlin-380-63-is-now-available.35561/

Unplug any USB devices, reboot the computer then flash the firmware above. Now, follow the (required) links below to get your router and network devices in a good/known state.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac66u-slow-wan-to-lan.12973/page-3#post-269410

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

Thanks and sorry if I misguided you can we install RMerlin 380.63 in RT N56U ?

Apologies for misreading your post. No, RMerlin's firmware isn't supported on you model.

Search for Padavan's firmware, instead. :)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!