What's new

[ASUS RT-AC85P] - Any information?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

E3000

Occasional Visitor
Hey guys, I'm new around here :) love the forums!

I have just come across the RT-AC85P and cannot find any information on it other than the official site and some e-tailers selling it.

My questions are...
  • Is this a new device?
  • Is it a replacement for RT-AC68U?
  • Will it be supported in Merlin firmware?
  • Does it have a Broadcom chipset?
I guess if i cannot find anything there probably isn't much information out there, but this seems as good a place to ask as any. I hope it makes a few people aware so we start to see more about it as this site hasn't mentioned it either.

Thanks in advance all and keep up the good work ;)

Well according to wikidevi:

• Is this a new device? - Yes
  • Is it a replacement for RT-AC68U? - Doubt it. Looks like an update of the RT-AC85U
  • Will it be supported in Merlin firmware? - No
  • Does it have a Broadcom chipset? - No, MediaTek

Well according to wikidevi:

• Is this a new device? - Yes
  • Is it a replacement for RT-AC68U? - Doubt it. Looks like an update of the RT-AC85U
  • Will it be supported in Merlin firmware? - No
  • Does it have a Broadcom chipset? - No, MediaTek
Thanks for clearing that up! Definitely not one to buy then eh... I was thinking about buying RT-AC68U but it seems to be coming very close to being EOL. Is RT-AC86U better in every way?

I was thinking about buying RT-AC68U but it seems to be coming very close to being EOL. Is RT-AC86U better in every way?
yes for sure

85U or P is something like a little brother of 86U, but seems never will get Merlins attention.

Last edited:
Thanks for clearing that up! Definitely not one to buy then eh... I was thinking about buying RT-AC68U but it seems to be coming very close to being EOL. Is RT-AC86U better in every way?
I have an RT-AC68U and it's been a dependable unit. I would also suspect that it might be coming to its EOL if it wasn't for the fact that they keep re-releasing under other names, i.e. RT-AC66U_B1, etc.

In terms of hardware the RT-AC86U is superior in every way and by quite a margin compared to the RT-AC68U. I've had my eye on one for some time but have been put off by the constant reports of problems with it (crashing, hanging on reboots, etc.) in these forums. To be fair I don't think the problems are that widespread, but it doesn't inspire me with confidence.

Which you buy might depend of your particular circumstances. For example, if your internet speeds are less that 100Mbps you might not see a great advantage in getting the RT-AC86U.

I have an RT-AC68U and it's been a dependable unit. I would also suspect that it might be coming to its EOL if it wasn't for the fact that they keep re-releasing under other names, i.e. RT-AC66U_B1, etc.

In terms of hardware the RT-AC86U is superior in every way and by quite a margin compared to the RT-AC68U. I've had my eye on one for some time but have been put off by the constant reports of problems with it (crashing, hanging on reboots, etc.) in these forums. To be fair I don't think the problems are that widespread, but it doesn't inspire me with confidence.

Which you buy might depend of your particular circumstances. For example, if your internet speeds are less that 100Mbps you might not see a great advantage in getting the RT-AC86U.
That is exactly why i asked. I have seen waaaay more threads and comments about problems with RT-AC86U and its hard to tell if it's just because it's more current or if it actually has more problems. One common one seems to be about the 5GHz WiFi dropping all the time. I would like to hear from those who have experience with both units.

My internet speed is below 100Mbps but as im just buying it now i would like something that will still receive updates when necessary. Also i would like the option to play around with VPN and stuff... If 68U will perform the same with connections i may just opt for that.

That is exactly why i asked. I have seen waaaay more threads and comments about problems with RT-AC86U and its hard to tell if it's just because it's more current or if it actually has more problems. One common one seems to be about the 5GHz WiFi dropping all the time. I would like to hear from those who have experience with both units.

My internet speed is below 100Mbps but as im just buying it now i would like something that will still receive updates when necessary. Also i would like the option to play around with VPN and stuff... If 68U will perform the same with connections i may just opt for that.

I suggest the 86U. I think the hardware is fine. I think any rough edges most likely have to do with AiMesh firmware development across many ASUS routers.

OE

I purchased the 86U to replace my 68U which was working fine. Did I need the 86U, not really, my current internet speed is around 25mb download, but it looks like fiber optic service is only a year or two away so I'm just looking ahead. I have not had any problems so far. I think all the bad press on the 86U was probably on some of the early units. Just flashed to Merlin 384.9 and so far all seems well.

I have definitely been convinced to go with 86U now! Thanks guys :)
Can I ask what modems you guys are using?

I have satellite internet. Modem is supplied by Viasat. No idea about manufacturer.

I have definitely been convinced to go with 86U now! Thanks guys :)
Can I ask what modems you guys are using?

I've always used Arris cable modems, currently an SB6141. If I were buying a new one now, I'd consider the SB8200 in black, which may be available in black or white under various model numbers from various sources.

First thing to do is check your ISP's recommended-modem list. And get a free one from them, if available.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!