What's new

Asus RT-AC86u AC2900 Router Same firmware but different numbers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Beowolve

New Around Here
Hey all, I tried my best to search this but didn’t have any luck finding answers. I don’t even know if the title is correct…

Does anyone know why they both have different ‘Firmware version’ numbers, first router 16_0 and the second 384_82072? Is it just like serial numbers but for firmware?

Nothing is wrong then them or has presented a problem from what I have been experiencing.

I did buy both routers second hand at seperate occasions. The first 16_0 18-24 months ago and the second 384_82072 last week. I asked the sellers but they forgot themselves.

Thank you

85C8D2C5-5C2E-431A-BD4C-0F80C748E3B0.jpeg

The 384 branch of firmware is obsolete and hasn't been updated for over two years. I suggest you manually update each router to the current 386 release which includes critical security fixes.

The 384.16_0 firmware is Merlin's third party firmware, not stock Asus firmware.

P.S. The RT-AC86U isn't an AC1900 device, it's AC2900.

The 384 branch of firmware is obsolete and hasn't been updated for over two years. I suggest you manually update each router to the current 386 release which includes critical security fixes.

The 384.16_0 firmware is Merlin's third party firmware, not stock Asus firmware.

P.S. The RT-AC86U isn't an AC1900 device, it's AC2900.
Thank you so much Colin! I’m all over the place with this thread.

Should I manually update to 386 and then download latest Merlin’s firmware ?

I read that it’s a good firmware but I have to do more as to why it is and why to have it, etc.

The first question to ask yourself is "is there anything about Merlin's firmware that means I want to use it instead of Asus' firmware?".

If the answer is "no" then I suggest you use stock Asus firmware on both routers.

I don't know whether you can change your Merlin firmware back to Asus' using the app, I doubt it. So I suggest you download the current release from Asus to your PC, log into your router's GUI with a web browser and manually update it from there.

Do remember to complete the final step of the update procedure:
7. Please wait for a few minutes until the upload is completed.

Notice: It is recommended to restore to factory default settings by pressing the reset button on the bottom of the wireless router for 5 seconds after doing a firmware update.

Yes, I use my father's router rt-ac86u and mine and my sister's router with them are rt-ax86u and yes I would recommend more people use merlin asuswrt and it is better than asus' own firmware and better dns protection

hould I manually update to 386 and then download latest Merlin’s firmware ?

Manually update both to stock Asuswrt 386_48260. Based on the questions you ask - this is the right firmware for you. You have to reset both routers to factory defaults after the update. This is a big jump in firmware versions - start fresh. Configure manually and not using any saved configuration files.

I would recommend more people use merlin asuswrt and it is better than asus' own firmware and better dns protection

In all my 386 base firmware tests stock Asuswrt is more stable and consistent, including core function Wi-Fi and AiMesh.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!