What's new

ASUS RT-AC86U Dual Band AC2900 Wireless Router Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

if you are running Merlin than you probably activated show beta version, he released today a new beta 384.6
He only informs about his updates and not new asuswrt firmwares!

if you are running Merlin than you probably activated show beta version, he released today a new beta 384.6
He only informs about his updates and not new asuswrt firmwares!

Thanks @Grisu

Still running 3.0.0.4.384.20648 as part of a long term stability test. Router is over 70 days since last reboot with no major issues. Perhaps try this version to determine if it solves some of the issues reported.

bought 2 AC86U as part of a promo.... replacing the AC68U and AC66U_B1

Long story short - both routers have been crashing so often and randomly! As short as an hour , as long as 2 days.... MAX! very random. You can read further with logs and such -> https://www.snbforums.com/posts/412322/

Since this was bought at the same time (2 months back) with both have the same hardware rev R1.5, I've decided to RMA 1 first to see if the problem is on the hardware.

..... AND i can confirm that after the replacement with the new AC86U, and upgraded to latest and n-2 version of firmware; the router is still crashing!

I've sold my AC68U and am using AC66U_B1 which has been stable for 14 days non-stop!

Any idea or clue on what's going on? Loved the AC68s....

My AC86U's have been 100% crash-free on factory firmware. Can't tell from your post if you have tried factory firmware. Since many people are having zero issues, you may need to post your settings, or start experimenting with them, probably turning off bells and whistles if you have them enabled.

The AC86U has started appearing on ebay for reasonable pre-owned prices, so I'm thinking about finally pulling the pin on it to replace my AC68U (800 MHz revision).

A new listing for a nearly new one popped up on ebay today, so I went for it.

My AC86U's have been 100% crash-free on factory firmware. Can't tell from your post if you have tried factory firmware. Since many people are having zero issues, you may need to post your settings, or start experimenting with them, probably turning off bells and whistles if you have them enabled.

I've tested both fw - stock (from n-3 to the latest 3.0.0.4.384.21140) . Still having the same issue after RMA with a new AC86U. As for settings , everything stock, NOTHING on (for the sake of keeping it factory default).... The only thing changed was adding in username for PPoE, DHCP, DNS, and that's about it!

Result - still crashes every few hours/mins.

I've tested both fw - stock (from n-3 to the latest 3.0.0.4.384.21140) . Still having the same issue after RMA with a new AC86U. As for settings , everything stock, NOTHING on (for the sake of keeping it factory default).... The only thing changed was adding in username for PPoE, DHCP, DNS, and that's about it!

I'm another using stock firmware that has had zero issues with crashing and 100% uptime. Haven't messed with any settings other than disabling WPS and uPnP. Not using aiProtect but do have Smart Connect on.

What happens if you do a factory initialization, enable the wireless networks but not any of the WAN/LAN settings, and then leave the router disconnected from the WAN? Or what happens if you disconnect from the WAN without doing an initialization?

My AC86U arrived today, so I set it up and then swapped out my AC68U.

I decided to stick with what I know and installed Merlin 384.5_0 on it. So far so good, no drops or anything untoward has happened.

You should try the latest release, the fw is solid and working well.

I'm going to install 384.6 on it tonight. When I set it up after work yesterday, 384.5 was the most recent stable version on the download site and the .6 versions were just in the beta folder.

Hi

I love the asus ac86u but there is something features that I am trying to enable with no success, here they are:

Can't make the let´s encrypt works with ddns, I followed the tutorial with no success.

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1034294/

image attached.

Attachments

• problem1.jpg
    problem1.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 428
Hi

I love the asus ac86u but there is something features that I am trying to enable with no success, here they are:

Can't make the let´s encrypt works with ddns, I followed the tutorial with no success.

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1034294/

image attached.

DDNS does not work in this router if you have a private IP. Do not ask me why... but as soon as your router is exposed to Internet holding the public IP you will not see this error updating ddns. Just do an script to update ddns as workaround

DDNS does not work in this router if you have a private IP. Do not ask me why... but as soon as your router is exposed to Internet holding the public IP you will not see this error updating ddns. Just do an script to update ddns as workaround

How can I do that?
I am also dealing with several issues trying to configure dual wan on this router :oops:

How can I do that?
I am also dealing with several issues trying to configure dual wan on this router :oops:

This depends on your Internet provider setup/router configuration. In my case for example I am having to put the internet router as BRIDGE mode and then the ASUS router takes the public IP. All other devices are using only the ASUS router.

This set up of bridge I think is better in general, but for the ddns you can do other workarounds.

This depends on your Internet provider setup/router configuration. In my case for example I am having to put the internet router as BRIDGE mode and then the ASUS router takes the public IP. All other devices are using only the ASUS router.

This set up of bridge I think is better in general, but for the ddns you can do other workarounds.

I am using the same configuration, link one with bridge mode and link 2 is like an AP, the asus get the ip from isp router, everytime that I click on ddns I get the message about the invalid certificate :oops:

I am using the same configuration, link one with bridge mode and link 2 is like an AP, the asus get the ip from isp router, everytime that I click on ddns I get the message about the invalid certificate :oops:

If you asus is receiving the public IP it should show it as in the image. It does? or is showing the a prive IP?

Attachments

• Captura.JPG
    Captura.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 541
Yah, looks exactly the same, perhaps mine doenst have the "sun" after ddns, what is that? summer clock/time?

This is not a sun but a a padlock (not the best icon draw :D). I am not sure about the meaning but may refer to the SSL connection and the certificate of the DDNs.

In any case having a public IP it should work for you. Review your DDNS configuration page. Find enclosed how looks like mine. Maybe try with other provider to check if is related with that.

Attachments

• Captura.JPG
    Captura.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 358

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!