What's new

ASUS RT-AC86U Dual Band AC2900 Wireless Router Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thanks for explanation, so which one is better to buy? I am confuse about which one to get :oops::rolleyes:

As usual, it depends on your specific needs. Check the Wireless Buy advice forums here on SNBForums, that question has been discussed many times there in the past few weeks.

As usual, it depends on your specific needs. Check the Wireless Buy advice forums here on SNBForums, that question has been discussed many times there in the past few weeks.

I need power and memory, since my actual ac68u is getting almost 100% because of my usability / 400 / 200 almost 70% of the time in full load,

I need power and memory, since my actual ac68u is getting almost 100% because of my usability / 400 / 200 almost 70% of the time in full load,

If you use advanced features that cause hardware acceleration to be disabled (like Adaptive QoS) and your Internet connection is over 400 Mbps, then both the RT-AC88U and the RT-AC86U would provide a performance upgrade over your RT-AC68U. The RT-AC88U CPU is 40% faster than the RT-AC68U (1.4 GHz BCM4709Co vs 1 GHz BCM4709).

The RT-AC86U's BCM4906 would also be a bit faster than the RT-AC88U.

If you use advanced features that cause hardware acceleration to be disabled (like Adaptive QoS) and your Internet connection is over 400 Mbps, then both the RT-AC88U and the RT-AC86U would provide a performance upgrade over your RT-AC68U. The RT-AC88U CPU is 40% faster than the RT-AC68U (1.4 GHz BCM4709Co vs 1 GHz BCM4709).

The RT-AC86U's BCM4906 would also be a bit faster than the RT-AC88U.

I will disable the QoS and see whats happen, thanks for the help again, probably I will get one AC86U and wait till the 5300ROG drops a little bit $$$

Does Adaptive Qos work with the Asus Routers? I thought I remember someone saying it has issues on all of them (!?!)

Does Adaptive Qos work with the Asus Routers? I thought I remember someone saying it has issues on all of them (!?!)

Works fine for me. In fact the one time it failed to start properly a few weeks ago, I immediately noticed it as a torrent starting totally destroyed my audio streaming. With Adaptive QoS enabled, I can stream audio through shoutcast and torrent a file at the same time without any problem.

Works fine for me. In fact the one time it failed to start properly a few weeks ago, I immediately noticed it as a torrent starting totally destroyed my audio streaming. With Adaptive QoS enabled, I can stream audio through shoutcast and torrent a file at the same time without any problem.

Cool.. I may have got the Adaptive VS Traditional Qos mixed up ... Adaptive works while the other Asus isn't in a hurry to fix, IIRC.

I just picked the AC86U up today on sale. I'm finally "upgrading" my 5 year old N66U which still works fine but the household demands are getting greater. Hopefully will get it up and running by the weekend. Results to follow.

I wonder if there will ever be a chance to have the N66U support AiMesh?

Where did you get it on sale?

Best Buy (Canada) for $229 CDN. Thought that was a great (best? ;) ) buy considering the reviews it is currently getting.

Any big advantages with the AC86U over the RT-N66U (my current router)? My Xbox One X is hardwired. I do SOME file sharing between my two computers from time to time. All my wireless devices are AC capable.

Any big advantages with the AC86U over the RT-N66U (my current router)? My Xbox One X is hardwired. I do SOME file sharing between my two computers from time to time. All my wireless devices are AC capable.
The answer is in your question:
Your RT-N66U supports up to 802.11n, which supports up to 150 Mbps per 1 of the 3 data streams on 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz (many client devices support 1 or 2 data streams).
The RT-AC86U supports 802.11ac, which supports 433 Mbps or more per 1 of 3 data streams on 2.4 GHz and 4 data streams on 5 GHz.
When your client devices do all support AC, you will gain a significant increase in throughput.

Hi,

I’m using the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite as the main router doing the NAT/routing, and the RT-AC68U (with Merlin) in AP mode for wireless.

Getting the new EdgeRouter 4 this week, and thinking about replacing the wireless AP as well.

So my question is, considering the wireless performance only (AP mode), which one is better: the Asus RT-AC86U, or the Netgear R7800?

Thanks

So my question is, considering the wireless performance only (AP mode), which one is better: the Asus RT-AC86U, or the Netgear R7800?

Thanks

Didn't someone just post in this thread or in a new thread about the AC86U having much better range than his 7800?

The answer is in your question:
Your RT-N66U supports up to 802.11n, which supports up to 150 Mbps per 1 of the 3 data streams on 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz (many client devices support 1 or 2 data streams).
The RT-AC86U supports 802.11ac, which supports 433 Mbps or more per 1 of 3 data streams on 2.4 GHz and 4 data streams on 5 GHz.
When your client devices do all support AC, you will gain a significant increase in throughput.
So the main benefit is file sharing speed between my devices?

I'm in the same boat as you. I also have an RT-N66U.. I believe with the 86U the wireless antennas have their own processor that frees the main CPU from doing wireless processes like off-loading. Don't quote me, I'm not 100% sure. I know for sure though the Asus GT-AC5300 does that due to the BCM4908 chip Info

Wifi coverage of 802.11ac is usually better then 802.11n (5 GHz only).
The dual core CPU of the RT-AC-86U is much more powerful then the single core one in the RT-N66U: depending on the number of clients, the overall performance may increase.
When your Internet speed is above 100 Mbps, you may also notice a better performance there.

I posted reasonably detailed comparison of wifi throughput for AC68U, AC3100, and AC86U in this forum. Throughput on 2.4 GHz N and 5 GHz AC at long range were both significantly better for my AC86U compared to my AC68U. And even though AC signal strength was lower than N signal strength at long range, AC throughput was still much better than N. Of course if distance becomes great enough, AC will no longer be faster than N. Its not the exact same device comparison as for your N66U, but figured I'd mention it. Unless you plan to stay on the N protocol for some reason, the AC86U is an excellent choice IMHO.

I posted reasonably detailed comparison of wifi throughput for AC68U, AC3100, and AC86U in this forum. Throughput on 2.4 GHz N and 5 GHz AC at long range were both significantly better for my AC86U compared to my AC68U. And even though AC signal strength was lower than N signal strength at long range, AC throughput was still much better than N. Of course if distance becomes great enough, AC will no longer be faster than N. Its not the exact same device comparison as for your N66U, but figured I'd mention it. Unless you plan to stay on the N protocol for some reason, the AC86U is an excellent choice IMHO.

I normally would "upgrade" when a new wireless spec (a, b, g, n, ac, etc.) is formalized...however, I have never had a router that is as trouble-free as the N66U...it is rock solid. Now that all my devices are AC capable...I am just looking for an AC router that gives me enough of a benefit to move away from my N66U.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!