What's new

Asus RT-AC86U not getting maximum speeds on gigabit fibre

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wmdv1106

New Around Here
Hi folks,

Wondering if you're able to help. Recently upgraded from the ISP-provided router for our gigabit fibre to the Asus RT-AC86U.

With the default settings, I'm only getting about 300/450 mbps download/upload speeds on both wireless and wired (Cat 5e) connections for a range of devices - Windows 10, MAC OS X, iOS.

I expected to get at least 650-750 download speeds at worst when I bought this so was wondering if it's my router configuration capping it somehow?

Thanks in advance!

Hi folks,

Wondering if you're able to help. Recently upgraded from the ISP-provided router for our gigabit fibre to the Asus RT-AC86U.

With the default settings, I'm only getting about 300/450 mbps download/upload speeds on both wireless and wired (Cat 5e) connections for a range of devices - Windows 10, MAC OS X, iOS.

I expected to get at least 650-750 download speeds at worst when I bought this so was wondering if it's my router configuration capping it somehow?

Thanks in advance!

Could you send feedback with system log, wifi log and setting file by the Administration -> Feedback?

Hi folks,

Thanks in advance!
Same issue here with the same model,fibre 250Mbps down 50Mbp up but I only get half.
I discovered if I enable QOS I get full speed!
If I plug in my RT-AC87U I get full speed regardless.

Hi folks,

Thanks in advance!

Can you tell me your network environment? What's the model of your device from ISP?

Just want to add I have gigabit connection from ISP as well and using same router have no trouble with speed. Download speed is bit slow since my family is streaming. When network is not busy I get 940 on both.

What is specs of your Windows 10 and Mac OS devices, I am beginning to think if they are bottle neck for your gigabit connection?

Last edited:
Just want to add I have gigabit connection from ISP as well and using same router have no trouble with speed. Download speed is bit slow since my family is streaming. When network is not busy I get 940 on both.

What is specs of your Windows 10 and Mac OS devices, I am beginning to think if they are bottle neck for your gigabit connection?

It depends on ISP and network environment such as modem or router from ISP. I don't think their issue is OS or client. So they need some configurations such as MAC clone, Bridge, disable DHCP, disable Jumbo Frame. Each ISP has a little bit different method of Gigabit Internet.

Last edited:
It depends on ISP and network environment such as modem or router from ISP. I don't think their issue is OS or client. So they need some configurations such as MAC clone, Bridge, disable DHCP, disable Jumbo Frame. Each ISP has a little bit different method of Gigabit Internet.

Client do matter especially on higher speed, if you system can't process data fast enough no matter what your connection speed are it is not gonna achieve desired target. Especially true with laptop or low end desktop.

If user have to disable their DHCP, use mac clone or deal with jumbo frame that is very poor implementation to begin with or their using lousy modem.

Client do matter especially on higher speed, if you system can't process data fast enough no matter what your connection speed are it is not gonna achieve desired target. Especially true with laptop or low end desktop.

If user have to disable their DHCP, use mac clone or deal with jumbo frame that is very poor implementation to begin with or their using lousy modem.

I don't think so. Do you really think their computers are old junks. Did you read replies from wmdv1106 and faria? 'I discovered if I enable QOS I get full speed!'

You miss the point, while you may get gigabit speed from provider, there has to be min base line for end devices as well. I have seen machine which are almost more than 10 years old and they struggle. Unless we have original specs about original poster it is hard to isolate the cause of slow speed.

It could be browser, testing app, cable or OS kernel or any number of things leading to slow speed. Regarding wifi it could be simple as saturation of radio waves and channel in use by router and client. On average I achieve near 790 Mbps on 5Ghz wifi on my Galaxy S8

It may very well be possible that router is defective, I have it as well and it is working extremely well even under heavy load with full gigabit speed.

Last edited:
I have resolved my half speed issue this weekend but i'm afraid i can't pinpoint what the issue was.
I have disabled everything that i thought was related to hardware acceleration on the router but still had half speed.
While doing this i keeped checking the Hardware acceleration in Tools, it always showed : Runner: Disabled - Flow Cache: Enabled or Runner: Disabled (QoS) - Flow Cache: Enabled
Then i opt out of the Trend Micro Eula and bang , Runner: Enabled - Flow Cache: Enabled, @ this stage after a reboot i got my internet to full speed.

Since then i have been enabling the services that i disabled,Trend -Micro Stuff,Qos Jumbo Frame, Spanning-Tree Protocol , Traffic Analyzer ,etc but now i m getting full speed either with Runner: Enabled or Disabled , so i don't know where the issue was.
What i do know is that i had this problem since i got the RT-AC86U about 4 months ago, the device has been updated in a timely maner wiped several times and as i stated before the RT-AC87U (backup device) did not have this issue .
thanks.

You miss the point, while you may get gigabit speed from provider, there has to be min base line for end devices as well. I have seen machine which are almost more than 10 years old and they struggle. Unless we have original specs about original poster it is hard to isolate the cause of slow speed.

It could be browser, testing app, cable or OS kernel or any number of things leading to slow speed. Regarding wifi it could be simple as saturation of radio waves and channel in use by router and client. On average I achieve near 790 Mbps on 5Ghz wifi on my Galaxy S8

It may very well be possible that router is defective, I have it as well and it is working extremely well even under heavy load with full gigabit speed.

I don't think so. Can you see how Faria resolved his issue now? I told you every ISP has different method of Gigabit Internet.