What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX86 Series(RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.20566

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Clean reinstall went smoothly.

WiFi signals appear as good as they can get.

Ethernet Ports status should label port1 as "1" similar to port2,3,4/LED1,2,3,4 labeling.

Having to hover over a connected port icon to discover its hidden link rate status is a nuisance. A 100Mbps link rate warning to help the user discover a cabling issue is helpful now that the link rate status is hidden.

USB ports should not be grouped with/as Ethernet Ports.

OE

Since installing this firmware my router seems to reboot or drop the 5ghz channel multiple times a day. I don't know if its rebooting or just dropping the channel as most times when I notice it I'm on wifi. It seems to go down for a few minutes then comes back up. I am running AIMesh with 1 AX86S as a mesh node attached via ethernet. Both routers where reset after update, and all configuration settings re-entered manually. Also still experiencing the slow upload speeds on Verizon 1Ghz service as previously discussed in other posts. Was hoping this Firmware might fix that.

Since installing this firmware my router seems to reboot or drop the 5ghz channel multiple times a day. I don't know if its rebooting or just dropping the channel as most times when I notice it I'm on wifi. It seems to go down for a few minutes then comes back up. I am running AIMesh with 1 AX86S as a mesh node attached via ethernet. Both routers where reset after update, and all configuration settings re-entered manually. Also still experiencing the slow upload speeds on Verizon 1Ghz service as previously discussed in other posts. Was hoping this Firmware might fix that.

Does the Wireless Log suggest what specifically is happening at the time of the issue? Reboots are obvious because the log entry date resets to the earlier factory date until the time server updates the router time.

OE

This 388 code base firmware contains almost everything else most folks used to install Asuswrt-Merlin for. There is VPN Fusion for simple selective routing, DDNS with external IP detection, more settings in WAN/LAN pages, DNS-over-TLS, even form of DNSFilter in App. Take a look and decide.
My only gripe is having to use the app for the DNS Filter-like solution. But I just use ISP DNS these days for best household harmony anyway.

If you have issues or feedback about the new Port Status display, please use the Feedback form on the router's webui. It's highly unlikely that anyone from Asus is reading this thread.

Does the Wireless Log suggest what specifically is happening at the time of the issue? Reboots are obvious because the log entry date resets to the earlier factory date until the time server updates the router time.

OE
I can see every morning at 3:00 a.m. my router reboots as scheduled, and as you stated the date in the logs changes until it comes back up and re-attaches to an NTP server. Those are the only actual reboots I see. Now I do see a string of errors and what seems to indicate the router restarts all services and connections, the date doesn't change so I'm guessing its not going completely down and back up again. Unfortunately I'm not proficient enough to fully comprehend what they are telling me. I'll have to do more research to see what if anything I can come up with.

I really wish that the stock firmware would get a better wireless connections log, the one from Merlin is far better, since they are sharing code now, any reason why they don't use something closer to Merlin than what's currently in stock?

Yes, I like this one better. It's part of the whole Asuswrt design language. The reason I don't like added ports map or whatever it is called in 388.

I think we’re saying mostly the same thing. The firmware from Jan 2022 works. When set for 160MHz the router maintains 160MHz. Newer firmware (with the newer driver) doesn’t.

If there was interference, then 160MHz shouldn’t be allowed…period. But the newer versions allow it for a period. And if the router was merely dropping down to 80MHz when no WiFi 6 clients are connected, that would be fine.

But then when 160MHz capable clients connect, the router should upscale again to 160MHz. That has not worked for me since the Jan version which I’m on now. Once the router drops to 80MHz it never goes back to 160MHz. And I do not live near an airport or a missile silo or any other direct source of radar interference.
THIS THIS, is a 100% accurate statement!!

THIS THIS, is a 100% accurate statement!!
No, No, it is not accurate.

Many of us are able to use the 160 MHz all day and all night with no issues. My AX86U drops back to 80 MHz after the last 160 MHz client disconnects and goes back to 160 MHz when the next 160 MHz client connects. This includes AC and AX clients. Note that all AX clients are not 160 MHz! The iPhone in the house is AX but only 80 MHz. However, a Windows desktop with an Intel AC WIFI card is 160 MHz.

You who are doing all the complaining really need to look to your clients and your environment. YOU have something not right. or you have messed with the WIFI settings which now are FUBAR.

My AX 160hz capable clients haven't changed, not one of my 4 AX 160hz clients have magically changed into somethinge else :p they haven't locked 160hz for more than 10 minutes, since the past two updates... BUT they did stay locked before. I won't drag it on, but somethings been off.
No, No, it is not accurate.

Many of us are able to use the 160 MHz all day and all night with no issues. My AX86U drops back to 80 MHz after the last 160 MHz client disconnects and goes back to 160 MHz when the next 160 MHz client connects. This includes AC and AX clients. Note that all AX clients are not 160 MHz! The iPhone in the house is AX but only 80 MHz. However, a Windows desktop with an Intel AC WIFI card is 160 MHz.

You who are doing all the complaining really need to look to your clients and your environment. YOU have something not right. or you have messed with the WIFI settings which now are FUBAR.

Last edited:
Where is this located in the App (Android)?
If you select a Device under the Devices menu it is the "Safe Browsing" option. All it does is use a filtering DNS. Which one it uses depends on which option you select. Strangely Cloudflare isn't selectable in the Web GUI, but if you select security for "Safe Browsing" it will use 1.1.1.2.

If you select a Device under the Devices menu it is the "Safe Browsing" option. All it does is use a filtering DNS. Which one it uses depends on which option you select. Strangely Cloudflare isn't selectable in the Web GUI, but if you select security for "Safe Browsing" it will use 1.1.1.2.
ty - it's working

ty - it's working
Be careful with using the filtering in the app. I set a device to Add Block and it used an Add Guard resolver in Germany. I live in Pennsylvania, US.

This is a bit weird....
Enabling WireGuard VPN after updating my AX86U drops down speed to half.

1664892628897.png

EDIT: Nevermind....found the problem - https://www.snbforums.com/threads/p...fig-file-on-gt-axe11000-w-388-firmware.80651/

It seems NAT Acceleration is off the table....so I guess going back to OpenVPN then. Bbay WireGuard....

Attachments

• 1664892989751.png
    1664892989751.png
    48.2 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
This is a bit weird....
Enabling WireGuard VPN after updating my AX86U drops down speed to half.

View attachment 44587

EDIT: Nevermind....found the problem - https://www.snbforums.com/threads/p...fig-file-on-gt-axe11000-w-388-firmware.80651/

It seems NAT Acceleration is off the table....so I guess going back to OpenVPN then. Bbay WireGuard....
Always best to not use a VPN client on the router if you want full bandwidth. Use the VPN on the PC, phone and etc.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!