What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX86 Series(RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.22068

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

One step in the upgrade process that seems to help a bit is to power cycle the router. That is pull the power from the mains with the router power switch on and the brick connected. 30 seconds or more powered off. Eric has advised this process several times to allow "old" drivers and etc. to clear form the electronics.

One step in the upgrade process that seems to help a bit is to power cycle the router. That is pull the power from the mains with the router power switch on and the brick connected. 30 seconds or more powered off. Eric has advised this process several times to allow "old" drivers and etc. to clear form the electronics.
you mean the power button on the router wouldn't do the same? Turn off, wait a while, turn on again?

Also I find the factory reset a pain, manually entering all settings again I mean....doing it and then restoring from a previous backup doesn't work?

you mean the power button on the router wouldn't do the same? Turn off, wait a while, turn on again?

Also I find the factory reset a pain, manually entering all settings again I mean....doing it and then restoring from a previous backup doesn't work?
I think they recommend the power cord over the switch so all power is cut from the board. The switch may only cut power to certain parts. I had the same question myself, and that's the answer I came up with. As far as a factory reset, there isn't one answer for that one. seems like everyone says and thinks differently on the topic.

Seems to work better the way I explained it and the Eric, AKA rmerlin, recommended method. As in all things your mileage may vary... I said nothing about factory reset but it only takes me 10 minutes to reset and set up an AX86U... Fast router...

Seems to work better the way I explained it and the Eric, AKA rmerlin, recommended method. As in all things your mileage may vary... I said nothing about factory reset but it only takes me 10 minutes to reset and set up an AX86U... Fast router...
takes me longer with getting all these nice client icons (png pictures) sorted again :)

I factory reset and installed 22068 again and now all is perfect, including the GUI.
I decided to give 22068 one more try, but this time with a reset (from the GUI) after the install. So far, it seems to be fine, but 22068 has been both fine and broken right after install, so I will give it a few days and see what happens.

Did not take very long. The broken web GUI problem is still there. 388.22068 on RT-AX86U is not acceptable for me.

Did not take very long. The broken web GUI problem is still there. 388.22068 on RT-AX86U is not acceptable for me.
What part is broken? I still haven't seen any issues after upgrading, and it's been a few days for me. Mind you, I have my settings set, and haven't had to do much in the UI.

What part is broken? I still haven't seen any issues after upgrading, and it's been a few days for me. Mind you, I have my settings set, and haven't had to do much in the UI.
Pages are VERY slow to load. The menu buttons sometimes work, and then don't. Active content does NOT update.

Wireless functionality is fine. If I had no need to log into the router, everything appeared to be working. However, if something needed to be done, using the web GUI is almost impossible.

388.21709 and 388.21224 (used by Merlin 388.1) do not have this problem.

Pages are VERY slow to load. The menu buttons sometimes work, and then don't. Active content does NOT update.

Wireless functionality is fine. If I had no need to log into the router, everything appeared to be working. However, if something needed to be done, using the web GUI is almost impossible.

OK, was just curious. I had read the thread before updating, and since my router was packed away until last sunday. I had no use for it. So when I got into my new place and set it up again, I decided to try it. Since I don't use a VPN, I felt pretty safe about disregarding the reports about WireGuard and other VPN related reports. Then there was the issue of the sluggish GUI reports. So far, haven't experienced problems the few times I've had to login or check things. I'll keep an eye out though, and report any problems that crop up, and whether or not I was able to fix them on my own, or not.

Hey all, Just wanted to double check, for crowded wifi areas, should I leave the 2.4 band set to 20Mhz only, or set it to 20/40? The gateway from Cox defaulted to 20/40, so I wasn't sure. It is more crowded here than my other apartment complex was.

For now I've left my setting of 20mhz for the 2.4 band. Thanks

20 MHz is typically most compatible with IoT devices which often mandate 2.4 GHz only.

Acess page with 22068 is too slow, almost crashing in the menus.

I'm using 21709 instead and everything is fine.

Hey all, I am getting around 750 Mbps down on a 1Gbps connection to an Apple TV 4K (2021) model that's WiFi 6 compatible. I was curious if the latest Asus firmware has WiFi speed issues. I should be getting a bit more I'd think, especially since the Apple TV is in a direct path of the Wifi signal. I'm not having any issues streaming, but thought I would see if this a firmware issue. I've been able to pull 800/900 Mbps over Wifi on various devices before, so that's what raised the question. Thanks

Hey all, I am getting around 750 Mbps down on a 1Gbps connection to an Apple TV 4K (2021) model that's WiFi 6 compatible. I was curious if the latest Asus firmware has WiFi speed issues. I should be getting a bit more I'd think, especially since the Apple TV is in a direct path of the Wifi signal. I'm not having any issues streaming, but thought I would see if this a firmware issue. I've been able to pull 800/900 Mbps over Wifi on various devices before, so that's what raised the question. Thanks
Same here.

Do you remember which asuswrt firmware version gave you 800-900Mbps throughtput?

Anybody knows if Merlin 388.1 is doing better with wifi throughtput than the latests asuswrt fw?

How are you measuring download speed on Apple TV? 750 Mbps seems more than reasonable given that maximum physical connection rate is limited to 1200 Mbps for 5 GHz/80 MHz. WiFi performance is not guaranteed as it depends on a lot of external factors.

Also, ISP connection between modem and router could be at fault. Do you have 2.5 Gbps connection between them? I have seen my 1 Gbps connection limited to lower rates until I reconfigured to use 2.5 Gbps from modem to router — now, I typically see 1000-1150 Mbps on speed tests for wired connections, and somewhat less for WiFi connections (even WiFi 6 5 GHz/160 MHz).

Same here.

Do you remember which asuswrt firmware version gave you 800-900Mbps throughtput?

Anybody knows if Merlin 388.1 is doing better with wifi throughtput than the latests asuswrt fw?
Not off hand, I do know that the Panoramic gateway from Cox did. But it was only WiFi 5. I wanted to use the Asus Router to have the WiFi 6 features for those devices that can use them. Since I'm more limited in running cables in this apartment than the one I moved out of, will have to depend on wireless more. So want the best performance as possible.

How are you measuring download speed on Apple TV? 750 Mbps seems more than reasonable given that maximum physical connection rate is limited to 1200 Mbps for 5 GHz/80 MHz. WiFi performance is not guaranteed as it depends on a lot of external factors.

Also, ISP connection between modem and router could be at fault. Do you have 2.5 Gbps connection between them? I have seen my 1 Gbps connection limited to lower rates until I reconfigured to use 2.5 Gbps from modem to router — now, I typically see 1000-1150 Mbps on speed tests for wired connections, and somewhat less for WiFi connections (even WiFi 6 5 GHz/160 MHz).
I ran the okkla Speedtest app on the Apple TV, and like I said, I haven't had any streaming issues. I simply saw that a WiFi 6 router was giving slightly slower speeds over a WiFi 5 one. I will say that according to Cox, my router ( RT-AX86U) isn't listed on their certified list to work with their gigabit package. The only Asus routers they certify are 3 models. two GT models, and an E12 model I think they said. I'll try switching to the 2.5 Gbps port since I will have to rely on wifi more now. If for no other reason to get the most performance as possible.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!