What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX86 Series(RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.22068

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I ran the okkla Speedtest app on the Apple TV, and like I said, I haven't had any streaming issues. I simply saw that a WiFi 6 router was giving slightly slower speeds over a WiFi 5 one. I will say that according to Cox, my router ( RT-AX86U) isn't listed on their certified list to work with their gigabit package. The only Asus routers they certify are 3 models. two GT models, and an E12 model I think they said. I'll try switching to the 2.5 Gbps port since I will have to rely on wifi more now. If for no other reason to get the most performance as possible.
As long as modem NIC is 2.5 Gbps, it's a no brainer! I realized a several hundred Mbps jump running speedtest on router as soon as I did. As far as the Cox list, they are showing "2 Gbps capable retail routers" which require both WAN and LAN multigigabit ports — the RT-AX86U has a single 2.5 Gbps port which can be configured for LAN or WAN.

EDIT: Oops! Our messages crossed in the ether!

As long as modem NIC is 2.5 Gbps, it's a no brainer! I realized a several hundred Mbps jump running speedtest on router as soon as I did. As far as the Cox list, they are showing "2 Gbps capable retail routers" which require both WAN and LAN multigigabit ports — the RT-AX86U has a single 2.5 Gbps port which can be configured for LAN or WAN.

EDIT: Oops! Our messages crossed in the ether!
Well, at the end of the day, this isn't a big deal since things are stable. I was mainly checking since I've had to change my setup, I'm in a different location now, different provider, etc so just making sure something didn't get messed up along the way. Thanks again.

OK, I did a quick search, the 2.5Gbps port will serve no purpose here. The gateway ports are only 1Gbps ports. See this thread for reference:
Yes, Spectrum locally has been providing "unbranded" modems/routers with 2.5 Gbps NICs for all of their 1 Gbps/35 Mbps customers. I replaced the router with my own Asus router. I currently use the GT-AX6000 to feed my 2.5 Gbps backbone, but I plan to swap GT-AXE16000 (currently AiMesh node) and GT-AX6000 as soon as Merlin firmware updates to newer GPL on GT-AXE16000 that fully supports AiMesh.

Well, at the end of the day, this isn't a big deal since things are stable. I was mainly checking since I've had to change my setup, I'm in a different location now, different provider, etc so just making sure something didn't get messed up along the way. Thanks again.
New location may introduce new WiFi interference as well.

New location may introduce new WiFi interference as well.
Well, and you explained the big difference. I came from Spectrum which had a regular stand alone modem. Cox has the gateway that has to be put into bridge modem to use a third party router, or I have to buy a third party modem that's on their list. Since I can still hardwire my computer, that's the most important thing. As I initially mentioned, I'll give it a couple months and then decide if I want to bring my own modem to the table, or if using the provided gateway will be better. Since renting from them will guarantee a free replacement if something goes wrong, where as if I buy it, and something happens I'd have to pay again up front if it's out of warranty / return period.

Well, and you explained the big difference. I came from Spectrum which had a regular stand alone modem. Cox has the gateway that has to be put into bridge modem to use a third party router, or I have to buy a third party modem that's on their list. Since I can still hardwire my computer, that's the most important thing. As I initially mentioned, I'll give it a couple months and then decide if I want to bring my own modem to the table, or if using the provided gateway will be better. Since renting from them will guarantee a free replacement if something goes wrong, where as if I buy it, and something happens I'd have to pay again up front if it's out of warranty / return period.
You can always ask for gateway with 2.5 Gbps NIC since you are not achieving advertised speeds as it is now.

As I see it... cable modems are cheap and seldom/never fail. I'd buy one and stop renting the COX gateway. (Spectrum here will loan you a free cable modem with a 2.5GbE port, no matter the service tier.)

I have installed two AX86Us on COX and one on Spectrum.

OE

As I see it... cable modems are cheap and seldom/never fail. I'd buy one and stop renting the COX gateway. (Spectrum here will loan you a free cable modem with a 2.5GbE port, no matter the service tier.)

I have installed two AX86Us on COX and one on Spectrum.

OE
I was hoping to stay with spectrum, but the apartment complex I got into contracts with Cox, and, Spectrum doesn't seem to have a large presence here in LA. FL was a different story, they were one of the primary providers. I would have even considered AT&T. My grandma has them and I stayed with her and my mother while I was finding a place, and what I liked about them, is they have the same speed up and down. I'm stuck with Cox here, and its stable. So, can't complain.

I was hoping RT-AX86 series users get a new fixed firmware faster... :rolleyes:

Please, move cable modem and ISP conversations to another thread. Thank you!

Please, move cable modem and ISP conversations to another thread. Thank you!

Yes, lets get back to your posts about the weather where you are.

OE

This weather discussion start?

I have provided the solution for it and even tested it personally soon after. I can provide temperature difference data.

I was referring to your posts in this and various other threads about the weather wherever you happen to be.

OE

Except my replies to weather posts (posts, not pages) I have also tested the firmware and provided the findings. If please, thank you is not effective perhaps it's better to call @thiggins and ask him to clean the thread because the last two pages are completely unrelated to Asuswrt 388_22068 firmware.

Except my replies to weather posts (posts, not pages) I have also tested the firmware and provided the findings. If please, thank you is not effective perhaps it's better to call @thiggins and ask him to clean the thread because the last two pages are completely unrelated to Asuswrt 388_22068 firmware.
Nobody seems to care what you think about the AX86U and firmware 388_22068. After all you just test it and not use it.

As this firmware is working well for many of us the weather report is more interesting....

Nobody seems to care what you think about the AX86U and firmware 388_22068. After all you just test it and not use it.

As this firmware is working well for many of us the weather report is more interesting....
So how many of the issues here are genuine issues related to the firmware vs user error, or specific config related issues? I know personally for me, my AX86U has been reliable once I've learned how to set it for my specific environment.

After all you just test it and not use it.

Sorry, my mistake. Just continue using it. Broken firewall, IPv6 or QoS doesn't matter for me indeed. I figured already I'm wasting my time.

So how many of the issues here are genuine issues related to the firmware vs user error

You have enough data to test for yourself. I'm not doing it anymore and not reporting anything. Not knowing about issues makes users happier.

How are you measuring download speed on Apple TV? 750 Mbps seems more than reasonable given that maximum physical connection rate is limited to 1200 Mbps for 5 GHz/80 MHz. WiFi performance is not guaranteed as it depends on a lot of external factors.

Also, ISP connection between modem and router could be at fault. Do you have 2.5 Gbps connection between them? I have seen my 1 Gbps connection limited to lower rates until I reconfigured to use 2.5 Gbps from modem to router — now, I typically see 1000-1150 Mbps on speed tests for wired connections, and somewhat less for WiFi connections (even WiFi 6 5 GHz/160 MHz).
I use "Internet speed test for Apple TV - Speedtest by Ookla" App on my Apple TV 4K, it is connected to the router via CAT 5 cable and I get 930mbps download on a gigabit connection, and in my case that has never changed, no matter what router firmware I am using...
I think we are reading too much into these incremental firmware updates?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!