What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX86 Series(RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.22068

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I use "Internet speed test for Apple TV - Speedtest by Ookla" App on my Apple TV 4K, it is connected to the router via CAT 5 cable and I get 930mbps download on a gigabit connection, and in my case that has never changed, no matter what router firmware I am using...
I think we are reading too much into these incremental firmware updates?
My initial question was because I came from a wired connection with my Apple TV 4K 2021 model, to a wireless (wifi 6) connection, and I saw the speed difference, if something was wrong with this firmware since I had no previous reference with my RT-AX86U connected to this Apple TV via wireless.

My initial question was because I came from a wired connection with my Apple TV 4K 2021 model, to a wireless (wifi 6) connection, and I saw the speed difference, if something was wrong with this firmware since I had no previous reference with my RT-AX86U connected to this Apple TV via wireless.
I converted all our phone cables in the house (used CAT 5) and replaced all the outlets with Ethernet instead (now using the home phone with CISCO VoIP box), one large Linksys switch in the basement where all the cables comes together, from there it branches off to the Apple TV. Had it on Wi-Fi before but now wired its so much more stable and fast. Wi-Fi sucks :)

I converted all our phone cables in the house (used CAT 5) and replaced all the outlets with Ethernet instead (now using the home phone with CISCO VoIP box), one large Linksys switch in the basement where all the cables comes together, from there it branches off to the Apple TV. Had it on Wi-Fi before but now wired its so much more stable and fast. Wi-Fi sucks :)
I may have the option to use moCA here, as the gateway from Cox supports it. I just don't have any experience with it, or know anyone who does. I can't modify the jacks of course since I'm in an apartment, but there are a few coaxial jacks for a cable connection. I would just have to find the one in the best location near what I want to wire.

I don't know if there is a way from the Asus WebGUI to post this same info, but I am testing my local connection and it seems like the router is working OK. it's handling this high bitrate video just fine without stutter. That was my main concern with the lower connection speed over WiFi was if the bitrate goes higher if things would choke. Seems like it's not having any issues at the moment.

Screen Shot 2023-01-23 at 3.22.06 PM.png

FWIW I downgraded from this firmware release because the router would crash and require a hard reset if i used any VPN fusion connection (NordVPN) that wasn't at the top of the list. I even tried using the same config in multiple slots and the router still crashed.

Am using 3.0.0.4.388_20566 without issue.

FWIW I downgraded from this firmware release because the router would crash and require a hard reset if i used any VPN fusion connection (NordVPN) that wasn't at the top of the list. I even tried using the same config in multiple slots and the router still crashed.

Am using 3.0.0.4.388_20566 without issue.
the same happened to me. also went back to 20566. and will not touch it anymore

I went back and looked at the Asus support site. I think my router had:
Version 3.0.0.4.388.20566 67.97 MB
2022/09/30 on it when I moved, so that's what I upgraded from after I got my new apartment. Based on the release dates of the other two, my router was packed and out of service during those releases except for this current one, which I upgraded to while it is still current. It sounds like if I had to, the firmware I had is a known stable release. However, I still haven't experienced any stability issues. Even with the slightly slower speeds over WiFi vs wired, still gives me a very stable network, and I haven't had any issues. Since my heavy streaming is done on the local network (LAN), it probably doesn't matter what speeds I'm getting from the internet.

FWIW, I'm a new AX86U owner as of about a week ago, and 22068 is running stable for me. I don't have a demanding use case though - some port forwarding, DDNS, WireGuard VPN, and no AIMesh.

Out of the box, I tried the Merlin firmware first, but had some issues even with a clean install / factory reset. After that, I tried a clean install of AsusWRT 22068, and it has performed flawlessly so far.

Last edited:
I thought I had a problem with this firmware, which I have now diagnosed as 'roaming assistant' being enabled (which it is, by default). I have subsequently disabled and the firmware has been perfect. GLA

I thought I had a problem with this firmware, which I have now diagnosed as 'roaming assistant' being enabled (which it is, by default). I have subsequently disabled and the firmware has been perfect. GLA
A lot of those kinds of settings and behaviors I learned about closer to when I started using Asus routers. I have found the best solution for me has been to find out what a setting does, if I don't need it, or it doesn't apply to my situation / setup. Turn it off, so it doesn't cause problems. I'm still learning about certain things today, but for the most part, I've been able to fine tune my settings so my router is optimized for my network.

i have problem with my ax86u, i can not access to router by pc (ip address 192.168.1.2 or address router.asus.com) i only can access through asus router app on phone or tablet

i have problem with my ax86u, i can not access to router by pc (ip address 192.168.1.2 or address router.asus.com) i only can access through asus router app on phone or tablet
The IP is incorrect. The AX models use 192.168.50.1 as stock.

the ip 192.168.1.2 is correct, because i set it in the first time setup and in asus app show it
That's a hard NO. Someone changed it.
Look carefully at my signature.

EDIT: You do know how to clear your Browser Cache on the PC, Yes?

Last edited:

So why can't they access the normal way on the PC. It's somehow related to THEIR customization for which they haven't elaborated. They can access 3 out of 4 ways, what's wrong with the picture???
PC related issue???

PC related issue???

I can't diagnose an issue by single router IP address provided. I don't know. Doesn't sound like firmware related to me. Browser perhaps.

Re-commission the router firmware starting with a hard reset and only your admin PC wired to it to access the router webUI. After configuring the Quick Internet Setup, don't connect or configure anything else until you can successfully login to the router webUI by its set LAN IP address (default IP is 192.168.50.1).

OE

Re-commission the router firmware starting with a hard reset and only your admin PC wired to it to access the router webUI. After configuring the Quick Internet Setup, don't connect or configure anything else until you can successfully login to the router webUI by its set LAN IP address (default IP is 192.168.50.1).

OE

This has come up numerous times, where there appears to be a disconnect with regards to the APP functionality and normal function via the PC.
Perhaps if they used the APP to correct the IP to its stock IP of 192.168.50.1 it would then work correctly on the PC.
I don't use the APP and have no plans to, so I can't say for certain.

Last edited:
This has come up numerous times, where there appears to be a disconnect with regards to the APP functionality and normal function via the PC.
Perhaps if they used the APP to correct the IP to it's stock IP of 192.168.50.1 it would then work correctly on the PC.
I don't use the APP and have no plans to, so I can't say for certain.

Perhaps.

First step imo is to prove normal webUI access with a wired PC and no other connections... get that working before troubleshooting/concluding otherwise.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!