What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX86 Series(RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.22525

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Not really because in Asuswrt-Merlin thread (based on Asuswrt 388_22525) only one user came close to the issue. It's a combination of settings that makes the router unrecoverable with reboot and requires a reset. Not something a user actually using the device for Internet access would do very often. I could reproduce it 2 out of 3 attempts and RT-AX86U actually has 2x undocumented hardware revisions* and I don't know if the other one is affected too.

* - different 2.5GbE controller used, Broadcom and Realtek.

What's not working properly in 388_22525 is Traditional QoS and Bandwidth Limiter with IPv6 enabled. The same as previous firmware.

Yes, it's used for experiments only. Usually I'm trying to replicate issues mentioned around SNB Forums and eventually finding a workaround. Some things I discover by accident like the one above after trying different IPv6 configurations with or without Flow Cache and Runner enabled following another thread here. This is why it's unlikely to be an issue for someone, but still some weird glitch in 388 firmware because it doesn't happen on latest 386 firmware. Yes, I've checked that too. I'm planning to get another popular model to compare my findings because some things are model specific.

I report what I find to Asus. Hopefully it helps making Asuswrt better.

Most likely it will end up donated like the other ones I had before. Home routers are relatively easy and I lose interest fast. Asuswrt-Merlin is what keeps my attention longer with Asus. Otherwise all models have about the same firmware with some different options here and there.

I have a new toy from GL.iNet now, GL-MT2500A. The previous GL-AR750S was donated. Need to deal with the tax season first though. These things are mind distraction and memory fitness for me. I do my homework at the same time as I reply to someone something tech related.

Not really because in Asuswrt-Merlin thread (based on Asuswrt 388_22525) only one user came close to the issue. It's a combination of settings that makes the router unrecoverable with reboot and requires a reset. Not something a user actually using the device for Internet access would do very often. I could reproduce it 2 out of 3 attempts and RT-AX86U actually has 2x undocumented hardware revisions* and I don't know if the other one is affected too.

* - different 2.5GbE controller used, Broadcom and Realtek.

What's not working properly in 388_22525 is Traditional QoS and Bandwidth Limiter with IPv6 enabled. The same as previous firmware.

I also reported a bug with Traditional QOS and Bandwidth limiter affecting WLAN to LAN speeds, with either enabled the transfer speed from my laptop to my NAS which are within the LAN drops by about 25%.
There must be something wonky with how QOS is implemented on the AX86U

with either enabled the transfer speed from my laptop to my NAS which are within the LAN drops by about 25%.

I know about this bug, but I was never able to reproduce it because my test clients are perhaps slow enough to hide it. There was another bug reported for limited upload speed to specific ISP. This one I also can't reproduce on my ISP and 500/30 line. The fact hardware is far from 2.5Gbps capable I believe we all know. NAT acceleration hacks out and the router can do about 350Mbps WAN-LAN only.

There must be something wonky with how QOS is implemented

There is something wonky about QoS with NAT acceleration enabled in general. There is OpenVPN performance drop as well with 386/388 firmware. RT-AC86U with the same cores reaches 250Mbps on OpenVPN in 384 firmware. I was never able to reach >170Mbps on 386 firmware and the same is valid for RT-AX86U on 386/388 firmware. We perhaps have more features now, but some degraded over time.

There is something wonky about QoS with NAT acceleration enabled in general. There is OpenVPN performance drop as well with 386/388 firmware. RT-AC86U with the same cores reaches 250Mbps on OpenVPN in 384 firmware. I was never able to reach >170Mbps on 386 firmware and the same is valid for RT-AX86U on 386/388 firmware. We perhaps have more features now, but some degraded over time.
Openssl 1.1 has a significant performance loss over 1.0.2. i spent days bisecting commits to track down the cause. It came from various cumulative design changes (i forgot the details after all these years), so it wasn't something that could be "fixed".

Hey all,
Is the issue where the clients list stops updating to reflect connects / disconnects still a regular issue? I had that happen where my network was working fine, but I wasn't seeing the clients list being update. I rebooted the router early this morning when the network was idle from daily activities and it's working as it should now. I was just curious if this was still a known issue, and if there were any ways to prevent it going forward.

Thanks

Hey all,
Is the issue where the clients list stops updating to reflect connects / disconnects still a regular issue? I had that happen where my network was working fine, but I wasn't seeing the clients list being update. I rebooted the router early this morning when the network was idle from daily activities and it's working as it should now. I was just curious if this was still a known issue, and if there were any ways to prevent it going forward.

Thanks
I have not experienced that problem with this or other firmware versions.

I have not experienced that problem with this or other firmware versions.
I'm not sure exactly what happened but the reboot fixed it. FYI: I'm running on a clean setup of this firmware e.g. I factory reset and cleared data, and set up as brand new. Something may have just gotten stuck, I had made changes, but didn't reboot initially. Maybe I should have, will keep and eye on it. I usually don't go into the web UI all that much once things are stable.

I'm not sure exactly what happened but the reboot fixed it. FYI: I'm running on a clean setup of this firmware e.g. I factory reset and cleared data, and set up as brand new. Something may have just gotten stuck, I had made changes, but didn't reboot initially. Maybe I should have, will keep and eye on it. I usually don't go into the web UI all that much once things are stable.
I factory reset about a week ago. Had been playing with the settings, VPN, WIFI, IPV6 and etc, and wanted a clean slate. Am now pretty muchback to my "old standard" settings except am using WPA2/ WPA3-Personal.

I factory reset about a week ago. Had been playing with the settings, VPN, WIFI, IPV6 and etc, and wanted a clean slate. Am now pretty muchback to my "old standard" settings except am using WPA2/ WPA3-Personal.
Is there any word on when to expect the next firmware release? As I said, not really having issues other than the one mentioned, so maybe the next firmware will have something to address it, if it's a known issue.

Is there any word on when to expect the next firmware release? As I said, not really having issues other than the one mentioned, so maybe the next firmware will have something to address it, if it's a known issue.
Would expect any day. Likely no major improvements but the next firmware upgrade should do no harm. Would be great to get the upper UNII4 channels...

Would expect any day. Likely no major improvements but the next firmware upgrade should do no harm. Would be great to get the upper UNII4 channels...
@bbunge I'm asking this question strictly from a software prospective vs performance. I've been able to solve my light bulb disconnect issues by isolating the bulbs to Guest Network 1 on the X86U. Since doing that things have been perfect. My question is, the X86U Pro has the guest network Pro feature and has a specific iOT preset. While I wouldn't need this for performance, since what I have is already more than enough, would the additional features it offers for guest networking be of any benefit ? I was hoping to wait for the features to eventually come to the standard X86U. However, no one seems to be able to give me a guarantee as to if that will happen, or not.

I was hoping to wait for the features to eventually come to the standard X86U.

Pro firmware features are not coming to AX86U. Guaranteed by Asus marketing. You need to buy AX86U Pro model.

Pro firmware features are not coming to AX86U. Guaranteed by Asus marketing. You need to buy AX86U Pro model.
I just need to make sure I actually need them before I do. Right now, I'm not sure I need the features, at least not right now.

It took months for you to make sure you need AX86U. No rush. ;)

It took months for you to make sure you need AX86U. No rush. ;)
actually the only thing I need on the Asus is the guest networking, it's advanced enough over the TP-Link router where it actually has something to benefit me. Mainly that it can do multiple guests per band, where as my airport, or TP-Link can only do one, and while that will work, having the ability to do multiple guests if needed is nice. I think the best way to do it from this point is to just stick with what I have until something prompts me to change when this can't provide a specific feature / performance, etc.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!