What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX86 Series(RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.22525

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I switched to my TP-Link AX4400 router over the AX86U. I just couldn't get an issue with certain smart bulbs randomly disconnecting to stop. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the AX86U as all other devices were stable. So I am thinking maybe a hardware / software conflict. So going to test that by changing the router for a bit. I did notice that, I got a faster download speed to my iPhone 12 Pro Max when changing. Maybe resetting the AX86U would fix these things but, I'd much rather try different hardware / software altogether first.

I can say this, I have 9 Wiz bulbs, 5 A19, and 4 A21. Seems like it's only the A21 bulbs that randomly drop and require a power cycle to come back. I'm posting this here could it be some kind of weird conflict with Asus and the bulb hardware / firmware since it's only particular devices that do it. Usually it happens once the bulbs turn off for a while. I have 22 devices on my new network setup, and it's only about these 4 with issues of dropping. Putting the 2.4ghz in Legacy mode didn't even fix it this time around.

Created an account just to say that the latest has been stable for me for about 5 days now. I "upgraded" from a 386 version from August. All the 388 versions have been a complete disaster for me until this one. Installed overtop the 386 and *did not* perform a reset. Have about 60 devices.

Having a strange issue with AX86U on 22525. The client list seems to be stuck to the status as of a couple days ago. It's not showing any of the new devices that have connected since that time. I'm seeing the issue in:
  • Client Status on main web GUI page
  • View List link from main web GUI page
  • Devices list in the Android app
However, I do see the new devices on the System Log - DHCP Leases tab. Also noteworthy, the Android app has been alerting me when new devices connect to the network, but the new devices don't show up on any of the above 3 lists.

I have not rebooted the router. I suspect a reboot would probably temporarily clear the issue, but how long before it shows up again? I'm mostly wondering - is anyone else having this issue? And is there any way I can poke at this list to force it to refresh without rebooting?

Everything else on the router seems to be functioning properly, so this is mostly a nuisance, but I really would like a way to reliably see the devices on my network. I am willing to reboot and/or reset my router if that's my only recourse, just checking to see if this is widespread and if there are any workarounds.

Thanks for any feedback.
Try a cold reboot - unmount any USB drives - then power cycle the router by pulling the power cord - waiting a few minutes and then plugging it in again. That said - client list has never been 100% spot on ;).

...enabled 160MHz using DFS channels again, curiosity taking over...initially my notebook and PC (Wi-Fi card) connected with 1,700 and ~ 2,200 Mbps but after a few minutes the 160MHz went away and 80MHz was selected...I think 160MHz only works using DFS channels, correct?

These setting (160MHz disabled) and using DFS channels (nobody else using DFS channels in my environment so the connection speed is much faster vs. non DFS...)
Is using DFS bad, I read it actually slows things down or is that more theoretical, didn't notice a difference in Ping...

1677523912666.png

I won’t rehash my comments on previous threads. I’m comparing between firmware revisions, so if it works well in one version, but not another, that’s an issue with the firmware.

No one built a new airport, changed DFS, etc in the last year. 160MHz has been broken since last January, so I’ve stuck with that version that works well. I’ll stick to it forever if never works in other versions.
True statement! Correct, 160hz has never been the same since January of 2022 firmware.

...enabled 160MHz using DFS channels again, curiosity taking over...initially my notebook and PC (Wi-Fi card) connected with 1,700 and ~ 2,200 Mbps but after a few minutes the 160MHz went away and 80MHz was selected...I think 160MHz only works using DFS channels, correct?

These setting (160MHz disabled) and using DFS channels (nobody else using DFS channels in my environment so the connection speed is much faster vs. non DFS...)
Is using DFS bad, I read it actually slows things down or is that more theoretical, didn't notice a difference in Ping...

View attachment 48225
The DFS checkbox configures only the control channel, deselecting it limits it to the channels 36-48. This is a 80 MHz range, usually the most busy by other WiFi networks, but also the only 5 GHz range supported by some devices. The other 80 MHz "data channels" are on DFS channels (50-64 if you deselect the checkbox). I do not think that if those channels are detected as used by radars the 160 MHz functionality is automatically disabled in the GUI, I assume that those channels are just not used.

If signals from other WiFi networks are not strong in your location, I suggest enabling 160 MHz and set control channel to Auto non-DFS. This is the configuration that works better in my case.

The DFS checkbox configures only the control channel, deselecting it limits it to the channels 36-48. This is a 80 MHz range, usually the most busy by other WiFi networks, but also the only 5 GHz range supported by some devices. The other 80 MHz "data channels" are on DFS channels (50-64 if you deselect the checkbox). I do not think that if those channels are detected as used by radars the 160 MHz functionality is automatically disabled in the GUI, I assume that those channels are just not used.

If signals from other WiFi networks are not strong in your location, I suggest enabling 160 MHz and set control channel to Auto non-DFS. This is the configuration that works better in my case.
In my case channel 36 was selected in this scenario, and clients connected at low connection speed (TX Rate ~300) ... so I disabled 160MHz and using channel 149 (155) in the upper 5GHz band now, remote 5GHz clients (iPad Pro) twice (Tx Rate: 907) as fast as on channel 36, but that is my neighborhood...

This specific model router works better on upper 149-161 channels where available. On lower 36-48 it's weaker than much cheaper routers.
thanks for confirming, took a lot of trial and error to figure this upper band, now I read it can get in conflict with cordless phones and is prone to interference, oh my, why is Wi-Fi so complicated, LoL

View attachment 48225
what am i missing here, i dont see the DFS option using 2.4 or 5ghz? my wireless mode is auto, 20/40/80 and no 160 selected

Last edited:
Gosh just found at Staples.ca an ax86u for $269 or the ax86s at bestbuy.ca for $199, which one which one?

Gosh just found at Staples.ca an ax86u for $269 or the ax86s at bestbuy.ca for $199, which one which one?
There are places you can get an AX86U Pro for less than that...

Looking at your signature - why? If you want to replace the nodes - AX86S is good enough, but not really needed if you have 2x good working AC86Us.
Am just a tad fearful of my 2018 ac86u mate that's all ;)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!