What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX86 Series(RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.22525

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

But a reboot clears it correct.
Are you in a reboot schedule..

Yes a reboot clears it but then starts going up again in a endless cycle. While rebooting does kick the can down the road it really needs to be fixed by Asus.

So far:
System Status/Status still thinks a 100 MB connection needs to be improved (connected to a 10/100 PoE switch).
AiCloud Sync does not complete after a reboot.
And a couple of cosmetic things that have been in the firmware for a long time but do not matter.
the 100mb problem seems to have been around for at least a couple releases now. it's definitely broke. i first noticed it on a 50' cable run. did a speed test and it was correct; the cable was bad. it could only do about 90mbps and flakey.

replaced the cable with a cat 6 and got over 300mbps. so i'm happy since that's what my isp puts out. problem is the ui still reports that port as a 100mb port. switched ports and the problem follows the cable. so yeah, they need to revisit how they measure throughput but i'm happy that only the metric is false.

u get around - i thought u were strictly merlinware.

Yes a reboot clears it but then starts going up again in a endless cycle. While rebooting does kick the can down the road it really needs to be fixed by Asus.
Agreed
Some on here may not realize that a memory leak can and will slow performance if severe enough.

Hopefully this saves someone some grief. Maybe a simple once a week reboot schedule will be enough to keep the leak at bay. Of course that's dependent on load

Looking forward to your findings going forward. Hopefully Asus addresses the issue .
But if the leak has been persistent over multiple firmware upgrades . It isn't in their top priority.....

I will probably be upgrading both routers this weekend.

I didn't see anything like that, no. I may have looked in the wrong place though. I clicked on status on the main page of the UI and all my active ports are green.
Port are from Aimesh node PORT INFORMATION page on node.

The Ethernet port warning suggests a 10/100Mbps connection... hover your mouse selector over it for the link rate popup.

The logged data rates are always weird... I ignore them.

OE

Yes, they not show connected but have two LAN connected.

Hey all, this question isn't specific to this firmware release, however it is related to AsusWRT as a whole. Is Using WPA2/WPA3 mixed mode stable under 2.4ghz? It seems to be working OK for 5.ghz. I'm asking because I've decided to re-enable WiFi 6 for 2.4ghz to see how it does on the latest firmware, and things seem to be better now, than when I first got the router last year. The only remaining question is about the mixed mode. Currently it's set to WPA2 only for 2.4ghz.

Hey all, this question isn't specific to this firmware release, however it is related to AsusWRT as a whole. Is Using WPA2/WPA3 mixed mode stable under 2.4ghz? It seems to be working OK for 5.ghz. I'm asking because I've decided to re-enable WiFi 6 for 2.4ghz to see how it does on the latest firmware, and things seem to be better now, than when I first got the router last year. The only remaining question is about the mixed mode. Currently it's set to WPA2 only for 2.4ghz.
WPA2/ WPA3-Personal has always worked well for me on both bands. Does not bother the very old G IP cams or the 2.4 GHz printer.

WPA2/ WPA3-Personal has always worked well for me on both bands. Does not bother the very old G IP cams or the 2.4 GHz printer.
I turned it on and it seems to be fine. worst case, I will need to turn it off again. I disabled 11b though. so now 2.4ghz is now g/n/ax. I've seen various articles on disabling 11b support to help improve overall speed and stability. Right now everything seems good.

the 100mb problem seems to have been around for at least a couple releases now. it's definitely broke. i first noticed it on a 50' cable run. did a speed test and it was correct; the cable was bad. it could only do about 90mbps and flakey.

replaced the cable with a cat 6 and got over 300mbps. so i'm happy since that's what my isp puts out. problem is the ui still reports that port as a 100mb port. switched ports and the problem follows the cable. so yeah, they need to revisit how they measure throughput but i'm happy that only the metric is false.

u get around - i thought u were strictly merlinware.
Hard to believe I have been on this forum for almost nine years. I had some health issues over the past two years and went back to Asus firmware just in case someone else had to help the family with the network. Have tested most of the Merlin releases but have gone back to Asus. Because of his efforts and the support of others the Asus firmware now has the features I want and use.

Hard to believe I have been on this forum for almost nine years. I had some health issues over the past two years and went back to Asus firmware just in case someone else had to help the family with the network. Have tested most of the Merlin releases but have gone back to Asus. Because of his efforts and the support of others the Asus firmware now has the features I want and use.
yep, we may be of similar thought here. had lots of problems using fusion/vpn in the previous rel. compared to merlinware's vpn director, the ui was too clunky for my tastes. if they adopt his vpn solution, i could see jumping back.

merlinware's 388.1 was an abomination! the stockware 388 was based on was worse. had to revert back to 386.72 which is a dream.

health issues are no joke especially during this covid era. too many of these gen x caregivers don't seem to give a shirt about people especially those over 65. it ain't the place u wanna be but if it's a must, somebody should be there especially overnight. so hang in there and all the best.

This Asus stock version runs better than ever in AiMesh Node - just hope that the Merlin Maestro gets the GPL for this version on RT-AX86U to build his next Merlinware release. :D.

This Asus stock version runs better than ever in AiMesh Node - just hope that the Merlin Maestro gets the GPL for this version on RT-AX86U to build his next Merlinware release. :D.
Give it a few more days.
I'm still having clients hanging on to the furthest router. Not steering to a router 5 feet away SMH
So I'm not impressed.....

Last edited:
Give it a few more days.
I'm still having clients hanging on to the furthest router. Nit steering to a router 5 feet away SMH

Have you tried rebooting those clients after messing with any router Wireless settings?

OE

Have you tried rebooting those clients after messing with any router Wireless settings?

OE
I have not. Sometimes they will after a router reboot. But it's always sketchy. They are bound to the mesh router 5 feet away. I'm not really interested in trying to reboot clients to link to that mesh. Then the next time the main router gets rebooted they link to it again.that seems to be the norm. Binding them and setting up the roaming service didn't help. In fact tried the roaming block Mac feature. It also didn't help
Very frustrating to say the least. Hate to go back to APmode.......

I have not. Sometimes they will after a router reboot. But it's always sketchy. They are bound to the mesh router 5 feet away. I'm not really interested in trying to reboot clients to link to that mesh. Then the next time the main router gets rebooted they link to it again.that seems to be the norm. Binding them and setting up the roaming service didn't help. In fact tried the roaming block Mac feature. It also didn't help
Very frustrating to say the least. Hate to go back to APmode.......
I experienced these issues with previous releases but behaving much better now. I have had to reboot the odd client once and power cycled the routers, I’ve also set up fixed channels which I hadn’t previously. All good now so far

Give it a few more days.
I'm still having clients hanging on to the furthest router. Nit steering to a router 5 feet away SMH

I know the feeling - been there ... got the T shirt ... but after revising my wifi settings to as near to factory default as appropriate - using fixed channels for both 2.4 and 5 GHz - plus this latest Asus stock release ... and my Mesh is in better shape than it has been on any earlier versions except for Merlinware 386.5_2 ... which remains the most stable, speedy and device friendly firmware on my RT-AX86U's.

This firmware 22525 is serving well here (as did the previous firmware 22068).

OE

Last edited:
Once you decide to upgrade, be sure to install the current firmware and then Hard Reset it to its default settings before you configure the network from scratch.

Reset FAQ
Reset button/webUI Restore/node removal - clears settings in NVRAM; reboot restores fw defaults from CFE (fw defaults)
Hard Reset via WPS button/webUI Restore+Initialize - also clears data logged in /jffs partition (fw defaults+clear data)

OE
Hi,
If I save the config from the admin (I use factory firmware), can I restore everything after this? I have lots of devices, renamed them for easier recognition, + other settings here and there.
Thanks in advance.

Hi,
If I save the config from the admin (I use factory firmware), can I restore everything after this? I have lots of devices, renamed them for easier recognition, + other settings here and there.
Thanks in advance.
Sure, but it is the same as doing an upgrade without resetting. Just upgrade. it will be OK.

All is fine at this point with 22525 here as well. I am down one AiMesh node (68U) until I get one SMA connector replaced on the board, hopefully this week.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!