1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Asus RT-AX88 vs Asus RT-AC86+switch? And if AC86, which Switch? I got an Asus RT-AX88!

Discussion in 'ASUS Wireless' started by Bamsefar, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Senior Member

So I basically do not need the performance of the AX88, but I do need the extra Ethernet ports. Currently I have a AC88, which seems to fail port 5-8 from time to time - I have not found a solution on that.

So either I go AX88, or I go AC86 plus a switch. Any thoughts on what route to choose? And what switch in that case (I don't need more than 6 ports in total currently, but I guess a total of 8 would be nice-to-have)?

Yes I know, I could go switch to my current AC88 - however one thing I do keep track on is electric power usage, so this is where the AC86 comes in :)

2. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

Go for a switch instead, it will provide more flexibility, and more ports.

An inexpensive TP-Link 5 ports or 8 ports would do the job. These are pretty green as well, so power usage will remain low.

joltdude, L&LD and Bamsefar like this.
  3. L&LD

L&LD Part of the Furniture

Bamsefar likes this.
  4. Grisu

Grisu Part of the Furniture

Why dont use your AC88U only as switch for next time (turned off Wifi) to extend 86U (you will need only the 4 good ports on it).
    Maybe in 2 years or little more you would like to get 2,5/5/10G port switch (and router) when they become cheap.

L&LD likes this.
  5. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Senior Member

In my mind that would be to go in the wrong direction regarding electric power usage. I would rather just get a switch to my AC88, it is for sure a lot cheaper.

6. L&LD

How much difference can power usage be? $5 or $10 a year? :)

That would pay for the switch I suggested for the next 3 or 4 years at a minimum. :)

7. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Senior Member

Well in this case the suggestion is to use my AC88 as switch combined with a AC86. That will for sure consume alot more power than AC86+switch, or my current AC88+switch.

I guess that something like Dlink DGS-1005G switch could be powered from one if the USB ports...?

8. L&LD

Even if that is possible, I wouldn't put that kind of load on the router, indefinitely. :)

9. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Senior Member

For some reason someone seems to have read my mind (or this thread) so I got a far to good deal on a AX88 - no I for sure do not need a AX88 - however this was one of the "to good to turn down" offers.

L&LD likes this.