What's new

Asus RT-AX88U Setup Requirements

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

railroader66

Occasional Visitor
Good morning,

In the manual of this router it says the following:
  • To set up your wireless network, you need a computer that meets the following system requirements:
    IEEE802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax wireless capability.
My computer has the following : 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac but not ax
Will this work? This might be a stupid question ,but to me this is rather difficult to understand.
Would appreciate any help.

Last edited:
Yes it will work fine. The router supports all of the standards between the slashes, so as long as you are using one of them (802.11ac is the best standard your computer supports so should be the one they negotiate when you connect) there won't be a problem.

The requirement is just to be able to connect in order to configure, it is not a dependency for the router to support the other standards if and when other devices try to connect later.

Thank you for the explanation . Do you find this router to be a good choice? I now have a RT-AC88U , and since about week I am having the problem that none of our computers seems to be able to find the 5G only the 2,4G, sometimes after about 30 minutes the 5G is appearing on all computers at the same time. I did a format of the software but that did not do any good.

Yes I have the RT-AX88U and it works well, but your RT-AC88U should also perform well. You may well have a configuration problem.

The wireless settings for the 5G network may be causing you a problem. Firstly when you say you did a format of the software I assume you mean you reset to defaults? It's important to reset properly as sometimes some settings (which aren't always visible to the user) can become corrupted and cause issues. You might want to read through this guide from another user https://www.snbforums.com/threads/major-issues-w-rt-ac86u.56342/page-4#post-495710

There can be issues with 5G networks in particular because most channels are required to check for radar interference conflicts and the 5G network will change its own channels in those circumstances. The link above has information on choosing control channels as well.

Thank you so much for your advice , this will help to better understand my router.
Do you know if there is an existing script that says all the basics that you need to configure in a router.
I just simply need to configure to go with 3 computers (Mac) on wifi and 1 printer , most of all the stuff I don't need. I also have a television with Netflix but I'm not sure this is possible on a router . At this moment I use powerlines for Netflix.
Most of the things in the configuration of the Asus is Chinese for me , and I have no idea what they are for.

Greetings from Belgium.

These are not cisco level routers, everything is done via the gui. Just setup wifi, change dhcp if needed and update firmware and go

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!