What's new

ASUS RTAC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Benski

New Around Here
Im Running an ASUS RT-AC86U on Merlin for some years nowThe only other thing I just thaught of is, I have everthing running through a managed switch. So Router WAN is directly conected to NBN modem via dedicated data point in my office, then 1 ethernet from ASUS Router to the switch in my office. Then the switch has Ethernet cables to all datapoints in the house. This set up was working fine untill Firmware update I noticed Firmware was out of date and updated it. Now my WAN LED solid RED after Latest Firmware update

Afer trying every fix on internet for hrs, I decided to install Original ASUS firmware... exact same issue, tried all the fixes. No joy! TPG say there is no connection to their server.... and are investigating.... Im On HFC connection to NBN ( small black box )

Tpg said all the settings on my ASUS were correct in regardrs to their limited knowledge.

All lights are solid on NBN modem and have been the whole time. TPG help desk have run through all settings and checked outages and no issuse there, I have checked and tried new cables no change. I have done more power cycles and factory resets than I can count.

The only other thing I just thaught of is, I have everthing running through a managed switch. So Router WAN is directly conected to NBN modem via dedicated data point in my office, then 1 ethernet from ASUS Router to the switch in my office. Then the switch has Ethernet cables to all datapoints in the house. This set up was working fine untill Firmware update.

I am now using my original TP link modem with no issue... I know there are other threads with this issue but cant seem to find a fix! PLEASE HELP!

What is Ethernet Ports showing in Status?

1666689432497.png

What is Ethernet Ports showing in Status?

View attachment 45028
Hi Tech 9 thanks for your reply, I have to plug every thing back in tonight and have a look but from memory it was same as above. My ISP was saying that the issue was there was no coonection between my router and their server. So I can see where you are coming from. Ill double check again tonight.

So I can see where you are coming from.

I'm coming from AC86U routers with dead WAN port. Upgrading the firmware is just a coincidence. You have to confirm if the WAN port is working. If it isn't, use Dual WAN function and assign a LAN port to act as primary WAN. This way you can continue using the router until replaced with something else. AC86U has lots of hardware and software defects reported over the years. It's the most unreliable Asus router. Better think about replacing it sooner.

I'm coming from AC86U routers with dead WAN port. Upgrading the firmware is just a coincidence. You have to confirm if the WAN port is working. If it isn't, use Dual WAN function and assign a LAN port to act as primary WAN. This way you can continue using the router until replaced with something else. AC86U has lots of hardware and software defects reported over the years. It's the most unreliable Asus router. Better think about replacing it sooner.

Thats dissapointing to hear! When I initially did the research I heatd it was god. That said it was 3 years ago, I believe I also have a " grey ware" unit as it has it dosnt have the ASUS sticker with the SN number on it! So who knows what the internals are lol! Any way, I truly appreceate your help. Ill post my findings tonight and see how we go.

Im Running an ASUS RT-AC86U on Merlin for some years nowThe only other thing I just thaught of is, I have everthing running through a managed switch. So Router WAN is directly conected to NBN modem via dedicated data point in my office, then 1 ethernet from ASUS Router to the switch in my office. Then the switch has Ethernet cables to all datapoints in the house. This set up was working fine untill Firmware update I noticed Firmware was out of date and updated it. Now my WAN LED solid RED after Latest Firmware update

Afer trying every fix on internet for hrs, I decided to install Original ASUS firmware... exact same issue, tried all the fixes. No joy! TPG say there is no connection to their server.... and are investigating.... Im On HFC connection to NBN ( small black box )

Tpg said all the settings on my ASUS were correct in regardrs to their limited knowledge.

All lights are solid on NBN modem and have been the whole time. TPG help desk have run through all settings and checked outages and no issuse there, I have checked and tried new cables no change. I have done more power cycles and factory resets than I can count.

The only other thing I just thaught of is, I have everthing running through a managed switch. So Router WAN is directly conected to NBN modem via dedicated data point in my office, then 1 ethernet from ASUS Router to the switch in my office. Then the switch has Ethernet cables to all datapoints in the house. This set up was working fine untill Firmware update.

I am now using my original TP link modem with no issue... I know there are other threads with this issue but cant seem to find a fix! PLEASE HELP!
Turn off QoS. And test it again.

No connection issue....

FIXED!!! SO SIMPLE!!
ONCE U HAVE SET UP GO TO
LAN
IPTV
SELECT UR ISP UNDER ISP PROFILE OR GO TO MANUAL THEN ENTER UR ISP'S VLAN SETTING!!! BOOM!!!

Well... don't forget to configure your WAN/ISP next time. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!