What's new

Asus updates its EOL list, adds RT-AC1750, AC1900P, AC88U, AC5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I think OpenWrt may be the way forward for me as it seems to offer the potential for more than just a fleeting life for my hardware so I wanted to thank all the contributors to this thread for opening my eyes to it.

IMO legislation is required to force tech companies to start respecting the planet and acknowledging that the Earth's resources are finite.

OpenWRT is not a valid option for Broadcom-based routers.

Legislation/laws have never instilled morals, ethics, or smarts/common sense, and have never had the intended effect.

All they do for sure is increase costs to taxpayers, possibly inflate government coffers which are used as the personal funds of public servants, and always without the required results, so, useless.

OpenWRT is not a valid option for Broadcom-based routers.
Thanks, yes. I like Asus h/w but when I look back realise that since 2012 I have had 7 Asus units (two repeaters and five routers) and only the RT-AX86 Pro I have now is still supported - maybe I'm a poor picker but back then I changed from Netgear to Asus as the NG unit had a security vulnerability that they weren't going to fix and it was barely two years old. The vibe seems to be MediaTek for OpenWRT so I'll sift through the list of supported h/w for an Asus model.

Legislation/laws have never instilled morals, ethics, or smarts/common sense, and have never had the intended effect.

All they do for sure is increase costs to taxpayers, possibly inflate government coffers which are used as the personal funds of public servants, and always without the required results, so, useless.
The EU's stance on USB-C connectors seems to have been effective with Apple - it needs to threaten the bottom line.

Doesn't seem that effective to me. Apple does the bare minimum (only where it needs to) to continue maximizing profits, par for the course.

and only the RT-AX86 Pro I have now is still supported

All similar devices are disposable. In most cases you get few years support and next. Planned obsolescence is a requirement to engineering now. The last products made by engineers and sold at cost were around 90s. Now the cost is first and whatever engineering fits. Welcome to the new World.

If unconvinced on Asus firmware extensions/upgrades, anyone see this new device from Ubiquiti? 1Gig throughput, WiFi 6, and can do Vlans for network isolation. Can add additional access points, switches, or even hardwire or mesh in additional devices as an access points. Aggressive price point too...

anyone see this new device from Ubiquiti?

Coming soon. When it becomes available I may get one to see what it has to offer. Looks interesting indeed.

If unconvinced on Asus firmware extensions/upgrades, anyone see this new device from Ubiquiti? 1Gig throughput, WiFi 6, and can do Vlans for network isolation. Can add additional access points, switches, or even hardwire or mesh in additional devices as an access points. Aggressive price point too...

Waiting for stock to become available again.

WiFi is only 2x2 so not sure what range it will have.. additional units will likely be required..

There are a few YT videos up from some good/trusted review sources.. be interesting to see if they provide further videos detailing range/throughput speeds etc.

IPS/IDS is not included on these units either.

the AC Routers had a good long run used my RT3200 and 5300 for a good 8 or more years most brands don't support routers for more than 2 years some even less . No complaints here . had some netgear and linksys routers lost official support after 6 months

Errrm, is that a moan about the tech, or in general? I can assure you that without legislation/laws (and other sorts of regulations) in my industry, there would be a LOT more dead people. And that I can imagine does apply to quite a lot of industries I interact with more or less closely.

General observation. But applies equally here too.

What industry are you in? None are immune to gov't abuse.

General observation. But applies equally here too.

What industry are you in? None are immune to gov't abuse.
One of the most regulated industries on the planet - aviation. And trust me, you don't want aviation without laws, legislation and heavy regulations. You really, absolutely, categorically don't, even if you haven't flown once in your life. In the same way you don't want to live in the world where healthcare, pharmaceuticals, agriculture, chemical, food, transport, utility or other essentials in general are unregulated, de-regulated, or whatever buzzword is current for the utopian free-for-all libertarian society where the magical market forces sort out everything. They don't.

Yes, some regulations are heavy handed. Some laws need to adapt to present times. Some legislation is perhaps unnecessarily strict. But overall - bloody net positive if you ask me.

I agree with the theory. The practice is what leaves me deflated and tired.

But that doesn't negate anything I've stated either though.

I've flown, but I always said goodbye to everyone I love. I haven't been near those things for a good 3 decades now... the world bores me.

And trust me, you don't want aviation without laws, legislation and heavy regulations.

I trust you. I fly >50K km a year. In some years way more. Keep/follow the regulations as tight as possible, please. 🙏

I trust you. I fly >50K km a year. In some years way more. Keep/follow the regulations as tight as possible, please. 🙏
That's about 10 days worth of "work" :cool:. But you're doing a lot of flying!

Wilco. If I didn't, my colleague would slap me. If he didn't, our safety department would slap both of us. If they didn't, the aviation authority defo would slap the lot of them. And potentially the company.

But that's not why we do it. We do it, because we believe it's a safer thing to do (unless it's not, but that's another story). We also believe in just culture and self reporting because we understand we're humans and humans make mistakes. What's a better way than learn from mistakes of others before they become too serious. Something a LOT of other industries would benefit from. The road to today's standards is paved by a lot of disasters. We don't want the 70's again. Also, it's kinda nice to be back home with family after work.

Flying on a less regulated seaplane between islands in the middle of nowhere is more fun.

1702245638754.png

Safety first some say, I always watch Cast Away and Six Days, Seven Nights before boarding.

Flying on a less regulated seaplane between islands in the middle of nowhere is more fun.

View attachment 54778

Safety first some say, I always watch Cast Away and Six Days, Seven Nights before boarding.
I can only wish. The closest to this was a day at Jack Brown's Seaplane base in Florida. Can't wait to come back. Or retire to Vancouver. Now that would be great.

You don't want to retire there. You're facing End-Of-Funds followed by End-Of-Life. I'm moving South of you at the right moment. I don't know how it works now with Brexit, but what is (was) the common escape place for UK folks? There. I have two big palm trees on the property.

By the way, I've noticed Asus ZenWiFi CT8 also landed on the EoL list. Not sure if it was there before.

Last edited: