What's new

Release ASUS ZenWiFi XT8 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.48706 (2022/05/03)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

After upgrade to 48706 I experienced the same problems as other have reported. Mesh with 2 nodes (ethernet backhaul, WPA2/WPA3) looked OK, but clients could only connect to the main and not to the nodes. Looking at my number of wireless clients, rather than downgrading to 46061, I decided to change the WPA2/WPA3 password on the 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks, followed by a reconfiguration of the clients. That worked for me. I don't know the relevancy and security effects but the old WPA2/WPA3 passwords had a length of 32, for the new ones I changed to a length of 29.
Interesting... My WPA passphrase is about 40 chars long. I had the blinking blue light on the node and had to go back to the old firmware. I ended up installing a Merlin firmware while I wait for a solution.

My XT8s were on 45934 and I decided to install 48706 with a config reset. I have a long PSK for my wifi backhaul as well and also got the flashing blue light. It did connect when I switched my backhaul encryption from WPA3 to WPA2. 48706 has support for control channels >161 so it could be running a different/updated wifi driver.

I started noticing my connections were not stable, and I was getting these errors in the logs. I downgraded to 46061 and all seems stable so far.

Edit: I have my backhaul SSID set to hidden but it is broadcasting under 46061.

Code:
potentially unexpected fatal signal 11.
CPU: 1 PID: 13291 Comm: amas_wlcconnect Tainted: P           O    4.1.52 #2
Hardware name: Generic DT based system
task: d3637000 ti: d0c66000 task.ti: d0c66000
PC is at 0x150350
LR is at 0x1502f4
pc : [<00150350>]    lr : [<001502f4>]    psr: 800f0010
sp : beac70f8  ip : 00000000  fp : beac7ef4
r10: 001d9000  r9 : 00000000  r8 : 0000000a
r7 : 00000142  r6 : beac7220  r5 : 00000000  r4 : 00000000
r3 : 00000003  r2 : ffffffff  r1 : 00000000  r0 : beac7220
Flags: Nzcv  IRQs on  FIQs on  Mode USER_32  ISA ARM  Segment user
Control: 10c5387d  Table: 0f03404a  DAC: 00000015
CPU: 1 PID: 13291 Comm: amas_wlcconnect Tainted: P           O    4.1.52 #2
Hardware name: Generic DT based system
[<c0026fe0>] (unwind_backtrace) from [<c0022c38>] (show_stack+0x10/0x14)
[<c0022c38>] (show_stack) from [<c04c2de4>] (dump_stack+0x8c/0xa0)
[<c04c2de4>] (dump_stack) from [<c003ac6c>] (get_signal+0x490/0x558)
[<c003ac6c>] (get_signal) from [<c00221d0>] (do_signal+0xc8/0x3ac)
[<c00221d0>] (do_signal) from [<c0022658>] (do_work_pending+0x94/0xa4)
[<c0022658>] (do_work_pending) from [<c001f4cc>] (work_pending+0xc/0x20)

Last edited:
I am still on version 42095, thanks to the issues with wireless backhaul where the satellites switch to 2.4Ghz backhaul connection every few days. Does anyone have the same issue with this latest firmware? I haven't updated in a while but feeling adventurous :)

I am still on version 42095, thanks to the issues with wireless backhaul where the satellites switch to 2.4Ghz backhaul connection every few days. Does anyone have the same issue with this latest firmware? I haven't updated in a while but feeling adventurous :)

Nope, this version of firmware has been just about perfect for me. Still have the usual bogus messages in syslog, but functionally perfect. Just don't use a wireless passphrase of 32 characters or longer...If you want to have longer passphrases, then use the Beta version referred to in previous posts above.

I'm not going to change the password on every device in the house, I guess I'll just wait for a release (not beta) firmware which fixes this issue. Still glad the issue has been figured out.

I did a dirty upgrade to this firmware 30 min ago. Upgraded from 46061 via the asus router website.

Config:
1 xt8 node ( wireless backhaul)
1 xt8 router (AP mode)
1 provider main router
Passcode less than 32 characters

Was feeling adventurous as well, so hoping for the best.

Node is still working for now..

well this is depressing, everything seems to be working well with this version (except those who need the 32 character beta fix).. what am I going to endlessly tinker with now?

Quick question and I apologize but this site has the best info and I cannot find an answer elsewhere: I also have an endless blinking blue light on the node. We set up the ASUS Zenwifi XT8 yesterday. The node had a white light when we chose the placement. Soon after, blue light started blinking and has not stopped despite reboots. Before I start doing a brand new install (we got rid of the Orbi 750 series this weekend because of endless issues over the years and I'm about to pull my hair out), I read this whole thread and am confused. I logged into the router and we do NOT have a wifi pre-shared key longer than 10 digits, so the beta release should NOT help me, correct? If so, what is the consensus as to the specific old FW I need to downgrade to? The router is running 3.0.0.4.386_48706-g5f8f479. And, would I have to downgrade on the node too (how is that done - just running an ethernet to it, like we do for the main?) I truly appreciate any help!
Fred

Anyone running ZenWiFi XT8 as stand alone router?

Amazon is selling single units for about USD210 in Canada. I know it's still overpriced for what it is, but was wondering if there are any firmware issues when no AiMesh is involved. Thinking about a friend of mine with very design-sensitive wife. The unit looks good and may pass. :)

Thank you!

Amazon is selling single units for about USD210 in Canada. I know it's still overpriced for what it is, but was wondering if there are any firmware issues when no AiMesh is involved. Thinking about a friend of mine with very design-sensitive wife. The unit looks good and may pass. :)

Thank you!
I have fibre optic internet in the UK via the ISP Hyperoptic. I did use one XT8 as the only router for a day without issues. Haven't tested it in this setup extensively, but cannot see why this wouldn't work for longer. I have 4 x XT8 setup via wireless mesh,

Thank you!

Yes, the XT8 works fine as a single router. Not the strongest signal around, but also not too expensive in quantity one *smile*. And yes, the "wife acceptance factor" is good here, about the only really good router that I've had that can go in our living room *smile*. You can also add more XT8's if you find that you need more, but one works well by itself.

Quick question and I apologize but this site has the best info and I cannot find an answer elsewhere: I also have an endless blinking blue light on the node. We set up the ASUS Zenwifi XT8 yesterday. The node had a white light when we chose the placement. Soon after, blue light started blinking and has not stopped despite reboots. Before I start doing a brand new install (we got rid of the Orbi 750 series this weekend because of endless issues over the years and I'm about to pull my hair out), I read this whole thread and am confused. I logged into the router and we do NOT have a wifi pre-shared key longer than 10 digits, so the beta release should NOT help me, correct? If so, what is the consensus as to the specific old FW I need to downgrade to? The router is running 3.0.0.4.386_48706-g5f8f479. And, would I have to downgrade on the node too (how is that done - just running an ethernet to it, like we do for the main?) I truly appreciate any help!
Fred

Have you tried doing a WPS button factory reset on both the router and node, and using the Asus Router smart phone app to set up the mesh? I've had really good results going that way. Then after the mesh is working, you can use the web admin interface to configure the detailed settings. By the way, this firmware version that you allude to (3.0.0.4.386_48706) has worked faultlessly for me.

Here's a reference on what to look for with the WPS button reset:

And yes, if your wifi passphrase isn't 32 characters or longer, you shouldn't need the Beta release...although it wouldn't hurt to try the Beta as well, since there may be more than just that one fix in it.

Have you tried doing a WPS button factory reset on both the router and node, and using the Asus Router smart phone app to set up the mesh? I've had really good results going that way. Then after the mesh is working, you can use the web admin interface to configure the detailed settings. By the way, this firmware version that you allude to (3.0.0.4.386_48706) has worked faultlessly for me.

Here's a reference on what to look for with the WPS button reset:

And yes, if your wifi passphrase isn't 32 characters or longer, you shouldn't need the Beta release...although it wouldn't hurt to try the Beta as well, since there may be more than just that one fix in it.
Thank you - we will try this after the work day (to avoid a tragic loss of internet all day LOL)

Thank you - we will try this after the work day (to avoid a tragic loss of internet all day LOL)
In my situation with a wired backhaul where I did not want to downgrade, I fixed by using a less than 32 character passphrase for the 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands. 5Ghz, that is the 5Ghz-1 band.

Mind that even though you are yourself not using a 32 character passphrase , the default configuration of a wireless backhaul ís using a 32 character passphrase (for what you presumably see in the Asus user interface as the 5Ghz-2 band).

Perhaps IronLake or RogerSC can clarify to you if they have shortened this 32 character passphrase for the wireless backhaul as well, in order to get a mesh based on 48706 working. Depending on their clarifications if the 32 char limitation also applies to the 5ghz-2 band used for wireless backhauls, your assumption that the beta release would NOT help you is incorrect. Beta release https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...n-version-9-0-0-4-386-48966-2022-05-27.79081/ is expected to fix your problem as is reducing the length of your passphrase for the 5Ghz-2 band for 48706.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!