What's new

Release Asus ZenWiFi XT8 - New Firmware: 3.0.0.4.386_45934

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

can you share your wireless settings cause I have a hard time reaching 300Mbps with this firmware.
Completely default.
Only changed the SSID and password, that's it. I had it highly customized from a post here on the forum, but this time i decided not to change anything and test first.
Multiple tests from different devices, iphone, iPad, Surface...all with better results.

I upgraded and had issues with the HL2170 Brother connecting. I thought the printer bit the dust, but then remembered I upgraded the firmware, I downgraded it and the brother is solid.

I upgraded and had issues with the HL2170 Brother connecting. I thought the printer bit the dust, but then remembered I upgraded the firmware, I downgraded it and the brother is solid.

I have two Brother wifi printers, a laser and an inkjet (about 6 years both),and no problems at all (they only can use 2'4 band). In 2'4 I have disabled most "performance" settings, as I need to be able to use a very old Nintendo DSI, an old phone... Two firms ago, that phone (Moto G3) could't connect to XT8. Now it is ok.

My brother MFC's are also fine. What was not fine was my nest thermostat and govee sensors. I had to put them on the guest network to keep them from dropping once a day. Very odd. I have no idea why it solved the issue.

My brother MFC's are also fine. What was not fine was my nest thermostat and govee sensors. I had to put them on the guest network to keep them from dropping once a day. Very odd. I have no idea why it solved the issue.
There are some things that for whatever reason, can’t handle the mesh system. The only thing in my setup, out or over 20 different devices. Is the Schlage smart lock. I had to create a 3rd guest network. So that it could be on its own 2g band. I didn’t want it mixed with the guest network. Where the guest connect to.

Interesting. I’m intrigued that you putting your Schlage on a guest network made it stable as well. I agree that some things cannot handle a mesh network, although mine is set up so that there are set assigned bands (2.4 or 5), so it is interesting to me that, after the last firmware update for the router, two devices (the nest and Govee) started dropping once a day, but putting them on a guest network together resolved the issue. Prior to the firmware update, this was not necessary. Everything was stable. What kinds of issues were you having with the Schlage?

Interesting. I’m intrigued that you putting your Schlage on a guest network made it stable as well. I agree that some things cannot handle a mesh network, although mine is set up so that there are set assigned bands (2.4 or 5), so it is interesting to me that, after the last firmware update for the router, two devices (the nest and Govee) started dropping once a day, but putting them on a guest network together resolved the issue. Prior to the firmware update, this was not necessary. Everything was stable. What kinds of issues were you having with the Schlage?
The lock was disconnecting, some times daily and some times every few days. And this was happening since 2 firmware updates ago. I don’t remember the one that the routers came with. I probably saved a copy of the original firmware file. But I’ll have to look.
when you say, you have them assigned. Do you mean you separated the 2.4 and the 5G from the main network?

I have two sep networks. One for 2.4. One for 5. I don't have automatic steering enabled, so a device needs to sign into one or the other.

Brad

Hi! New to the Forum and first post.

I start by sharing that I did buy a set of XT8 during summer this year. I had the issue that the wireless backhaul dropped the 5Ghz in favor of the 2.4. I tried different distances between the units, different fw-versions without success. Implemented scheduled reboot every morning but just a few hours later it dropped again. The units were later bought back by the reseller while I learned from reading about the issue that it seems to be a common issue with these and seemingly connected to Asus ability to manage mesh and guest networks at both router/node.

Now I see new fw-versions and as I did really enjoy the speed of the XT8 (with wireless 5Ghz backhaul working) I would like to ask:

Have these issues been resolved with this new fw-version? (With guest network running at both units)

I am not able to run cables for wired backhaul so it is imperative that the wireless backhaul is working as it should at all times if I should consider “rebuying” them.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Hi! New to the Forum and first post.

I start by sharing that I did buy a set of XT8 during summer this year. I had the issue that the wireless backhaul dropped the 5Ghz in favor of the 2.4. I tried different distances between the units, different fw-versions without success. Implemented scheduled reboot every morning but just a few hours later it dropped again. The units were later bought back by the reseller while I learned from reading about the issue that it seems to be a common issue with these and seemingly connected to Asus ability to manage mesh and guest networks at both router/node.

Now I see new fw-versions and as I did really enjoy the speed of the XT8 (with wireless 5Ghz backhaul working) I would like to ask:

Have these issues been resolved with this new fw-version? (With guest network running at both units)

I am not able to run cables for wired backhaul so it is imperative that the wireless backhaul is working as it should at all times if I should consider “rebuying” them.

Thank you in advance.

How far apart do you have the mesh nodes? At my place they're about 40' apart with walls and all, and I get what I think is really good performance with wireless backhaul. Usually see about 650Mbps at the remote node (up to about 700Mbps occasionally) on wifi-6, about 450 - 500Mbps on wifi-5. This is on gigabit internet, of course. I've never experienced fallback to 2.4GHz. band for the backhaul, always uses the 5GHz-2 radio for that. Right now I'm on the 42095 firmware in AP mode for the ZenWiFi, and have a "wired-only" router facing the internet that's has much more up-to-date firmware. But on all the firmware versions that I've tested (pretty much every version after 25790) never had the backhaul fall back to 2.4GHz. band. I could see that happening if your nodes were too far apart, or there was too much furniture, walls, floors, etc. blocking the signal, but if your hardware is fully functional and the nodes are reasonably placed, this shouldn't happen.

Keep in mind that the remote node doesn't have to be right near the wireless "dead zone" that you see with a single router, it can be between the router node and dead zone that needs more coverage. So you might be able to have the nodes closer together than you did and still get the wireless coverage that you need.

Last edited:
Hi!
Thanks for feedback! When I tried the set the two units were approximately 45’ apart with clear line of sight between the two while the main router was half a floor down from the node (due design of house) but clear sight.

Fw42095 and 43181 where the only ones available at the time I returned the units.

I do not intend to run them as APs but as router and node. Also with guest network enabled so I can get IoT and guests off my internal network.

Before re-buying a set I just want to confirm with yourselves that the issues I experienced have now been fixed in newer fw-versions.

Again - thank you very much for any support.

I don't think that anyone can answer this question for you, wireless turns out to be pretty empirical/experimental. In my opinion, you would have to try the ZenWiFi out again at your place, with later firmware, to see if this has been fixed for you. My guess would be "no", given your description of line-of-sight between the nodes, but that would just be a guess. If the problem was that there was something wrong with your hardware, then you have a better chance of having it be fixed. Like I said, I haven't experienced this problem in the first place, but there haven't been noticeable improvements in the wireless itself at my place since 42095.

Just out of curiosity, did you ever try having the nodes closer together to see if you could avoid reverting to 2.4GHz. band for backhaul?

Hi!
Thanks again and of course you are right in that no one can answer as to whether or not the system will work in my house for me.

Reason for my question is that when I returned my system it was clear from other users and reviews that many experienced the same issue as I. I just wanted to see if this was solved by a new firmware or not.

Relating testing distance between router and node I remember trying everything between 5-45’ with the same result.

Thanks for all your help and input

You know, if you tried all those different distances between the nodes of your ZenWiFi and experienced the same problem, that isn't a firmware problem. Especially with the 42095 firmware version. That's either a hardware problem or a configuration problem (settings).

Question 1: why my Xiaomi Mi Note 10 Pro smartphone, in which the AX standard is not implemented, with such settings freely connects to the Wi-Fi AX network?

1638942965012.png

Question 2: why my smartphone, if it is connected to 5 GHz AX, connects only to the node, but not to the main router, even if I am standing with the smartphone a meter away from the main router? If the smartphone is connected to a 5 GHz AC, then it connects to both the router and the node normally. A wired backhaul 1 GHz is used. Smart Connect is not used ...

Everything works fine, but I don't understand this ...

Last edited:
Question 1: why my Xiaomi Mi Note 10 Pro smartphone, in which the AX standard is not implemented, with such settings freely connects to the Wi-Fi AX network?

View attachment 37662

Question 2: why my smartphone, if it is connected to 5 GHz AX, connects only to the node, but not to the main router, even if I am standing with the smartphone a meter away from the main router? If the smartphone is connected to a 5 GHz AC, then it connects to both the router and the node normally. A wired backhaul 1 GHz is used. Smart Connect is not used ...

Everything works fine, but I don't understand this ...
Can you confirm if you are using wired backhaul or are you using the 5GHz-2 as the wireless backhaul?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!