What's new

[Asustor] ADM 2.7 beta now open

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
yay another bad firmware with a broken tun interface and no standard chroot if you want debian on it.. cant wait to break my nas yet again :)

tnx for the link @RMerlin

Last edited:
try getting a openvpn client from any reputable vpn service to connect and you will quickly find out how broken tun is and keeping the kernel updated for the 100x series doesnt seem like a priority for em.

and just for extra lulz try chrooting and installing debian on it then you will quickly find out how utterly broken it is.

That's too bad. I was hoping for quality a bit closer to the ASUS router OS's, but maybe that's an unfounded expectation.

thats what i thought when i bought the asustor but it ended a sad mistake.

better of buying q-nap if you want quality or building your own nas

The unit is in my hands now, so unless it breaks within the warranty period, I'll have to hope for the best. I really only need a solid, fast network drive for centralized backups, and so far, the ADM 2.6 + AS6102T seems fine for that.

Is ASUSTOR typically that sloppy? Maybe I won't try it.

Over time, I'd say one firmware out of two broke something for me. I sure won't be enabling that new automatic firmware update feature once 2.7 goes final. What makes things worse is they don't provide access to older firmwares on their website, so there's no way to downgrade, short of contacting support to ask them for that older firmware.

Speaking of support, I've had good experiences at least that time I needed them.

But considering the price difference with a similar-specced QNAP at the time, I'm still really satisfied with my purchase.

and keeping the kernel updated for the 100x series doesnt seem like a priority for em.

Could be a platform limitation, since this series isn't Intel-based. When dealing with ARM stuff, you're not always easily able to upgrade the kernel. Look at Android phones for instance, they don't upgrade kernels - kernel is dependent on your specific model rather than on the Android version.

The unit is in my hands now, so unless it breaks within the warranty period, I'll have to hope for the best. I really only need a solid, fast network drive for centralized backups, and so far, the ADM 2.6 + AS6102T seems fine for that.

2.6.6 has been running great for me so far.

I have an AS-5004T.

seems that going the support route for updates and fixes might be the way, submitted 3 tickets for kernel, tun, and chroot issues since the kernel is heavily modified and they all seemed to get attention.

so the kernel might get an update to the lastest 3.10 kernel since its already on that kernel it should be to hard.

So i got my first support thread on vpn issues resolved. And im working on kernel update for 100x series to the latest lts 3.10 kernel and a real possibility to use chroot

So i got my first support thread on vpn issues resolved. And im working on kernel update for 100x series to the latest lts 3.10 kernel and a real possibility to use chroot

So are you saying that ASUSTOR is making beta updates to ADM 2.7 to fix your issues?

im saying atleast i got a dialog with asustor and they are looking at the possibility of solving em

When dealing with ARM stuff, you're not always easily able to upgrade the kernel. Look at Android phones for instance, they don't upgrade kernels - kernel is dependent on your specific model rather than on the Android version.

I'm not really seeing any different between ARM and x86/amd64... just gotta know what to do in more recent kernels than 2.6.xx

the android issues are more about the RIL, and vendor stuff there (e.g. Qualcomm's stuff, along with others) and the whole Android SW acceptance/approval cycle, and their concerns on the RIL impact.

But on a base board - it's really no difference once one has a toolchain/buildroot set up - even devicetree isn't that hard.

bootloader/kernel/clib/rootfs - pretty simple when looking at things from 10,000 feet...

I'm not really seeing any different between ARM and x86/amd64... just gotta know what to do in more recent kernels than 2.6.xx

The problem isn't the architecture itself, it's more a hardware issue. ARM (and MIPS) have a lot of proprietary/closed sourc drivers that are only developed/supported under very specific kernel versions.

Kernel locking changes of 2.6.38 or 2.6.39 (forgot which of them) might require some architectural changes for instance. That's why Paragon's free ufsd driver didn't support 3.x for a very, very long time.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!