What's new

AsusWRT Merlin. 2 problems: 1, EZ-IPUpdate disable? 2, OpenVPN updown.sh Permission denied

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tuitionjellyfish

New Around Here
I have 2 problems.

First, I tried to use EZ-IPUpdate with DuckDNS and now it runs, but I get these errors:
Code:
Dec 15 03:26:02 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/ddns-start (args: 192.168.100.10)
Dec 15 03:26:03 ddns: Completed custom ddns update
Dec 15 03:31:56 ddns_update: ez-ipupdate: starting...
Dec 15 03:32:03 ddns_update: unknown service type: duckdns
Dec 15 03:33:06 ddns_update: ez-ipupdate: starting...
Dec 15 03:34:04 ddns_update: could not resolve ip address for tun11.
Dec 15 03:36:05 ddns_update: ez-ipupdate: starting...

Second. I'm trying to run the OpenVPN server on the router, but it stays stuck in the GUI saying:
"Initialinzing the settings of OpenVPN server now, please wait a few minutes to let the server to setup completed before VPN clients establish the connection."

In the log, I see this:

Code:
Dec 15 03:39:47 rc_service: httpds 292:notify_rc restart_chpass;restart_vpnserver1
Dec 15 03:39:48 kernel: tun: Universal TUN/TAP device driver, 1.6
Dec 15 03:39:48 kernel: tun: (C) 1999-2004 Max Krasnyansky <maxk@qualcomm.com>
Dec 15 03:39:48 kernel: device tun21 entered promiscuous mode
Dec 15 03:39:52 openvpn[2324]: Options error: --up script fails with 'updown.sh': Permission denied
Dec 15 03:39:52 openvpn[2324]: Options error: Please correct this error.
Dec 15 03:39:52 openvpn[2324]: Use --help for more information.
Dec 15 03:39:52 syslog: VPN_LOG_ERROR: 1539: Starting VPN instance failed...

I tried to change the permissions of /usr/sbin/updown.sh
But chmod:
Code:
/usr/sbin/updown.sh: Read-only file system

I was thinking maybe chmod 711 would do the trick. But I couldn't change it.

tl;dr:
1 - Can someone please guide me on how to stop ez-ipupdate from running anymore?
2 - Can someone help me fix openvpn server, as I get: "Options error: --up script fails with 'updown.sh': Permission denied"

Thank you in advance. I'm frustrated -_-

Extra info:
AsusWRT-Merlin
RT-AC66U
v380.69

The file permissions in the firmware are correct. Make sure you're not preventing script execution by disabling them in your Custom section.

"Make sure you're not preventing script execution by disabling them in your Custom section."

Under Administration -> System -> Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs
It's set to Yes.

I'm sorry, where and how can I check this? Thank you for your help. I am not totally clueless about this stuff, but a lot of it is new too.

Last edited:
"Make sure you're not preventing script execution by disabling them in your Custom section."

Under Administration -> System -> Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs
It's set to Yes.

I'm sorry, where and how can I check this? Thank you for your help. I am not totally clueless about this stuff, but a lot of it is new too.

I mean the "Custom settings" section on your OpenVPN configuration page. Make sure you don't change the script security level in that section.