What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.246.20 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks for this release, it has fixed my problem with the radio schedule overriding the WPS toggle.

One minor issue though - the wifi icon stays fully-green and the mouse hover indicates that both 2.4g and 5g radios are active when the radio schedule has turned both off (if I manually turn one or both off via the gui it displays correctly as intended).

It's possible that the schedule will disable the radios without notifying the firmware itself that it's doing so. I will have to look more closely at the differences between manually disabling a radio and having a schedule disabling it.

It's possible that the schedule will disable the radios without notifying the firmware itself that it's doing so. I will have to look more closely at the differences between manually disabling a radio and having a schedule disabling it.
That sounds possible I guess - it would be great if you get get that to work properly with the radio schedule, but it's not a showstopper though if you cannot sort it.

Last edited:
That sounds possible I guess - it would be great if you get get that to work properly with the radio schedule, but it's not a showstopper though if you cannot sort it.

I just pushed a fix to Github's code repo. The schedule doesn't toggle the nvram values (probably to avoid conflicts between schedules and manually disabled radios). The webui will now actually poll for the radio states rather than rely on the nvram content.

Scheduled LEDs control can be achieved through scripting, as described here in this tracker entry (I still need to clean up the instructions and put them on the Wiki).

Bandwith monitoring should already be pretty much the same as in Tomato (I even already added the monthly page that was missing in Asus's firmware). Go to Traffic Manager -> Traffic Mionitor. Then use the dropdown menu to select daily/monthly traffic reports.

Unless you are thinking about something else or from a Tomato fork?
OK I need help. I am new to scripting and I wish to schedule the LEDs to go off at a certain time in the evening and then come back on in the morning. I found the script:

services-start:

#!/bin/sh
cru a lightsoff 0 18 * * * "/jffs/scripts/ledsoff.sh"
cru a lightson 0 6 * * * "/jffs/scripts/ledson.sh"

ledsoff.sh:

#!/bin/sh
nvram set led_disable=1
nvram commit
service restart_leds

ledson.sh:

#!/bin/sh
nvram set led_disable=0
nvram commit
service restart_leds

Now I get that I have to enter the shebangs in /jffs/scripts but I don't know how. If someone could help me with this, or point me in the right direction for instructions on how to script, I would be grateful. Sorry for being a dumass noobie. Thanks.

I just pushed a fix to Github's code repo. The schedule doesn't toggle the nvram values (probably to avoid conflicts between schedules and manually disabled radios). The webui will now actually poll for the radio states rather than rely on the nvram content.
Thanks. :)

Anyone with an RT-N16 who could test something for me? Please send me a PM. I need to see if LED control would work properly on the RT-N16.

OK I need help. I am new to scripting and I wish to schedule the LEDs to go off at a certain time in the evening and then come back on in the morning. I found the script:

services-start:

#!/bin/sh

ledsoff.sh:

#!/bin/sh
nvram set led_disable=1
nvram commit
service restart_leds

ledson.sh:

#!/bin/sh
nvram set led_disable=0
nvram commit
service restart_leds

Now I get that I have to enter the shebangs in /jffs/scripts but I don't know how. If someone could help me with this, or point me in the right direction for instructions on how to script, I would be grateful. Sorry for being a dumass noobie. Thanks.

I was also looking into this. Here's a reference that helped me, but I'm experienced with shell scripts:

https://github.com/ryzhovau/asuswrt-ryzhov

And I'm not sure what your question about the "hash-pling" (British) thing is *smile*...you can put a "pound-bang" line in as the first line of a script, and that tells your shell what binary to invoke to run your script, and what its path is. In this case, Bourne shell (/bin/sh) is specified to run these scripts. Note that scripts have to be executable before they are run, the shell command:

chmod a+x <script>

will do this for you.

The way that I read what you've got above is that you put the first three lines:

#!/bin/sh

into a script named /jffs/scripts/services-start.

Then you create the ledsoff.sh and ledson.sh scripts that are referenced in the "services-start" file that contains the lines that are listed above below the script names. Again, the first line of each script is the "pound-bang" line, giving the path and name of the binary used to run the script itself.

And don't forget to make them all executable.

Does this help?

Last edited:
same here, radio scheduler doesnt work...

What doesn't work: the radio scheduler, or the wifi status icon when a radio schedule just turned them off?

I can confirm that the radio scheduler itself works, since I used it last night while debugging the wifi icon status.

See this Wiki entry first (you will have to enable JFFS to be able to use scripts).

Scripts can be created in many different ways:

1) With the built-in "vi" editor over telnet
2) If you have Optware enabled, install the nano editor (ipkg install nano), which is far more easy to use than vi
3) Create the files on your computer, put them on a USB disk, plug the disk to your router, then copy them over telnet into the /jffs/scripts/ directory

Make sure the scripts don't have an extra .txt extension to their filename (Windows editors can be stupid in regard to that).

See this Wiki entry first (you will have to enable JFFS to be able to use scripts).

Scripts can be created in many different ways:

1) With the built-in "vi" editor over telnet
2) If you have Optware enabled, install the nano editor (ipkg install nano), which is far more easy to use than vi
3) Create the files on your computer, put them on a USB disk, plug the disk to your router, then copy them over telnet into the /jffs/scripts/ directory

Make sure the scripts don't have an extra .txt extension to their filename (Windows editors can be stupid in regard to that).

Thanks very much for the wiki article reference, very useful.

I also just moved the Issue tracker info to a Wiki page.

Thank you merlin.

Coming straight from .18, no problems so far.

I really like the following bugfix:
- FIXED: No longer reboot the router three times during boot time if one
of the radios is disabled by the user. (RT-N66U)

does this also apply for guest networks?

sweet! Thank you!

Last edited:
Thank you merlin.

Coming straight from .18, no problems so far.

I really like the following bugfix:
- FIXED: No longer reboot the router three times during boot time if one
of the radios is disabled by the user. (RT-N66U)

does this also apply for guest networks?

sweet! Thank you!

This isn't related to changing your settings, this was related to any time you boot your router, it had to reboot itself three times if there was one or both radios disabled in your configuration.

Indeed, you have to hold it for at least one second, then release it, and wait - it might take 1-2 additional seconds before the radio turns themselves off.

I tried it with no luck. Radio is off and doesn't turn on with the WPS button. Bad FW flashing probably?

EDIT: tried factory reset without restoring saved settings. Radio toggle works like following: LEDs are swithed off, but radio actually doesn't (as per the wireless system log).
Then I flashed ASUS .260 and everything works fine.

Last edited:
There appears to be a bug with the wireless MAC filters in 3.0.0.4.246.20. Try adding several MAC filters with computer names to a 2.4GHz network. In two instances, between router resets, I experienced a glitch whereby the router refused to accept/display new wireless MAC filter entries.

I did not experience this issue in 3.0.0.4.246.19b (though I did not use computer names in 19b).

Are you referring to the filters not working, or simply being unable to enter a name?

The name issue is known and already fixed for the next release - it's a compatibility issue with Firefox. Try with Chrome or IE.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a message every hour in the syslog which I had in the Asus .260 fw to.
Nov 17 01:59:57 notify_rc : restart_diskmon
Nov 17 01:59:57 disk monitor: be idle
Nov 17 02:59:57 notify_rc : restart_diskmon
Nov 17 02:59:57 disk monitor: be idle
Nov 17 03:59:57 notify_rc : restart_diskmon
Nov 17 03:59:57 disk monitor: be idle
Nov 17 04:59:57 notify_rc : restart_diskmon
Nov 17 04:59:57 disk monitor: be idle
Nov 17 05:59:57 notify_rc : restart_diskmon
Nov 17 05:59:57 disk monitor: be idle
Nov 17 06:59:57 notify_rc : restart_diskmon
Nov 17 06:59:57 disk monitor: be idle
Nov 17 07:59:57 notify_rc : restart_diskmon
Nov 17 07:59:57 disk monitor: be idle
Nov 17 08:59:57 notify_rc : restart_diskmon
Nov 17 08:59:57 disk monitor: be idle
Nov 17 09:59:57 notify_rc : restart_diskmon
Nov 17 09:59:57 disk monitor: be idle
Is this something that can be fixed ?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!