What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.246.20 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You learn something new every day
Never heard of the "shebang" being called "hash-pling" or "pound-bang" but wikipedia has!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shebang_(Unix)

I guess shebang is the British form, # is the "hash" symbol "lb" or "£" is pound!, and "!" is referred to as 'bang' in school mathematics meaning factorial.

By the way you can often get away without this line in scripts, since shell script is often a default - incorrect, wrong architecture binaries often return obscure script errors. You definitely need it it you want to invoke a specific interpreter bash, dash or perl etc on linux PC so very good practise to always include.

I tried it with no luck. Radio is off and doesn't turn on with the WPS button. Bad FW flashing probably?

EDIT: tried factory reset without restoring saved settings. Radio toggle works like following: LEDs are swithed off, but radio actually doesn't (as per the wireless system log).
Then I flashed ASUS .260 and everything works fine.

Just tested, and it works fine here. Wireless radio was completely turned off when I used the WPS button. I'm afraid I can't reproduce your issue.

Asus's implementation (at least in 246, no idea about 260) is broken, as a radio schedule would override the WPS button.

I have a message every hour in the syslog which I had in the Asus .260 fw to.
Nov 17 01:59:57 notify_rc : restart_diskmon
Nov 17 01:59:57 disk monitor: be idle
Nov 17 02:59:57 notify_rc : restart_diskmon
Nov 17 02:59:57 disk monitor: be idle
Nov 17 03:59:57 notify_rc : restart_diskmon
Nov 17 03:59:57 disk monitor: be idle
Nov 17 04:59:57 notify_rc : restart_diskmon
Nov 17 04:59:57 disk monitor: be idle
Nov 17 05:59:57 notify_rc : restart_diskmon
Nov 17 05:59:57 disk monitor: be idle
Nov 17 06:59:57 notify_rc : restart_diskmon
Nov 17 06:59:57 disk monitor: be idle
Nov 17 07:59:57 notify_rc : restart_diskmon
Nov 17 07:59:57 disk monitor: be idle
Nov 17 08:59:57 notify_rc : restart_diskmon
Nov 17 08:59:57 disk monitor: be idle
Nov 17 09:59:57 notify_rc : restart_diskmon
Nov 17 09:59:57 disk monitor: be idle
Is this something that can be fixed ?

Working as intended. That's a new service Asus is developing, and they decided to make it restart every hour for some reason. Since they haven't finished fully implementing this feature yet I'd rather not touch it.

In any case these log entries are totally harmless and can be ignored.

Working as intended. That's a new service Asus is developing, and they decided to make it restart every hour for some reason. Since they haven't finished fully implementing this feature yet I'd rather not touch it.

In any case these log entries are totally harmless and can be ignored.

Thank you for the information. Would have been nice if Asus could write
something about such new things in their changelog for the f/w. When I see new messages in the syslog which were not in previous versions of the f/w I want to know what is happening. I had the same messages in Asus f/w .260.

You learn something new every day
Never heard of the "shebang" being called "hash-pling" or "pound-bang" but wikipedia has!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shebang_(Unix)

I guess shebang is the British form, # is the "hash" symbol "lb" or "£" is pound!, and "!" is referred to as 'bang' in school mathematics meaning factorial.

By the way you can often get away without this line in scripts, since shell script is often a default - incorrect, wrong architecture binaries often return obscure script errors. You definitely need it it you want to invoke a specific interpreter bash, dash or perl etc on linux PC so very good practise to always include.

I thought that the default shell for scripts that you run is the shell that you're currently using. For example, if you're using the bash shell interactively, and run a script without the "pound-bang", the current shell would fork and exec the script, and the script would then be running under the bash (current) shell.

Doesn't have a lot to do with routers, though, mostly Linux/UNIX *smile*.

Thank you for the information. Would have been nice if Asus could write
something about such new things in their changelog for the f/w. When I see new messages in the syslog which were not in previous versions of the f/w I want to know what is happening. I had the same messages in Asus f/w .260.

They didn't because that's still a work-in-progress. You can see where they seem to be headed with this by accessing this test page:

http://www.asusnetwork.net/diskmon_test.asp

I wouldn't touch any of these settings for now however, not knowing how they work and what side-effect they might introduce (if they work at all).

Last edited:
They didn't because that's still a work-in-progress. You can see where they seem to be headed with this by accessing this test page:

http://www.asusnetwork.net/diskmon_test.asp

I wouldn't touch any of these settings for now however, not knowing how they work and what side-effect they might introduce (if they work at all).

Ok , thanks for the detailed info - I tried the test page and would not bother to try to set any of the settings. Strange that Jeremy at Asus did not know aboit these messages - I asked him and he would get back to me but you gave me a quick answer , still waiting for Jeremy... Once again - thank you RMerlin !

best firmware ever...

Hi,

My 50 ct:

.246.20 is the best firmware I've installed so far. With previous versions IE went into offline mode from time to time but not with that release. Thumbs up!!!

is port forwarding and upnp broke on this build or is it just my router?
thanks

I almost forgot to say that during the initial setup ('Quick Internet Setup') of this build a window popped-up saying there was a newer version of the firmware and asking if I wanted to upgrade. I hit 'Cancel' and proceeded with the setup. I don't know if this is the firmware update checker that was removed from the 3.0.0.4.220.17 build.

- lfbb

Last edited:
I almost forgot to say that during the initial setup ('Quick Internet Setup') of this build a window popped-up saying there was a newer version of the firmware and asking if I wanted to upgrade. I hit 'Cancel' and proceeded with the setup. I don't know if this is the firmware update checker that was removed from the 3.0.0.4.220.17 build.

- lfbb

No, what I removed was on the System page where you could click on a button to check for any newer release. I'll take a look about QIS, didn't know it checked during QIS now.

Ok , thanks for the detailed info - I tried the test page and would not bother to try to set any of the settings. Strange that Jeremy at Asus did not know aboit these messages - I asked him and he would get back to me but you gave me a quick answer , still waiting for Jeremy... Once again - thank you RMerlin !

Jeremy probably has to ask the devs back in Taiwan for such things since he's not involved with development itself. Having my hands right into the source code makes me notice such things :)

No, what I removed was on the System page where you could click on a button to check for any newer release. I'll take a look about QIS, didn't know it checked during QIS now.
ASUS RT-N66U B1 Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.246

Modify
1. Add GRO option in Advanced settings->LAN->Switch control.
Please disable it if there are problems in UPnP and port forwarding.
2. Add firmware version checking in Quick Internet Setup process.
3. Add PIN code error alerting for USB modem
4. WPS button can be configured as wifi on/off button

hi, i just flashed my router to this just now and noticed that my temps are at 54c, is that to hot or normal operating temp? i have the router setting in the open with no obstructions with room temp of 75F. sorry i am from USA and hate metric!!! merlin, please put option of using fahrenheit insteasd of celcius!! ;) other than that router runs great with this firmware

sorry i am from USA and hate metric!!! merlin, please put option of using fahrenheit insteasd of celcius!!

At the bottom of the temp page is a drop down button labeled Temperature unit.

you can change the monitor to read degrees F there.

Thanks for these upgrades im about to try your FW cause the ones from ASUS are killing me with wireless stability.

hi, i just flashed my router to this just now and noticed that my temps are at 54c, is that to hot or normal operating temp? i have the router setting in the open with no obstructions with room temp of 75F. sorry i am from USA and hate metric!!! merlin, please put option of using fahrenheit insteasd of celcius!! ;) other than that router runs great with this firmware

54C is fine. Mine hovers near 60C at this time of the year.

I have these temperatures :
Uptime 4 days 3 hours 23 minutes 36 seconds
Radios temperature 2.4 GHz 52°C - 5 GHz 59°C

notify_rc : restart_rstats;restart_conntrack;restart_leds

Is it a bug that you have to hit the apply button whenever you notice two leds still lit up?

put the laptop in standby mode and went out for a while came back home and two leds were still lit... hit the apply button and now it works.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!