What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.246.20 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

notify_rc : restart_rstats;restart_conntrack;restart_leds

Is it a bug that you have to hit the apply button whenever you notice two leds still lit up?

put the laptop in standby mode and went out for a while came back home and two leds were still lit... hit the apply button and now it works.

Are you talking about LEDs on your laptop or on the router?

If you're talking about LEDs on the router and you have Stealth Mode enabled, then there's a known issue that occurs if you change any setting that causes the router to restart the wireless service or you use a radio schedule, the wireless LEDs will turn themselves back on. That issue has already been fixed for the next release.

Hi Merlin...

In regards to this release for the RT-N66U, you mentioned...

"For those wondering, the RT-N66U release still uses the same wireless driver as 220.xx and 246.19b, as this has proved to be the most stable for the majority of users. I will re-evaluate the situation once Asus releases a new firmware based on a newer driver version"

Does this mean YOUR version has these wireless drivers? Meaning you put in these drivers vs the ones that Asus has in it?

I ask for it reads "the RT-N66U release" vs "my RT-N66U release".

I know their was talk of radio issues which kept me from upgrading from your 3.0.0.4.220.18b which has been totally solid. As the time of this post...

Uptime 35 days 18 hours 55 minutes 17 seconds

Thank you.

Hi Merlin...

In regards to this release for the RT-N66U, you mentioned...

"For those wondering, the RT-N66U release still uses the same wireless driver as 220.xx and 246.19b, as this has proved to be the most stable for the majority of users. I will re-evaluate the situation once Asus releases a new firmware based on a newer driver version"

Does this mean YOUR version has these wireless drivers? Meaning you put in these drivers vs the ones that Asus has in it?

I ask for it reads "the RT-N66U release" vs "my RT-N66U release".

I know their was talk of radio issues which kept me from upgrading from your 3.0.0.4.220.18b which has been totally solid. As the time of this post...

Uptime 35 days 18 hours 55 minutes 17 seconds

Thank you.

Yes, I was referring to Asuswrt-Merlin at the time. I said "RT-N66U" release to distinguish it from the RT-AC66U release, which is based on a completely different wireless driver.

3.0.0.4.246.20 uses the exact same wireless driver as 3.0.0.4.220.18b.

Thank you. I will install it now and see what happens. (Not that I really needed any of the items mind you, as if you may recall, I run in AP mode.)

Then again...Seeing I have been stable for 35 days on 220.18b, maybe I should not tempt fate until their is a feature I would want to use.) :)

Hi,

I have the following issue with this version:
After running for 3 hours with the download manager active, the n66u will disconnect the USB disk and repeat the following in the log:

- rejecting I/O to dead device

Rebooting both USB HD and RT-N66U solves the problem (the web interface of the router becomes sluggish / hangs if only the HD is rebooted).

Any idea?

Thanks !

Hi,

After running for 3 hours with the download manager active, the n66u will disconnect the USB disk and repeat the following in the log:

Rebooting both USB HD and RT-N66U solves the problem (the web interface of the router becomes sluggish / hangs if only the HD is rebooted).

Any idea?

Thanks !
I'd say either your disk or the enclosure is going bad..

The disk is brand new :-( and it happens only when the download manager is active downloading.

I will do some more testing and also test with a 2nd HD......

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

If your hard disk uses the USB connector to provide power to it, it might be borderline regarding the amount of current it gets. It's best to have a USB disk with a separate AC adapter. I've had plenty of bad experiences myself with customers using those USB disks drawing power from the USB port.

Hi,

Any idea?

Thanks !

Just a hunch, check memory usage and see if it degrades.

Thanks Merlin,

The HD (WD myBook) has its own power supply.
Had the setup running all night with the download manager on standby and had no issue this morning.
Next I ran the DM with 2 downloads in parallel for 2 hours and it was also ok.

Looks like an issue which comes up when multiple DM downloads are active at the same time.

---------------------
Update:

Activated 4 downloads at the same time and after 3 hours the HD was ejected and the web interface of the router not longer reachable on the second connect (first time it could be reached. After that the browser simply timed out). Unfortunately, due to that, I could not see whether the Router ran out of mem.

However switching from 2-4 downloads had no immediate effect on the free router mem directly after the additional 2 downloads were enabled.

Had to unplug power to reset the router.

-----------------------------------
Update 2:

The same issue happens when I copy a large quantity of files from the HD share over the network.
Same error message after a while: kernel: scsi 0:0:0:0: rejecting I/O to dead device

Guess I will have to test with a different HD :-( Maybe the n66U has issues with this particular WD disk type?
Has anyone tried the WD HD with their n66u before (WD My Book 1140)?

Last edited:
^^ I am using a WD hard disk with my N66U but with a transcend storejet enclosure. Another Sandisk USB flash drive is also connected to the 2nd usb port and I have no issues in having a lot of downloads and file transfers going on simultaneously.
Edit: But do note that I don't use Asus DM. I use entware apps for all my tasks.

Thanks.
Could it be the size of the HD (3TB) and the fact that it uses NTFS? I will change it to ext3 now and see if this makes a difference......

Update:
I changed the HDD format to ext3 and it looks like it works fine now.
The previous issue of the HD disconnecting and the router web interface freezing when copying large amounts of data from and to the USB HD is gone. :)

Update 2:
Still the same issue :-( does not happen as quickly as before any more when I used NTFS but still comes up when I copy larger files or have downloads running :-(
Next step: change HDD

Last edited:
Been running this over the last two days and loving it so far. Just wondering if there a way to change client status name? Most of my devices names are incorect. I know we are able to do on LAN>DHCP server.

Been running this over the last two days and loving it so far. Just wondering if there a way to change client status name? Most of my devices names are incorect. I know we are able to do on LAN>DHCP server.

The Name field on the DHCP page is only to help you identify your device - it does not set a hostname.

The hostname is usually configured inside the client devices themselves. One exception are mobile devices such as phones and tablets which won't let you chose a hostname.

In the past I refused to display the description name on the Status Page as I felt it could be misleading since that name is just a description, not an actual hostname. I might end up eventually adding it to the Network Map somehow since there is an increasing amount of mobile devices with useless names such as android-123456 by default.

Yeah it would be great if you could add that. Some time the correct name will appear on client status. Most time the name show up as the MAC address. Examples my server and Panny Plasma show up as a MAC address as their name. When I go add something like port forward or wake on LAN and I click on drop down menu there names of the client would be there. Btw any chance there will be a page for a link speed and connection strength %?

Yeah it would be great if you could add that. Some time the correct name will appear on client status. Most time the name show up as the MAC address. Examples my server and Panny Plasma show up as a MAC address as their name. When I go add something like port forward or wake on LAN and I click on drop down menu there names of the client would be there. Btw any chance there will be a page for a link speed and connection strength %?

The router will be able to resolve the client's name once its DHCP lease expires and gets renewed (which usually means within 24 hours).

Link speed info are already added on the Wireless Log page.

Link speed info are already added on the Wireless Log page.

Thanks! Wow, this asus router is a beast. The best speed on my zenbook when connect to my dlink 655 was 89 Mbps. I always blame the notebook for the poor speed, now its hitting 150Mbps. Also, notice transfer rate between the notebook to my server has double in speed. Thanks again for all your help RMerlin! :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!