What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.270.24 BETA 4 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah, lan transfer speed on beta 3 are great... I get about 15megabytes a sec to my 3tb external hdd.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks. Please see the attached file. Just to make sure, are we talking about the hi-lighted field ? Was there any adverse effect to this situation ? If I disable it, same question, is there an adverse effect (just to better understand).

It's either that option, or the one about Samba/Network Neighborhood on the first PPTP page - I forgot which was which since Asus renamed them.

The only side effect of disabling this will be applications that rely on broadcasts won't work over the PPTP tunnel. For example, you won't be able to browse for the list of computers on the LAN network, but will still be able to access them through their URN (i.e. \\192.168.1.100\SomeShare).

Broadcast support over PPTP isn't too reliable IMHO. People who really need it should rather look at OpenVPN for a more solid VPN implementation.

For those wondering, the MAC address on the WAN side will be your ISP's router. Since the modem is (usually) in bridged mode, the router does not see its MAC.

That is exactly the case with my set-up, even though the "modem" is actually an Actiontec Gigabit Coax/Ethernet Router, with its wifi radio and DHCP disabled. So I see the Actiontec on my WAN port, and the primary PC on one LAN port and the secondary (behind-the-switch) Lan port. And I think you are right about the display being the last client speaking, as I accessed the slingbox to check, and it appeared, and I then logged out, and now the secondary PC is appearing again.

I found a Bug on beta 3

Hello merlin,

In USB application when I try to upgrade Download Master to the latest version, software gives error "No response from the remote server." and does not upgrade software, installed official asus firmware and the upgrade accours without problems.

Log only displays:

Feb 5 17:18:21 notify_rc : start_apps_upgrade downloadmaster

Please help with some feedback.

Thanks

Hello merlin,

In USB application when I try to upgrade Download Master to the latest version, software gives error "No response from the remote server." and does not upgrade software, installed official asus firmware and the upgrade accours without problems.

Log only displays:

Feb 5 17:18:21 notify_rc : start_apps_upgrade downloadmaster

Please help with some feedback.

Thanks

I got another report of this. I'll take a look in the next days, but keep in mind it could possibly be an issue on Asus's side (a few weeks ago, Download Master stopped working for everyone as a server on Asus's end was down for a few days).

I also need to make sure it's not a regression caused by the new wget.

Merlin,

As so many have said, your work is much appreciated. Beta 3 is running well for me... it did appear originally to stomp on my dyndns configuration (wouldn't update), but after another reboot it worked great.

Are there any plans to be able to update the "friendly" host name in the Network map? I have many devices, some of which you cannot update the host name without root (Android)... and would love to be able to attach a friendly name to the Mac Address.

Again, thanks so much for your efforts!

I'm currently uploading 3.0.0.4.270.24-Beta3 to Mediafire. [...]

I will need folks to confirm that there is no new regression over the previous betas, so I can make this the final release of this long series of betas.

Just have run some tests with the new beta build, and it seems to be a great one. Until now, everything is working fine, I didn't find any issue so far.

Fine piece of work again, Eric - thank you vmi!

Ciao
Gerald

Are there any plans to be able to update the "friendly" host name in the Network map? I have many devices, some of which you cannot update the host name without root (Android)... and would love to be able to attach a friendly name to the Mac Address.

Again, thanks so much for your efforts!

The Network Map will now use any name that you entered on the DHCP reservation page.

... support over PPTP isn't too reliable IMHO. People who really need it should rather look at OpenVPN for a more solid VPN implementation.

I just disabled PPTP and will setup OpenVPN.

Thanks,

GH

The Network Map will now use any name that you entered on the DHCP reservation page.

Noticed that names with spaces do not display completely in the Network Map:

In DHCP reservation I name it: "Ipad Chris"
In the Network Map it is displayed as "Ipad"

Have IPv6 enabled and working, and I see that radvd is running, as I would expect. For Beta 2 and before, it used to restart occasionally, I saw the restarts in the log. In fact, it used to restart every hour. Now it is just running, no restarts.

Was this a deliberate change? Did this change come from Asus or from Merlin? I'm fine with it, seems more efficient use of resources anyways, although an hourly restart isn't a big impact item *smile*.

Just wondering about this.

Thanks.

Have IPv6 enabled and working, and I see that radvd is running, as I would expect. For Beta 2 and before, it used to restart occasionally, I saw the restarts in the log. In fact, it used to restart every hour. Now it is just running, no restarts.

Was this a deliberate change? Did this change come from Asus or from Merlin? I'm fine with it, seems more efficient use of resources anyways, although an hourly restart isn't a big impact item *smile*.

No deliberate change on my end, and I don't recall seeing any change from Asus either unless I missed it. Could be simply they decoupled the radvd service from another one that required the hourly restart perhaps.

Hi RMerlin;

I had problems with beta2 and went back to stock firmware 270. But this beta3 is stable and has no problems so far.

One small thing is that Download Master upgrade does not work (it comes back with a "no response from server" message. DM upgrade works in stock firmware though). I just replaced DM with transmission following your excellent guide. Now everything looks good here.

I also tried TomatoUSB but Asuswrt-Merlin is much better in my opinion.

Thanks for the great work you are doing.

Noticed that names with spaces do not display completely in the Network Map:

In DHCP reservation I name it: "Ipad Chris"
In the Network Map it is displayed as "Ipad"

Probably because the firmware enforces the same limitation as on a regular hostname - hostnames cannot contain any white space.

I'll see if I can track down where it's filtering this out and see if it's possible to override it or not.

Hi RMerlin;

I had problems with beta2 and went back to stock firmware 270. But this beta3 is stable and has no problems so far.

One small thing is that Download Master upgrade does not work (it comes back with a "no response from server" message. DM upgrade works in stock firmware though). I just replaced DM with transmission following your excellent guide. Now everything looks good here.

I also tried TomatoUSB but Asuswrt-Merlin is much better in my opinion.

Thanks for the great work you are doing.

I heard a few reports about DM being unable to upgrade. I need to check if it's a regression, or an issue with Asus's servers (it happened a few weeks ago, it was impossible to update or install Download Master for a few days).

No deliberate change on my end, and I don't recall seeing any change from Asus either unless I missed it. Could be simply they decoupled the radvd service from another one that required the hourly restart perhaps.

It used to restart at the same time as "diskmon"...so that could be it.

Beta 3 feedback

I can confirm the issue with the download master unable to upgrade with the server not responding error message.

Also looks like I now have this error in my logs:
Feb 5 14:41:56 cstats[594]: Problem loading /mnt/NAS_60GB/asusfolder/tomato_cstats_c86000d2ddc0.gz. Still trying...

so looks like my stats might be hosed, if i look at them from traffic manager all seem to work except the per device stats history. Not a big thing if I have to recreate the stats log just something I would mention.

Other than that seems to be fairly stable. Wanted to upgrade as I ran into an out of memory issue with the current GA build which caused my SMB shares to stop working. Figured I would try an upgrade and see if that helped.

Hi
I have ab Bug ...?

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 431
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!