What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.270.24 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Was Master Browser enabled when you had the problem?

Yes, under Network Place "Share Enabled" is default on even if there is no disk or stick connected, and under "Miscellaneous settings" Force as MasterBrowser is Default a "Yes"

Both i have disabled, and my problem of reaching my Synology Shares are solved.

Regards,

Arjen :)

Yes, under Network Place "Share Enabled" is default on even if there is no disk or stick connected, and under "Miscellaneous settings" Force as MasterBrowser is Default a "Yes"

Regards,

Weird. The default is set to 0 in the code:

Code:
        { "smbd_master", "0"},

But looks like the issue occurs when the router is set as master browser, which confirms what I suspect - it's a network browsing issue. Unfortunately I'm still unable to reproduce the issue here, I just tested using my Ubuntu HTPC to mimic a Linux-based NAS.

I'll try to reproduce the issue by not having any disk plugged or configured, in case it's related to the cause of the problem.

Did you install the download master or something else on the router?

Take a look at this:
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=8773

I did not experience the problem, but i am only using the firmware since 3-4 days. I am not using the download master, only openvpn.

Nope--Download Master is not installed.

I actually have nothing connected to the USB. So I'm not sure why DLNA or Samba was enabled by default. I disabled DLNA the last time I rebooted the router when I lost DNS. It's been 3 days, and I haven't gotten the dreaded message in my logs yet, and haven't had to reboot yet.

Regards,

Same with me--I have nothing connected to my router's USB port, yet Samba is enabled, and the MasterBrowser defaulted to Yes.

Weird. The default is set to 0 in the code:

Code:
        { "smbd_master", "0"},

But looks like the issue occurs when the router is set as master browser, which confirms what I suspect - it's a network browsing issue. Unfortunately I'm still unable to reproduce the issue here, I just tested using my Ubuntu HTPC to mimic a Linux-based NAS.

I'll try to reproduce the issue by not having any disk plugged or configured, in case it's related to the cause of the problem.

Thanks anyway for your effort and improvements to this firmware.
When there are issieus in the future i'll let you know.

Regards,

Arjen.

Thanks anyway for your effort and improvements to this firmware.
When there are issieus in the future i'll let you know.

Regards,

Arjen.

I just read something about a version 3.0.0.4.270.25.

When will this one available for download.

Regards,

Arjen

I just read something about a version 3.0.0.4.270.25.

When will this one available for download.

Regards,

Arjen

When I feel it's ready. This build is still being worked on, and I have no timetable yet for its release, so it could be a few days, or it could be a few weeks.

When I feel it's ready. This build is still being worked on, and I have no timetable yet for its release, so it could be a few days, or it could be a few weeks.
Don't sweat it Merlin. I am having no issues with 3.0.0.4.270.24dw. I am planning on activating my 4G modem this week and implement to try the dual WAN feature. So far stability is good although my Cisco-Linksys AC bridge sometimes loses its connection but if I manually reboot it then it reconnects just fine.

Just a preview of what's il store for build 25 (that list will change over time as more fixes/changes are applied):

Code:
   - NEW: NFS folder sharing. Webui can be found on the USB Applications ->
          Servers Center page (NFS Exports tab)
   - NEW: dhcpc-event and zcip-event scripts (called on WAN events)
   - NEW: Ccustom configs: group.add, gshadow.add, passwd.add, shadow.add, exports.add
   - NEW: New script that will setup Entware for you (written by ryzhov_al).
          Run "entware-setup.sh" through SSH/Telnet to launch the install process.
   - CHANGED: Added a folder picker to the Tools Other Settings page to select
              a location to store your traffic data files.
   - CHANGED: Updated dnsmasq to 2.65 (backported from 3.0.0.4.334)
   - CHANGED: Enabled additional optimizations in openssl for another significant
              performance increase.
   - FIXED: Added missing badblocks program
   - FIXED: Timing issues under IE where resolved device names would
            not display on certain pages (such as the Sysinfo page)
   - FIXED: VPN client "common name" wasn't getting saved
   - FIXED: DHCP client will be less aggressive in attempting to obtain
            a lease (wait 2 mins instead of 20 secs between attempts),
            should help with ISPs like Charter who will blacklist you
            if you send too many Discovery packets in a short period of time.
   - FIXED: Made profile.add be run after any Optware profile, so the user
            changes will have priority over anything else.
   - FIXED: WOL list corruption when removing an entry in some browsers
   - FIXED: No longer forward packets with a LAN IP as destination
            (Asus bug, fixed CDRouter test firewall_2)

Just a preview of what's il store for build 25 (that list will change over time as more fixes/changes are applied):

Code:
   - NEW: NFS folder sharing. Webui can be found on the USB Applications ->
          Servers Center page (NFS Exports tab)
   - NEW: dhcpc-event and zcip-event scripts (called on WAN events)
   - NEW: Ccustom configs: group.add, gshadow.add, passwd.add, shadow.add, exports.add
   - NEW: New script that will setup Entware for you (written by ryzhov_al).
          Run "entware-setup.sh" through SSH/Telnet to launch the install process.
   - CHANGED: Added a folder picker to the Tools Other Settings page to select
              a location to store your traffic data files.
   - CHANGED: Updated dnsmasq to 2.65 (backported from 3.0.0.4.334)
   - CHANGED: Enabled additional optimizations in openssl for another significant
              performance increase.
   - FIXED: Added missing badblocks program
   - FIXED: Timing issues under IE where resolved device names would
            not display on certain pages (such as the Sysinfo page)
   - FIXED: VPN client "common name" wasn't getting saved
   - FIXED: DHCP client will be less aggressive in attempting to obtain
            a lease (wait 2 mins instead of 20 secs between attempts),
            should help with ISPs like Charter who will blacklist you
            if you send too many Discovery packets in a short period of time.
   - FIXED: Made profile.add be run after any Optware profile, so the user
            changes will have priority over anything else.
   - FIXED: WOL list corruption when removing an entry in some browsers
   - FIXED: No longer forward packets with a LAN IP as destination
            (Asus bug, fixed CDRouter test firewall_2)

Hello Merlin,

This may be preliminary, but I am curious where the dhcpc-event and zcip-event scripts will land in the script order? The reason I am asking is I am still having timing issues with my openvpn selective routing script in WAN-START such that I often have to reboot my RT-AC66U several times to get it to work properly. I am wondering if it would be better to put the code in an earlier or later starting script.

Thanks!

Hello Merlin,

This may be preliminary, but I am curious where the dhcpc-event and zcip-event scripts will land in the script order? The reason I am asking is I am still having timing issues with my openvpn selective routing script in WAN-START such that I often have to reboot my RT-AC66U several times to get it to work properly. I am wondering if it would be better to put the code in an earlier or later starting script.

Thanks!

Whenever there is a DHCP event on the WAN side. For example, when your obtain a lease from your ISP.

For your issue, have you tried just putting a "sleep 10" command before your routing commands? The script is run asynchronously, so that might resolve your issue. This is how I deal with Entware needing more time before being able to start services with unslung.

Last edited:
tried several times.. earlier setting for 2,4 Ghz was 20/40 with best results.
Now i have to put the setting om 40 to get the best result.
b/g protection off.

juist to let you know.. it looks it is introduced with version 24.
some network cards develop lots of pings in league of legends (game) with setting 20/40
reverting to 40 seem to solve the problem.

Last edited:
Whenever there is a DHCP event on the WAN side. For example, when your obtain a lease from your ISP.

For your issue, have you tried just putting a "sleep 10" command before your routing commands? The script is run asynchronously, so that might resolve your issue. This is how I deal with Entware needing more time before being able to start services with unslung.

Hello,

I tried putting a sleep between 5 and 30 seconds at the top of the script. I didn't seem to find any difference. I can tell when the script isn't working because all my devices route through the VPN. When it works, the devices I route through my ISP still show up as my ISP in Canada and my Nexus 10 show up as being through the US VPN (and by extension, my PS3). It stays working until it reboots.

I wonder if there is a way to develop a GUI interface in conjunction with static DHCP to route specific devices/ports through either client 1, client 2 or WAN.

I will keep researching. I still can't get client 1 and client 2 working at the same time.

Thanks for all your effort RMerlin!

I've never upgraded. What will happen to my existing settings? If I back them up can they be restored on the new firmware? I will be coming from the previous merlin release.

I've never upgraded. What will happen to my existing settings? If I back them up can they be restored on the new firmware? I will be coming from the previous merlin release.

Unless your current FW is very old and goes back to a 32 KB version, all your settings are being preserved when upgrading, and they are upward (and backward too) compatible.

I don't know if I'm the only one with this problem, but in the parental controls, when I enter a letter of the MAC address in lowercase, it does not work.

is this normal?

thank's

Unless your current FW is very old and goes back to a 32 KB version, all your settings are being preserved when upgrading, and they are upward (and backward too) compatible.
I have run into a possible issue with 3.0.0.4.270.24. If the router is powered down it sometimes won't reconnect to the Internet when powered back up. You have to click on the WAN icon in the Network Map tab, click the connect button over to disconnect and then back to connect and it will then connect without issue. This happens a lot, maybe always.

I have run into a possible issue with 3.0.0.4.270.24. If the router is powered down it sometimes won't reconnect to the Internet when powered back up. You have to click on the WAN icon in the Network Map tab, click the connect button over to disconnect and then back to connect and it will then connect without issue. This happens a lot, maybe always.

I recently switched from DSL to cable. I have a Thomson DCM476 cable modem. I had a similar problem when I first plugged it in. The internet wouldn't reconnect. I am not saying this will work, but I hit the factory reset button on the back of the router. That seemed to fix my problem.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!