What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.270.26 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The only thing I have notice is i see the error message:

Jan 2 00:21:23 cstats[589]: Problem loading /mnt/NAS_60GB/asusfolder/tomato_cstats_c86000d2ddc0.gz. Still trying..

The file is there and i have tried deleting it and restarting a new one via the tools page

You need two files! In your case:

tomato_cstats_c86000d2ddc0.gz

AND

tomato_rstats_c86000d2ddc0.gz

Otherwise you will see no "per divice" data.

I had the same problem here.

Greez Wolle

Hi
Just wanted to report mishappening i've had since i upgraded my RT-AC66U router till firmware 3.0.0.4.270.26
Last week ive lost WAN cnnection twice which have never happened before. I called telia to see if they had issuies but no. THey measured a clr and fine signal to our modem so i suspect thr router.
I down graded the firmware to .24 which I exp. very stable.
Just as info if someone else exp the same.
Best of luck

Diveblaster

Hi

Quite a new poster, but generally lurk. Have been using the firmware for a while and like above poster have been noticing dropouts as well (but using RT-N66U router).

Hello,

270.26b version changed something in the way WAN DHCP worked. I can't have the 4 days lease time I had before. (now is 5 days and some hours)

Diveblaster: I down graded the firmware to .24 which I exp. very stable.

Also diveblaster, since disk space is so cheap these days, why not avoid unnecessary abbreviations that make things kind of hard to read? Especially when you use the same abbreviation in two sentences close together, where that same abbreviation means two different things.

And it is helpful when your posts give us some idea of the pluses and minuses of different releases, thanks for that.

Hello,

270.26b version changed something in the way WAN DHCP worked. I can't have the 4 days lease time I had before. (now is 5 days and some hours)

Lease duration is entirely determined by the ISP. They might have changed it on their end.

Diveblaster: I down graded the firmware to .24 which I exp. very stable.

Also diveblaster, since disk space is so cheap these days, why not avoid unnecessary abbreviations that make things kind of hard to read? Especially when you use the same abbreviation in two sentences close together, where that same abbreviation means two different things.

And it is helpful when your posts give us some idea of the pluses and minuses of different releases, thanks for that.

Your finding .24 to be more stable than 3.0.0.4.270.26b ?

Hi, with this version under network my nas and popcorn hour are no more listed automatically.

Hi, with this version under network my nas and popcorn hour are no more listed automatically.

Nothing was changed regarding network discovery. I merely added additional code that gets run AFTER network discovery, where names are applied on top of existing entries when applicable.

Strange thing is:

With 25.b firmware if in "RT-N66U's Domain Name" i leave empty field all network was correctly discovered

With .26 firmware i inserted WORKGROUP in that field, and after all networks was correctly discovered BUT popcorn hour stopped to work with the nas, it see the nas but when i try to open a share it say that the share no longer exist

Rebooted the nas and now works again

Strange thing is:

With 25.b firmware if in "RT-N66U's Domain Name" i leave empty field all network was correctly discovered

With .26 firmware i inserted WORKGROUP in that field, and after all networks was correctly discovered BUT popcorn hour stopped to work with the nas, it see the nas but when i try to open a share it say that the share no longer exist

Rebooted the nas and now works again

Make sure everything is under the same workgroup. Windows is less picky about this since Vista as it will still do a full discovery, but some devices might still have problems with mismatched workgroups.

Jumping into 270.26b late in the game, I just found that my wireless download speed on 2.4GHz is very poor: far less than 500 Kbps using Speedtest for the Internet. The speed for 5GHz connection is over 20 Mbps. Previously, my experience with 266.23b was similar speeds for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz. Were there big changes in the radio drivers or settings between these firmware versions?

Sorry I haven't kept up in the forum if this is answered elsewhere. I know you're moving on to a newer version.

Jumping into 270.26b late in the game, I just found that my wireless download speed on 2.4GHz is very poor: far less than 500 Kbps using Speedtest for the Internet. The speed for 5GHz connection is over 20 Mbps. Previously, my experience with 266.23b was similar speeds for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz. Were there big changes in the radio drivers or settings between these firmware versions?

Sorry I haven't kept up in the forum if this is answered elsewhere. I know you're moving on to a newer version.

I have 35Mbps down (internet connection is 50 down)/8 Mbps up (connection is 8 up) with this firmware via 2.4Ghz on Speedtest.net. I don't have any devices that work on 5Ghz.

Last edited:

You could try hitting the factory reset button and setting everything back up again. I found that I had a massive slow down once when I upgraded the flash and factory resetting did the trick.

You could try hitting the factory reset button and setting everything back up again. I found that I had a massive slow down once when I upgraded the flash and factory resetting did the trick.

Also, try toggling the Interference Management option on the Professional page. Some people get better results with it enabled or disabled, depending on their environment.

I have 35Mbps down (internet connection is 50 down)/8 Mbps up (connection is 8 up) with this firmware via 2.4Ghz on Speedtest.net. I don't have any devices that work on 5Ghz.

You can get better speeds with a cleaner channel. I get 58/35Mbps with an advertised 50/25Mbps tier.

Also, try toggling the Interference Management option on the Professional page. Some people get better results with it enabled or disabled, depending on their environment.

It was disabled, so I enabled it. Speedtest on my android phone using 2.4GHz immediately improved to over 20Mbps ( from only low Kbps range). Thanks for that tip. Strange, though, since it must have been disabled in the earlier firmware when I was getting high speed.

Using RT-N66U with .26b Merlin build for about one month. Works great! Thank you Merlin! I would like to report the following three issues:

1. Time mismatch.
The system time of the router (according to the syslog page of the Web GUI) and the timestaps from syslog file, have one hour difference.

2. Strange OpenVPN error messages
In the syslog a following strange messages appear:
Apr 15 08:48:11 openvpn[552]: Pendgy-office/77.70.X.X:443 Authenticate/Decrypt packet error: bad packet ID (may be a replay): [ #116620 ] -- see the man page entry for --no-replay and --replay-window for more info or silence this warning with --mute-replay-warnings
Apr 15 08:57:02 openvpn[552]: Pendgy-office/77.70.X.X:443 Authenticate/Decrypt packet error: bad packet ID (may be a replay): [ #122052 ] -- see the man page entry for --no-replay and --replay-window for more info or silence this warning with --mute-replay-warnings
Apr 15 09:01:01 openvpn[552]: Pendgy-office/77.70.X.X:443 Authenticate/Decrypt packet error: bad packet ID (may be a replay): [ #125640 ] -- see the man page entry for --no-replay and --replay-window for more info or silence this warning with --mute-replay-warnings
Apr 15 09:01:02 openvpn[552]: Pendgy-office/77.70.X.X:443 Authenticate/Decrypt packet error: bad packet ID (may be a replay): [ #125746 ] -- see the man page entry for --no-replay and --replay-window for more info or silence this warning with --mute-replay-warnings
Apr 15 09:01:39 openvpn[552]: Pendgy-office/77.70.X.X:443 Authenticate/Decrypt packet error: bad packet ID (may be a replay): [ #127923 ] -- see the man page entry for --no-replay and --replay-window for more info or silence this warning with --mute-replay-warnings
Apr 15 09:02:02 openvpn[552]: Pendgy-office/77.70.X.X:443 Authenticate/Decrypt packet error: bad packet ID (may be a replay): [ #128968 ] -- see the man page entry for --no-replay and --replay-window for more info or silence this warning with --mute-replay-warnings
Apr 15 09:07:04 openvpn[552]: Pendgy-office/77.70.X.X:443 Authenticate/Decrypt packet error: bad packet ID (may be a replay): [ #134761 ] -- see the man page entry for --no-replay and --replay-window for more info or silence this warning with --mute-replay-warnings
Apr 15 09:12:37 openvpn[552]: Pendgy-office/77.70.X.X:443 Authenticate/Decrypt packet error: bad packet ID (may be a replay): [ #138194 ] -- see the man page entry for --no-replay and --replay-window for more info or silence this warning with --mute-replay-warnings
The OpenVPN server configured on router is working normally. The configuration is TAP and is the same as the configuration from my old WRT54GL with Tomato VPN. Nothing has changed in this configuration which have worked perfectly for about 2 years. Nothing has changed in clients configuration also.

3. Web GUI is very slow when accessed through OVPN server.
For remote administration of the router I am using a TAP tunnel to enter the internal home network. The Web GUI is very slow. The other web pages I access through OVPN TAP tunnel (internal NAS Web GUI and any external web pages) are loading normally. The other services through OVPN TAP tunnel are working much faster if compared with my old WRT54GL, but the connection to the router itself Web GUI only is very slow. The connection between client and router's WAN interface is about 50Mbps, so there is no reason for such slow loading of Web GUI.

Last edited:
Using RT-N66U with .26b Merlin build for about one month. Works great! Thank you Merlin! I would like to report the following three issues:

1. Time mismatch.
The system time of the router (according to the syslog page of the Web GUI) and the timestaps from syslog file, have one hour difference.

Old known issue. Could possibly be related to the old uClib version used by the firmware. I have been unable to track this down, the known workaround is to enable manual DST settings.

2. Strange OpenVPN error messages
In the syslog a following strange messages appear:

The OpenVPN server configured on router is working normally. The configuration is TAP and is the same as the configuration from my old WRT54GL with Tomato VPN. Nothing has changed in this configuration which have worked perfectly for about 2 years. Nothing has changed in clients configuration also.

No idea, first time I hear about that message. Most likely something specific to OpenVPN and not the firmware itself.

3. Web GUI is very slow when accessed through OVPN server.
For remote administration of the router I am using a TAP tunnel to enter the internal home network. The Web GUI is very slow. The other web pages I access through OVPN TAP tunnel (internal NAS Web GUI and any external web pages) are loading normally. The other services through OVPN TAP tunnel are working much faster if compared with my old WRT54GL, but the connection to the router itself Web GUI only is very slow. The connection between client and router's WAN interface is about 50Mbps, so there is no reason for such slow loading of Web GUI.

The router's CPU is already taxed by running OpenVPN. It's probably also affecting the services running on the router such as httpd - even worse if you use TAP (which means the router's CPU has to process a lot of traffic) and https (SSL encryption/decryption also requires a good amount of CPU power). This is a normal hardware limitation of the router's CPU.

netware5
Look at the new manual to openvpn 2.3 there is some things changed.

--no-replay
(Advanced) Disable OpenVPN's protection against replay attacks.
Don't use this option unless you are prepared to make a tradeoff of
greater efficiency in exchange for less security.

--replay-window
Use a replay protection sliding-window of size n and a time window
of t seconds.
By default n is 64 (the IPSec default) and t is 15 seconds.
This option is only relevant in UDP mode, i.e. when either --proto
udp
is specifed, or no --proto option is specified.

--mute-replay-warnings
Silence the output of replay warnings, which are a common false
alarm on WiFi networks. This option preserves the security of the
replay protection code without the verbosity associated with warn‐
ings about duplicate packets.

https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/wiki/Openvpn23ManPage

Old known issue. Could possibly be related to the old uClib version used by the firmware. I have been unable to track this down, the known workaround is to enable manual DST settings.

I am sorry if I didn't understood, but I had an impression that the "old known time issue" is that the router does not change to correct time during the night of DST changing. I had no such experience. My problem is that the router shows two different times - the first as "system time", and the second as "syslog stamping time". I can not see here any connection with DST. Please, correct me if am wrong.

The router's CPU is already taxed by running OpenVPN. It's probably also affecting the services running on the router such as httpd - even worse if you use TAP (which means the router's CPU has to process a lot of traffic) and https (SSL encryption/decryption also requires a good amount of CPU power). This is a normal hardware limitation of the router's CPU.

Merlin,

I have a lot of experience with the same OVPN configuration ran on WRT54GL with Tomato VPN. The WRT54GL is much more weaker as CPU power than the RT-N66U. But I had not any similar observations on WRT54GL. Even your OVPN implementation is based on Keith Moyer's Tomato VPN, so it is unlikely that your OVPN implementation is "guilty". Most probably this issue comes from the original Asus FW. Even without OVPN the Web GUI seems to be slower than Tomato, but with VPN the difference becomes too visible.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!