What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.270.26 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I am sorry if I didn't understood, but I had an impression that the "old known time issue" is that the router does not change to correct time during the night of DST changing. I had no such experience. My problem is that the router shows two different times - the first as "system time", and the second as "syslog stamping time". I can not see here any connection with DST. Please, correct me if am wrong.

The one hour difference is related to the DST handling. I've experienced the one hour difference as well in one occasion myself, around the time when the DST switch happened, but have been unable to reproduce it again since then. Unsure if it's because part of the firmware uses outdated DST tables while other parts use more up-to-date tables, or just because the timezone gets changed at some point during the boot process, and syslog is unaware of the change until it gets restarted. Not being able to reproduce the issue again makes it hard for me to track it down unfortunately, but there is already an issue on the Github tracker about this.

I have a lot of experience with the same OVPN configuration ran on WRT54GL with Tomato VPN. The WRT54GL is much more weaker as CPU power than the RT-N66U. But I had not any similar observations on WRT54GL. Even your OVPN implementation is based on Keith Moyer's Tomato VPN, so it is unlikely that your OVPN implementation is "guilty". Most probably this issue comes from the original Asus FW. Even without OVPN the Web GUI seems to be slower than Tomato, but with VPN the difference becomes too visible.

Asuswrt's GUI is a bit more resource-intensive than Tomato's, as it has more images, and more complex scripts involved, so it will generate a bit more traffic, which can become more apparent over OpenVPN. I regularly access mine over OpenVPN here, and while I do see a slowdown versus local usage, it's still responsive (I have seen some routers who felt slower even remotely).

Web GUI freezes

RT-N66U with Merlin's 26b FW

I would like to report an issue similar to described in THIS MY POST.

I decided to change the OpenVPN server port. After making the necessary changes using Web GUI I've pushed the "Apply" GUI button. After a while the GUI says "Complete" and got frozen, but the internet connection remained OK, i.e. the router remain in working condition except frozen GUI. After hard reboot (by pushing router's power button) the OpenVPN server loaded with the new configuration and everything is working fine. I've tried this several times and Web GUI always got frozen. It looks like a bug in the Web GUI implementation.

RT-N66U with Merlin's 26b FW

I would like to report an issue similar to described in THIS MY POST.

I decided to change the OpenVPN server port. After making the necessary changes using Web GUI I've pushed the "Apply" GUI button. After a while the GUI says "Complete" and got frozen, but the internet connection remained OK, i.e. the router remain in working condition except frozen GUI. After hard reboot (by pushing router's power button) the OpenVPN server loaded with the new configuration and everything is working fine. I've tried this several times and Web GUI always got frozen. It looks like a bug in the Web GUI implementation.

I just tried it and I had no problem changing back and forth between two ports. The server was restarted with the new configuration, and the webui was still responding normally This might be a browser-specific issue.

I just tried it and I had no problem changing back and forth between two ports. The server was restarted with the new configuration, and the webui was still responding normally This might be a browser-specific issue.
Thank you Merlin for your fast response! My browser is Mozilla 20.0.1 under Windows XP. Tomorrow I will try with Mozilla under Linux and with Chrome under Windows XP. Now I'm going to bed - it is 2:40am here :D Good night!

Can someone upload the latest NON-beta file please. Nothing is loading up on the Mediafire page (blank).
Hi,

For me the download from Mediafire works fine! Here the link to the latest non-beta version.

With kind regards
Joe

Android Clients Disconnect from WiFi

I know many or most have moved on to the latest firmware, but I've been bouncing between 3.0.0.4.266.23b, which I've found very stable, and 3.0.0.4.270.26 which spontaneously kicks my Android phones and tablets off WiFi. With 270.26, the phones will switch by themselves between the 2.4GHz and 5GHz connections, or they will give authentication errors. This happens on my RT-N66R and another one I just set up for someone else. Does anyone know of any differences between 270.26 and 266.23b that would cause this?

I don't want to jump further in versions until I can understand what's happening or have some confidence that this problem has gone away, since it might not be as easy to flash to 372.30 then revert back to 266.23b if I still the problem in the latest firmware.

I know many or most have moved on to the latest firmware, but I've been bouncing between 3.0.0.4.266.23b, which I've found very stable, and 3.0.0.4.270.26 which spontaneously kicks my Android phones and tablets off WiFi. With 270.26, the phones will switch by themselves between the 2.4GHz and 5GHz connections, or they will give authentication errors. This happens on my RT-N66R and another one I just set up for someone else. Does anyone know of any differences between 270.26 and 266.23b that would cause this?

I don't want to jump further in versions until I can understand what's happening or have some confidence that this problem has gone away, since it might not be as easy to flash to 372.30 then revert back to 266.23b if I still the problem in the latest firmware.

Delete both profiles from your phones and just connect to one band. Give each band a separate SSID and different password. That way there is no way a device can switch bands.

Delete both profiles from your phones and just connect to one band. Give each band a separate SSID and different password. That way there is no way a device can switch bands.

Good advice, I agree. But both the 2.4 & 5 radios do have different SSIDs already on my router. "Forgetting" the 5GHz connection results in an eventual spontaneous disconnect from the 2.4GHz connection and a temporary authentication error when I try to reconnect. Still wondering why the problem isn't on the earlier firmware version but is on subsequent version.

Restoring the factory default settings is recommended when coming from 270 to 354/372 - did you do that?

Restoring the factory default settings is recommended when coming from 270 to 354/372 - did you do that?

No, I haven't moved above 270 yet because I got the Android disconnect issue in 270 so went back to 266. My concern is whether the problem might carry forward into 372 (and the more complicated upgrade/revert process with factory defaults involved if I find Android still disconnects and I need to go back to 266).

I have read your recommendation to reset factory default settings when coming from 270 to 354, but (except for coming from earlier than 4.220) that recommendation was missing in the 372.30-3 readme. I see you made it explicit in the 372.31 readme -- thanks for clarifying.

So, do you think a factory reset moving up to 270 might solve the Android disconnect problem (that doesn't exist in 266)?

Last edited:
No, I haven't moved above 270 yet because I got the Android disconnect issue in 270 so went back to 266. My concern is whether the problem might carry forward into 372 (and the more complicated upgrade/revert process with factory defaults involved if I find Android still disconnects and I need to go back to 266).

I have read your recommendation to reset factory default settings when coming from 270 to 354, but (except for coming from earlier than 4.220) that recommendation was missing in the 372.30-3 readme. I see you made it explicit in the 372.31 readme -- thanks for clarifying.

So, do you think a factory reset moving up to 270 solve the Android disconnect problem (that doesn't exist in 266)?

I don't have any disconnect issue with my Xoom, Nexus 7 or Nexus 4 here. Xoom is somewhere around 4.1 (been a while since I used it), N7 and N4 are both on 4.2.2.

Can you elaborate on your concern about resetting to factory default? Resetting to factory default and reconfiguring a router from scratch should take less then 10 minutes. What is your concern?

Can you elaborate on your concern about resetting to factory default? Resetting to factory default and reconfiguring a router from scratch should take less then 10 minutes. What is your concern?

Assuming a fresh start in reconfiguring, in my case it involves setting many static LAN IP addresses, port forwards, MAC filters, and VPN settings. I would say much more than 10 minutes.

So, do you think a factory reset moving up to 270 might solve the Android disconnect problem (that doesn't exist in 266)?

Anything past 270 on my N66U has all of my Android devices randomly disconnect too. 2 Galaxy Nexus' running CM 10.1.2, Nexus 10 and brand new Nexus 7 (2013) on stock. The WiFi stays connected but the indicator turns gray and there is no data. Toggling WiFi, airplane mode, or rebooting fixes it.

I skipped the past few versions but decided to try 372 a few weeks ago and I've been dealing with the disconnects ever since. I did a reset and my settings aren't much beyond defaults. The wife's been complaining about it and I just noticed tonight that the new Nexus 7 is doing it too.

I searched before but couldn't find any solution which worked. That's why I came here tonight but I think I'm just going to flash back to 270 tomorrow. It's not worth the hassle of toggling settings on the devices and missing messages in between. This doesn't happen at our respective workplaces so I'd rather just have it working fine at home too.

Anything past 270 on my N66U has all of my Android devices randomly disconnect too. 2 Galaxy Nexus' running CM 10.1.2, Nexus 10 and brand new Nexus 7 (2013) on stock. The WiFi stays connected but the indicator turns gray and there is no data. Toggling WiFi, airplane mode, or rebooting fixes it.

I skipped the past few versions but decided to try 372 a few weeks ago and I've been dealing with the disconnects ever since. I did a reset and my settings aren't much beyond defaults. The wife's been complaining about it and I just noticed tonight that the new Nexus 7 is doing it too.

I searched before but couldn't find any solution which worked. That's why I came here tonight but I think I'm just going to flash back to 270 tomorrow. It's not worth the hassle of toggling settings on the devices and missing messages in between. This doesn't happen at our respective workplaces so I'd rather just have it working fine at home too.

The random WiFi disconnects of my two Samsung Galaxy III phones started at 270 and I had to back off to 266. I plan to still try 372, but it sounds like your experience didn't move past the problem. Will let you know.

Maybe this issue warrants a separate thread for Android Device WiFi Disconnects rather than being buried under this obsolete topic. And perhaps it's not fair to associate just with Merlin's firmware -- it's just that I stopped using the Asus stock firmware from the get-go.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!