What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.372.31 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thanks for your reply merlin. i have use toastman's firmware for the N66 in the past and i know speeds took a pretty good hit with it compared to stock. does that mean your speeds for the N66 should be comparable to stock on the N66 as well? i don't think his was able to take advantage of H/W acceleration since the wireless driver was closed source...

Tomato does not support HW acceleration. Beside being a closed-source module that only Broadcom has the sources for, many Tomato features would cause HW acceleration to get disabled anyway, making it pretty pointless.

I will try this release when I get home. I'm still on 270.26b, I understand that the nvram has to be cleared when going from 270 to 372 but can I restore my settings from a saved .cfg or it is recommended to change everything manually again.

I will try this release when I get home. I'm still on 270.26b, I understand that the nvram has to be cleared when going from 270 to 372 but can I restore my settings from a saved .cfg or it is recommended to change everything manually again.

No, otherwise you would totally nullify the action of having erased your nvram. You have to reconfigure it.

@RMerlin

I have a bug in the Wireless setings i set to channel 13 the System set it 11:mad:

I have the same problem.
My router was on channel 1 before the FW update. After the update, the router switched to 11 and stays there no matter what channel I select. The green wifi status icon always shows channel 11 and inssider on a client machine confirms that too. Btw., while trying to switch the channels I once saw it jump to channel 6 (while I asked for some other channel), later it was back to 11 -- maybe it's stuck in the auto mode?
(This is the RT-N66U. Channel switching on 5GHz works fine.)

I have an N66U with the 31_0 build and I can confirm that I can switch 2.4GHz channels at will and the channel stays where I put it.

For comparison, my main settings on the 2.4GHz are...

Hide SSID: no
Wireless Mode: auto
Optimized for XBox: no
b/g protection: yes
Channel bandwidth: 20MHz
Control Channel: 1 (presently - I normally sit on 11 even though in the UK)
Authentication method: WPA2 Personal
WPA encryption: AES
Network key rotation interval: 3600

For comparison, my main settings on the 2.4GHz are...

Hide SSID: no
Wireless Mode: auto
Optimized for XBox: no
b/g protection: yes
Channel bandwidth: 20MHz
Control Channel: 1 (presently - I normally sit on 11 even though in the UK)
Authentication method: WPA2 Personal
WPA encryption: AES
Network key rotation interval: 3600

Thanks! The only difference to my settings is that I have b/g protection off and the channel bandwidth set to 20/40MHz. After bit of experimenting I noticed that when I switch the bandwidth to 20MHz the channel selection works fine. When I switch back to 20/40MHz the channel gets stuck on 11 again.

Last time some people reported being unable to change channel, they fixed it by doing a factory default reset. Make sure you did that when you jumped from FW 3.0.0.4.2xx to firmware 3.0.0.4.3xx.

No, otherwise you would totally nullify the action of having erased your nvram. You have to reconfigure it.

Ok, then I better wait until everyone in the house is done online or they will eat me alive.

Thanks Merlin.

Last time some people reported being unable to change channel, they fixed it by doing a factory default reset. Make sure you did that when you jumped from FW 3.0.0.4.2xx to firmware 3.0.0.4.3xx.

My (recent) update path was 270.26b -> 372.30_2 -> 372.31. I did a factory default reset (the proper way, reentering everything manually, not using the save/restore functionality) when going from 270.26b to 372.30_2.

backup the config via the fw page, clear the nvram and see if the problem is fixed.

hi merlin, i've just upgraded from Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.372.30_3 to Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.372.31 and i cant select channel 13 anymore. I didnt do a factory reset as i didnt think i needed to coming form 372.30_2 and i found that 2.4ghz wireless has changed from 13 to 1 and i cant change it. It seems to be stuck on 1.

UPDATE:

I've restored factory settings and channel 13 still doesnt work. I've selected it applied the settings restarted and the asus wireless page says channel 13 is selected. But when i hold option and click the wifi logo on my mac is says channel 1

UPDATE:2

I've been able to select channel 13 once i put the channel bandwidth to 20mhz. But when i change it to 40mhz it goes back to channel 1. But the asus wireless page still says 13.

UPDATE:3

I've reverted back to 30_3 and channel 13 with 40mhz channel bandwidth works again. So i can only assume its something in 31 thats causing this.

Last edited:

I did this before switching to your firmware. This is first time I'm using it and I did jump from 3.0.0.4.2xx to firmware 3.0.0.4.3xx.

I went for your firmware, because on the stock one I have had way too many random packet losses for the last couple of weeks. I have a 50Mbps up/down fiber connection and this never happened since I have this provider.

So, I figured that the firmware (.272) was screwing things ups.

Anyway, everything went smoothly with the flashing and, up until now, I'm happy with your build.

However, I have the same problem: I choose channel 13 and all the connected devices so that the network uses channel 1. I choose channel 9 and they say they're connected to channel 11.

And I have done the factory reset.

Any ideas?

I just want to switch to a less crowded channel.

Update: these channel selection problems, at least in my case, seem to happen when I put the router in 20/40 Mhz or only 40 Mhz mode. In 20 Mhz mode it works properly.

Last edited:
Looks like your DH is incorrect. Make sure it was properly pasted on the Keys page. For some reason the DH is more sensitive to extra carriage returns and such.

I've re-pasted in the DH, and this time I see different errors in the log:

Jul 26 12:55:47 rc_service: httpd 309:notify_rc start_vpnserver1
Jul 26 12:55:47 syslog: VPN_LOG_ERROR: 634: Adding tunnel interface to bridge failed...
Jul 26 12:55:47 kernel: br0: port 4(tap21) entering disabled state
Jul 26 12:55:48 kernel: br0: port 4(tap21) entering disabled state

I've re-pasted in the DH, and this time I see different errors in the log:

Jul 26 12:55:47 rc_service: httpd 309:notify_rc start_vpnserver1
Jul 26 12:55:47 syslog: VPN_LOG_ERROR: 634: Adding tunnel interface to bridge failed...
Jul 26 12:55:47 kernel: br0: port 4(tap21) entering disabled state
Jul 26 12:55:48 kernel: br0: port 4(tap21) entering disabled state

Never mind, i searched for the error and found the answer.

For the benefit of anyone else, ensure that you DO copy the ----BEGIN PRIVATE KEY--- and -----END PRIVATE KEY------ bits when pasting into the router settings. The guide i linked says not to do this, but clearly it is needed :D

The channel gets passed to the wireless driver, which is closed source. There is nothing I can do about it if the driver decides to reject the channel for some reason.

Channel 13 is only available in some specific regions. Make sure your router does come configured for that region. North America for instance does not support channel 12 or 13.

Hello :)

I use the Asus RT-N66U with the firmware 3.0.0.4.372.31 (Merlin build). I can't set the WLAN channels, like some other people here in this forum. After reading about it, I put back my router to factory defaults, but this didn't help.

As long as I set the channel bandwidth to 20/40 MHz or 40 MHz I can't change the channel, it only use channel 1 (if I select 40 MHz) or 11 (if I select 20/40 MHz). Even channel 5 or 6 don't work. If I set the bandwidth to 20 MHz only, I can use channel 5 and 13 again. This also happens if the 5 GHz band is disabled.

I didn't had this problems with older Merlin builds. Any ideas?

Another thing: The 5 GHz band is still broken with my Samsung Galaxy Nexus smartphone (very slow bandwidth, connection interruption, etc.). No problems and full speed at 2.4 GHz band. Any ideas with this?

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!