What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.33 Beta 1 available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Does the original Asus firmware use mips32r2 or mips32?

mips32 only. It was hardcoded in a few places in the code, as their older routers didn't support mips32r2, and they haven't made it dynamically switch based on the target profile.

I've seen some of the precompiled binary blob optimized for mips32r2 however.

Hi Merlin,

It is very seductive to try the new 33.beta1 ASAP. :D So I have two questions to help me to decide to upgrade or not:

1. Shall I do a factory reset or it is possible to skip it?
2. If the factory reset is obligatory, how to manage the Entware installation which exists on the router's internal MicroSD card? I can survive the boring manual configuration after factory reset, but if I should repeat the Entware installation and its packages it will be too boring.

1) No need to if coming from a fairly recent version.
2) The microSD is not affected by a factory default reset, neither is JFFS.

Tried to set up dual wan in load balancing mode, but it didn't work. Couldn't get it to work with the previous version either.

Recent Mac models may have trouble with wifi. My 2011 MacBook Pro definitively does not like channel auto, and channel 40. I haven't done an exhaustive search.

Channel 48 is peachy for my Mac, works very well.

Note that the Macs have wonky wireless compatibility, it may not be ASUS' fault.

Search Google for posts about "Asuswrt 802.11d". There's a router setting you can adjust to improve compatibility with some Mac wifi adapters.

Another little thing on the graphics.

When using the AiCloud from remote the old logo shows up on the top.

For the webui, try clearing your browser cache - I didn't have the broken image here with my RT-AC66U.

For the mobile client, it's possible that Asus hasn't updated yet for AiCloud 2.0.

1) No need to if coming from a fairly recent version.
2) The microSD is not affected by a factory default reset, neither is JFFS.

Thank you! Especially the information about JFFS was very useful for me. Today later I will try the new beta. I hope the 32.beta3 is "sufficiently fairly recent" to 33.beta1, so I will avoid factory reset.

For the webui, try clearing your browser cache - I didn't have the broken image here with my RT-AC66U.

For the mobile client, it's possible that Asus hasn't updated yet for AiCloud 2.0.

Changed to Chome and works fine now.
Both problems gone.
I think IE10 is a bit of a pain with this interface.

Cheers!

No issues so far with this beta. In fact, signal levels in my back room seem to be up 2 to 4 dBM. Is this possible, or I'm more likely seeing a side effect of less interference in my area on this particular day or something like that?

Thanks for the update,
Mike

I have had absolutely no issues whatsoever coming to the 374.33 beta 1 from the 374.32 release.

While my setup is very straightforward - one wired device and four wireless with nothing fancy, the wifi signal in both 2.4 and 5GHz is rock solid in a very busy urban area.

I subscribe to a 120/12 cable package and right now approaching peak time I got 109/12 wired, 77/12 wireless on my iPhone5 and 40/11 wireless on my iPad2.

Nice work and thanks.

Tested the Samsung Galaxy S4 which was running crap on wifi on version 374.32. Connection is fine now with this firmware. Thanks!

BTW this on a AC66U and i'm talking about the 5Ghz.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:
No good for me

Asus Ultrabook

Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6235 wireless card
latest driver dated 8/9/2013

Will NOT connect anything higher than 144 on 5 GH channel

Switched back to the SDK6 beta connects at 300.

Also tried the FW_RT_N66U_3004374257 STOCK firmware.
Same problem 5 GHZ only connects at 144 max.

CC

No issues so far with this beta. In fact, signal levels in my back room seem to be up 2 to 4 dBM. Is this possible, or I'm more likely seeing a side effect of less interference in my area on this particular day or something like that?

Thanks for the update,
Mike

Which router? They all use different drivers...

Asus Ultrabook

Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6235 wireless card
latest driver dated 8/9/2013

Will NOT connect anything higher than 144 on 5 GH channel

Switched back to the SDK6 beta connects at 300.

Also tried the FW_RT_N66U_3004374257 STOCK firmware.
Same problem 5 GHZ only connects at 144 max.

CC

I see an increasing amount of complains on the web about Intel's network interfaces :( Guess I am very lucky with my own 6230.

I recommend setting the 5 GHz band to 40 MHz - there's a good chance that your adapter will then be able to connect at 300. Also, delete the wireless profile on your computer - this is sometime needed when moving between two radically different drivers (SDK5 and SDK6).

Search Google for posts about "Asuswrt 802.11d". There's a router setting you can adjust to improve compatibility with some Mac wifi adapters.

Yes I am well aware of this issue, I have posted more as a way to leave a hint about a good channel for people having 802.11d related problems.

For the uninitiated, 802.11d brings together under a single standard which channels are valid on each country flag, since not all countries allow connections on all channels. Thus, a computer client can switch from the 'US' valid channels to the 'UK' or 'BR' according to the router setting using the 802.11d rules. But not all computers use the same logic, and sadly several Mac models from 2011 onwards have long-standing issues on this matter.

40 is supposed to be an almost ubiquitous channel, available on almost all countries, but didn't work for me. 48 is also very common and worked.

If you have a Mac, try switching for a fixed channel, and if the one you have chosen does not work, try another. This is not a RT-AC66U/R issue, but a mac issue.

Loving the firmware so far, only issue is the lack of load-balancing, which I would really make use of.

Which router? They all use different drivers...

The signal level improvement that I saw was on an RT-N66U. Signal level was measured in my "standard" location with a Galaxy Note 2 running WiFi Analyzer. I've always gotten -69 dBM in that location +/- about 2 dBM. With the new beta, I get -64 dBM +/- 2 dBM. I watched it for about 2 minutes like I usually do and I've never gotten a signal level that high in that location. This was running 2.4 Ghz.

Mike

The signal level improvement that I saw was on an RT-N66U. Signal level was measured in my "standard" location with a Galaxy Note 2 running WiFi Analyzer. I've always gotten -69 dBM in that location +/- about 2 dBM. With the new beta, I get -64 dBM +/- 2 dBM. I watched it for about 2 minutes like I usually do and I've never gotten a signal level that high in that location. This was running 2.4 Ghz.

Mike

Odd. There was no change in the RT-N66U driver for the past two version, aside from the SDK6 experimental release.

Seems great so far thanks, Had a browse via my AI app on my S2 with no problems and logged in via my web addy without issue.

Seems great so far thanks, Had a browse via my AI app on my S2 with no problems and logged in via my web addy without issue.

Me too.

This version (and so was the last) is working great, I have a bunch of Apple Hardware and am having (and we never having) any issues Since 374.32.

40 mhz

I see an increasing amount of complains on the web about Intel's network interfaces :( Guess I am very lucky with my own 6230.

I recommend setting the 5 GHz band to 40 MHz - there's a good chance that your adapter will then be able to connect at 300. Also, delete the wireless profile on your computer - this is sometime needed when moving between two radically different drivers (SDK5 and SDK6).

On the ROUTER side is where I lock in 40 MHZ correct? I already knew about
deleting the profile and that was done. In your opinion is the brand new beta better than the SD6 version?

CC

On the ROUTER side is where I lock in 40 MHZ correct? I already knew about
deleting the profile and that was done. In your opinion is the brand new beta better than the SD6 version?

CC

CC
Yes 40mhz on the router side.
I have not seen you around for awhile E4200 and Netgear side.

Chris

TY

Krum,

WOW from the old days! Been busy with work and life things. All good.
I am back now......

Thanks

CC

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!