What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.33 Beta 1 available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Howdy folks,

There were a few more things I wanted to finalize before releasing 374.33, but there's some stuff in need of wider testing already in, so I decided to publish this new beta release.

Highlights:

Code compiled for mips32r2 instead of mips32
All MIPS-based firmwares (RT-N16, N66 and AC66) are now compiled for their specific CPU target (instead of a lower common architecture used by some older routers). The biggest benefit after a quick testing was OpenVPN performance showed a very good performance boost. This optimization should however translate in performance improvement accross the whole firmware (aside from in precompiled bits such as the wireless driver).

New firewall rule generation code for Parental Control:
PControl is one of the original FW features that seems to still have a few quirks left. For some users it works fine, but for others it doesn't work at all. At least one big reason that was tracked down was that it didn't always properly generate the correct firewall rules based on your schedule - which might explain the different results for different users. The new code written by forum-user Makkie2002 should at least take care of this problem. I'm hoping that it will at least resolve things for people who are unable to use PControl at all.

Some former experimental features promoted to the main stage
In the latest RT-AC56U release Asus has now officially enabled Dual WAN and Repeater mode. Therefore, these two will now be included in the default builds of my FW as well instead of in separate experimental builds. Dual WAN still seems to be unable to switch back to its Primary connection when it's currently running off the Secondary connection. Otherwise, it should be stable enough to be usable.

AiCloud 2.0:
The latest RT-AC56U firmware marked the debut of AiCloud 2.0. I was able to merge it back into all AiCloud-enabled builds. This will need some good testing to ensure that it does work properly on all four routers, not just the AC56.

The small stuff:
Fixed issues preventing Astrill's plugin from working on the AC56. Last Seen Device support added for the AC56 (on Sysinfo page). Fixed Samba performance (regression from 374.32). And some more, all exposed on the Changelog.

Where you guys come in:
Your turn to work now ;)

Here's what I need tested:

• AiCloud 2.0. Make sure it does work properly, especially on N16/N66/AC66.
  • General stability and performance (N16/N66/AC66). Any performance overall improvement from the compiler optimizations?
  • Parental Control. This is the one most in need of testing. Please let me know if it did resolve your issues (or if it created new ones).
  • Wireless on RT-AC56U. New wireless driver, which should include (amongst other things) support for both implicit and explicit beamforming.

Also, one question: does anyone use the Yandex DNS blocklist from the Experimental editions? How is it working out for you? Just wondering if it's worth still enabling it or not.

EDIT: No pixie dust for this build for now. Don't worry, the final release will still come in dust-sprinkled edition in addition to the regular ones..

Hit the forum sticky for download and changelog links.

Flash away :)

Merlin you are awesome, in my preliminary testing AiCloud 2.0 is working great on the AC66u. And thanks for fixing the Master Browser errors with WAN IP.

"Juste mineure" :) spanish? label translation in wireless professional.

Merci Merlin for this beta.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    8.3 KB · Views: 631
Downloading it now and start to test with parental controls, (-7:00 daylight time)
Thanks a bunch Merlin

Chris

"Juste mineure" :) spanish? label translation in wireless professional.

Merci Merlin for this beta.

Ya, a little mistake in Asus's 374_119 language files :) I haven't had time to fix it yet.

Merlin,

As you probably know I am new to the Asus router scene, so forgive the low-tech questions.

I want to install your firmware. Can I flash it on top and not lose settings? Or Will I have to set everything up again.

Thanks!

Merlin,
I just left your experimental build and first, I had some serious issues with the experimental build. Now I've gone to this one and I have to say that something has seriously improved...I have not been able to get 11MBps download on a file from my server until now from such a great distance. Much improved. I've been trying to work an extender to solve some speed issues, but this build may have beat the rest. I just hope the n is stable and I will check in if otherwise. Thanks!

Merlin,

As you probably know I am new to the Asus router scene, so forgive the low-tech questions.

I want to install your firmware. Can I flash it on top and not lose settings? Or Will I have to set everything up again.

Thanks!

Merlin has a read me in with with firmware that explains it all, how to flash and what you need to know

Chris

Merlin,
I just left your experimental build and first, I had some serious issues with the experimental build. Now I've gone to this one and I have to say that something has seriously improved...I have not been able to get 11MBps download on a file from my server until now from such a great distance. Much improved. I've been trying to work an extender to solve some speed issues, but this build may have beat the rest. I just hope the n is stable and I will check in if otherwise. Thanks!

On which router?

Howdy folks,

There were a few more things I wanted to finalize before releasing 374.33, but there's some stuff in need of wider testing already in, so I decided to publish this new beta release.

Highlights:

Code compiled for mips32r2 instead of mips32
All MIPS-based firmwares (RT-N16, N66 and AC66) are now compiled for their specific CPU target (instead of a lower common architecture used by some older routers). The biggest benefit after a quick testing was OpenVPN performance showed a very good performance boost. This optimization should however translate in performance improvement accross the whole firmware (aside from in precompiled bits such as the wireless driver).

New firewall rule generation code for Parental Control:
PControl is one of the original FW features that seems to still have a few quirks left. For some users it works fine, but for others it doesn't work at all. At least one big reason that was tracked down was that it didn't always properly generate the correct firewall rules based on your schedule - which might explain the different results for different users. The new code written by forum-user Makkie2002 should at least take care of this problem. I'm hoping that it will at least resolve things for people who are unable to use PControl at all.

In the latest RT-AC56U release Asus has now officially enabled Dual WAN and Repeater mode. Therefore, these two will now be included in the default builds of my FW as well instead of in separate experimental builds. Dual WAN still seems to be unable to switch back to its Primary connection when it's currently running off the Secondary connection. Otherwise, it should be stable enough to be usable.

AiCloud 2.0:
The latest RT-AC56U firmware marked the debut of AiCloud 2.0. I was able to merge it back into all AiCloud-enabled builds. This will need some good testing to ensure that it does work properly on all four routers, not just the AC56.

The small stuff:
Fixed issues preventing Astrill's plugin from working on the AC56. Last Seen Device support added for the AC56 (on Sysinfo page). Fixed Samba performance (regression from 374.32). And some more, all exposed on the Changelog.

Where you guys come in:
Your turn to work now ;)

Here's what I need tested:

• AiCloud 2.0. Make sure it does work properly, especially on N16/N66/AC66.
  • General stability and performance (N16/N66/AC66). Any performance overall improvement from the compiler optimizations?
  • Parental Control. This is the one most in need of testing. Please let me know if it did resolve your issues (or if it created new ones).
  • Wireless on RT-AC56U. New wireless driver, which should include (amongst other things) support for both implicit and explicit beamforming.

Also, one question: does anyone use the Yandex DNS blocklist from the Experimental editions? How is it working out for you? Just wondering if it's worth still enabling it or not.

EDIT: No pixie dust for this build for now. Don't worry, the final release will still come in dust-sprinkled edition in addition to the regular ones..

Hit the forum sticky for download and changelog links.

Flash away :)

Aicloud 2.0 works btw, love ur firmware. What is pixie dust? :confused::confused:

Aicloud 2.0 works btw, love ur firmware. What is pixie dust? :confused::confused:

See here for the details :) That name came out because I've been reading Kim Harrison novels lately.

Just testing AiCloud 2.0 and the only thing I found so far is a picture missing after you login under Asus AiCloud 2.0

Maybe I need to reset the whole router as I flashed it from 372.32 beta 1....

So far I noticed a speed difference in how responsive the routers web config pages load.
Realy fast so far.
Testing the wifi when I get home as the last build of 374 my wifi was a bid flakey and had to go back to 372.32 beta1 to make it work ok again.

Another little thing on the graphics.

When using the AiCloud from remote the old logo shows up on the top.

Attachments

• logo missing.jpg
    logo missing.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 566
  • old logo from outside.jpg
    old logo from outside.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 570
Last edited:

Will Repeater mode ever be enabled for the RT-AC66U? I bought two when I heard this might be a possibility. In the mean time I'm using power plugs but not ideal.

Thanks for another great f/w release - the speed difference is noticeable on the loading of the router web pages. I'll test OpenVPN tonight.

I'm using 3.0.0.4.372.31_0-dwrpyd

Tried flashing the release that comes immediately after this one, but the Dual Wan stopped working.

The router wouldn't open any website while DualWan = On

Reversed back to 3.0.0.4.372.31_0-dwrpyd and all is good again or almost.

Dual wan doesn't work on Load Balancing mode. It works as Fail-over regardless of the mode you choose.

In other words it switches over to another connection when the first one fails. And it never checks back on the first one, until of course you reboot the router.

Hi Merlin,

It is very seductive to try the new 33.beta1 ASAP. :D So I have two questions to help me to decide to upgrade or not:

1. Shall I do a factory reset or it is possible to skip it?
2. If the factory reset is obligatory, how to manage the Entware installation which exists on the router's internal MicroSD card? I can survive the boring manual configuration after factory reset, but if I should repeat the Entware installation and its packages it will be too boring.

smb_pwd_check_ntlmv1

Hi Merlin,

I have some log messages last night (I think till I shutdown my main pc bedtime):

Sep 9 23:02:38 smbd[1017]: [2013/09/09 23:02:38, 0] libsmb/ntlm_check.c:smb_pwd_check_ntlmv1(55)
Sep 9 23:02:38 smbd[1017]: smb_pwd_check_ntlmv1: incorrect password length (70)

Thanks,
--

Tried to set up dual wan in load balancing mode, but it didn't work. Couldn't get it to work with the previous version either.

Recent Mac models may have trouble with wifi. My 2011 MacBook Pro definitively does not like channel auto, and channel 40. I haven't done an exhaustive search.

Channel 48 is peachy for my Mac, works very well.

Note that the Macs have wonky wireless compatibility, it may not be ASUS' fault.

Last edited:
Will Repeater mode ever be enabled for the RT-AC66U? I bought two when I heard this might be a possibility. In the mean time I'm using power plugs but not ideal.

Repeater mode is now available for the RT-AC66U starting with this beta release.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!