What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.33 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

According to the rules for protecting oneself, I shouldn't have that problem. I've pretty much done everything there. And I especially subscribe to behavior on the internet being the strongest predictor of whether you have those sort of problems. Not happening *smile*. I don't use OpenDNS, though, at the moment, although I have in the past. Using my ISP's DNS.

Good thought, though.

HI there

Just got this baby and of course i wanted Merlins build on, BUT 5gz is showing only 177mbs,... sometimes i cannot even connect on 5g,...

I have Asus G75XV with AC WIFI card,... as soon as i connect, that sam sec. i see 866mbps but i will drop down and not move up again,...

Wonder if i am doing something wrong?

Thanks

p.s.

i have RT-AC66U

Last edited:
...1l means that channel 1 will be the lower channel (so, the other channel the router will use is 3). Likewise, 11u means 11 will be the upper channel, so 9 will be used as the lower channel.
Currently the secondary channels would be 5 and 7. That is what you meant, right? There hasn't been a change?

Currently the secondary channels would be 5 and 7. That is what you meant, right? There hasn't been a change?

That depends on what channel you chose. With 6l, it would be 8. With 6u, it would be 4.

Nothing was changed, it's just combined in one single list now.

When I look at a 2.4 GHz band 40MHz width channel with inSSISer the secondary channel is always 4 channels away not 2 (which would then only be 30MHz wide). 1 bonds with 5, 11 bonds with 7, 6 bonds with 2 or 10. At least that is the way my ASUS has always automatically done it. It is probably different on the 5GHz band but each 2.4GHz channel number is 5MHz from the next one (thus the admonition to only use 1, 6 or 11 for our 20MHz channel. So, the secondary couldn't be less that 4 channels away without excessive overlapping.

802_11_channels.png

And that makes sense because one of the rules in the spec is that you can't have 2 2.4 GHz band 40MHz access points in the same vicinity (such as 1+5 and 11+7) because they would sense each other due to the overlap and at least one if not both would revert to 20MHz.

I fortunately live in a semi-rural location so I can hog the 2.4GHz band!

Anyway sorry for drifting off-topic. I am headed off now to install and exercise the new firmware. I have missed several generation so now seems the moment to get with the times...

When I look at a 2.4 GHz band 40MHz width channel with inSSISer the secondary channel is always 4 channels away not 2 (which would then only be 30MHz wide).

You're correct, sorry. Does it show that I never waste my time with 40 MHz width on the overcrowded 2.4 GHz band? :)

With .33 and with L2TP link on, "Internet status" page reports 2 IPs for Wan IP, and both of them are local addresses (10.*.*.*).

What happens if you set Internet to either "0" or "1" while on a Manual profile?

Not possible, GUI only accepts values 2-4094
BTW...0 shouldnt be used for untagged anyway as it violates 802.1q. VID 0 is actually reserved for CoS and it is "priority bit".

What particular change did Asus do that reduced the functionality?

Currently I cannot pinpoint exactly what did they change, compared Advanced_IPTV_Content.asp files, they are exact match with older build, so it must be something deeper.
Symptoms basicaly are, that if you configure IPTV via Manual tab (Dont know about predefined ones, cannot test those) it will immediately Drop your Internet connectivity if its working via Untagged vlan. (IPTV will still happily work, but without Internet)

So far I configured it this way, and it worked, beginning of your 374.33 and Asus official 374.720, it doesnt.
In Network map, it also shows "cross" between "internet" and "router" boxes as it were completely disconnected.

As I had to downgrade, I probably have to download source code first, to start looking what exactly they changed.
Also I probably have to "borrow" one Catalyst Switch from my workplace and start playing around with tagged & untagged vlan`s.

Last edited:
Etz, do you use an STB? How does your ISP actually transmit IPTV to the customers?

Etz, do you use an STB? How does your ISP actually transmit IPTV to the customers?

Yes, I have STB(s).

Well its pretty simple, I have a Switch in my basement which has port configured as trunk and provides me 2 vlan`s. Internet as Untagged (Cisco term native) and vlan4 tagged which provides IPTV via Multicast.

If you connect PC directly there or router without any vlan knowledge, you always end up with Internet connectivity, thats the whole point of using Untagged vlan for it.
That Catalyst switch itself has 1Gbit/s uplink to MPLS Switch.
VoIP is provided via SIP proxy on internet vlan, but I dont use it.

Router just bridges vlan 4 from WAN to specific port on LAN (Actually 2 ports for 2 STB`s). STB(s) is connected to that Specific port to gain access to that vlan 4.

ISP`s own router operates at the very same principle...but lacks 5Ghz Wireless and many other crucial features for me,
so I replaced it with RT-N16 and later with RT-N66U.
(I can provide example client port config from ISP side also, hence I worked myself there 2 years ago, if it helps solving this issue...).

Last edited:
Don't just rely on the link speed, do an actual file transfer to test things out. The link speed will fluctuate based on various things, including power management.

You don't mention at what range you get these readings, so it's impossible to tell if it's due to the range reduction or to anything else.

I'm not sure of the exact distance between the router and my PC. I was on your 3.0.0.4_374.32 before and it did maintain a higher link speed. Overall I am not to considered as I am still receiving almost my complete ISP speed.

My IOS devices are not, As previously said for some reason no matter what firmware I am on, Or if I am using 2.4GHz or 5GHz I always have had around 10Mbps less. This also applies no matter the distance from the router, I can be standing right next to it and it wont improve.

Etz, I see.
Well, my ISP also provides IPTV via multicast, but it doesn't seem to use any vlan for that. Or maybe I don't just know about it :) All I had to do to enable watching IPTV in my LAN was enabling igmp proxy & igmp snooping. I don't have an STB, however afaik, STB is just a device that converts ip based mpeg video stream into analog signal, so it would work in my case too.

I don't have an STB, however afaik, STB is just a device that converts ip based mpeg video stream into analog signal, so it would work in my case too.

Its not the case here, IPTV streams are also crypted and STB also Decrypts (Gets Crypto keys, from ISP) it. There are only 3 local "channels" which are free and can be watched on whatever device you want if you know server IP.

I personally also have STB connected via HDMI trough my Receiver to get decent Audio :D
Also we have couple of HDTV (1080i) channels available so no analogue outputs can be used to watch those.

Last edited:
Hi All/RMerlin,
Firstly a big thankyou to RMerlin for his dedicated work.
I'm currently running 3.0.0.4.270.26b on a RT-N66U, and planning to upgrade to 3.0.0.4.374.33.
I've kept up to speed with commentary and feel this is probably the best time to go for an update. I understand I need to record all my settings and manually re-input them, after doing a factory default. So just to confirm the process, is it:

1) Note down/screenshot all settings.
2) Backup settings in case I come back to this firmware.
3) Flash with 3.0.0.4.374.33.
4) Do a Factory Default restore and reboot.
5) Manually re-configure Router ( WAN connection, Port Forwards, Manual IP Assignments, History, USB etc).
6) Reboot ?

Lastly I've got Entware installed on my attached USB stick, do I need to do anything with it ? Or can I just continue using what's there prior to the upgrade ?

Many Thanks,
Pete.

So, if I understand you correctly, your vlan 4 can be successfully transmitted to your STB, since it has a vlan number. Your internet, however, doesn't have a vlan number, and because of that, the router doesn't transmit it to LAN at all. But previous firmware versions can do that trick, and you suspect that if the current firmware allowed assigning "empty" as internet's vlan number, it would resolve the issue.
If it's so, you may try to assign "empty" to your internet network manually, by direct editing its value in the vram. Who knows, maybe it will help?

Last edited:
IMPORTANT:
Due to the SDK change on the RT-N66U, you *MUST* revert back to factory default and manually reconfigure your router if coming from an older firmware! The only exception is if you were previously running either the Pixie Dust release (3.0.0.4.374.32-sdk6), or a previous beta of 3.0.0.4.374.33 (except for the -sdk5 Beta, of course).
Hi RMerlin! Do we have to do the same thing for RT-AC66U? Coming from 3.0.0.4.372.31 (Merlin build)...

Just wanted to thank Merlin and all the testers for this fine firmware release!

I use an RT-N66U, and want to post one bug, one other thing I have found, plus a request...

First, the bug... This one has been around for as long as I have had the RT-N66U, so not a Merlin thing!

If you go in to the Wireless setting page, and change the channel number manually, it can reset the entire WiFi settings, all the way back to factory defaults, including SSID name etc...

If you change the WiFi channel manually, make sure that you check your WiFi settings after you have saved the changes, it might have reset your settings!

Now, the observation...

If you change Regulation Mode to 802.11h, my Libratone Live speaker, as well as my iPhone 4s will not connect to the network. However my iPhone 5 connects fine! This is with iOS 7.0.2 on both phones. The Libratone speaker is nothing to do with Apple, and simply will not connect to the network with 802.11h enabled.

Now, the request...

When you find time, could you please look in to the possibility to enable a manual MTU setting while using Auto settings on the WAN configuration page? The default is 1500, and I would like to be able to change it, however if I set the router to manual mode, it won't connect to the Fibre Modem.

Many thanks Merlin, and take it easy!

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!