What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.38 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I switched to the 3.0.0.4.374.38_2em version. Great work, m8!

I'm still having some issue with dlna.
I have the following folder structure:
+media
++film
++film2
++series

I can see all movies in "Film" and only 6 coming from "Film2" (out of more than 20). Series folder is not even take in consideration.

It means you must have a damaged file in the film2 folder causing the scan process to crash. You will have to try to isolate which file is causing the scanner to hang.

Hi all, hi RMerlin,

I continue to have problems with this redirection thing, here is my firts post on the matter:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/forums/showpost.php?p=99243&postcount=339

No matter what link or internet address you click or enter in your browser, you get redirected to your router's ip. Every thing related to Port Forwarding is disabled, by the way, but SOME port forwarding DID happened, as shown to me in System Log/Port forwarding tab.:eek: :

Destination Proto. Port range Redirect to Local port Chain
!192.168.2.0 TCP 80 192.168.2.1 18017 PREROUTING

misteriously some rules are added automatically to /tmp/redirect_rules

cat /tmp/redirect_rules:

*nat
:pREROUTING ACCEPT [0:0]
:pOSTROUTING ACCEPT [0:0]
:OUTPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
:VSERVER - [0:0]
:LOCALSRV - [0:0]
:VUPNP - [0:0]
:YADNS - [0:0]
-A PREROUTING -d 192.168.1.5 -j VSERVER
-A VSERVER -j VUPNP
-A POSTROUTING -o eth0 ! -s 192.168.1.5 -j MASQUERADE
-A POSTROUTING -m mark --mark 0xd001 -j MASQUERADE
-A PREROUTING ! -d 192.168.2.1/255.255.255.0 -p tcp --dport 80 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.2.1:18017
COMMIT

any idea?

This redirection usually happens if your WAN interface is down, or incorrectly configured.

crap, i noticed the not rule in iptables and forgot about it. i wonder if this might be the answer for the guest ap woes. agh, i want to test, but the network will be in use all day

[edit/] nevermind, !br0 was on the forward chain. probably why i forgot about it

Last edited:
This redirection usually happens if your WAN interface is down, or incorrectly configured.

Not in this case, actually, I can ping google(also through wan iface) from the the routers ssh interface during the redirection thing :cool:

Last edited:
Quick update;

Its been 11 hours since both AC68's have been rebooted while running FW 38_2. And the link speed between the two routers has dropped to 52Mbps. :D

And after rebooting both routers, link speed stayed at 52Mbps.

Attachments

• linkspeed.png
    linkspeed.png
    38 KB · Views: 429
Is there anything new being added to the git source after the latest _2?
Seems like plenty of changes to the source after running git pull.

Is there anything new being added to the git source after the latest _2?
Seems like plenty of changes to the source after running git pull.

Check the commit log:

Code:
git log

Hey, i'm on a AC66U.

This new firmware is great and I already notice lots of wifi improvement.

However is anyone else having problems logging into the router C/P via ip address?

I had to wire directly to the router and set a manual IP before being able to get into the control panel. Still can't get it over Wifi. Only got partway there once and the page timed out before it finished loading.

I apologize if this was mentioned in the thread and i missed it. I am rereading it currently and will edit if i solve this mystery

Last edited:
What browser are you using?

I had to wire directly to the router and set a manual IP before being able to get into the control panel. Still can't get it over Wifi. Only got partway there once and the page timed out before it finished loading.
Hi,

I had the same issue when I tried to switch my routers (AC68U to be the main router) - used Firefox 26 and IE 11 with same (bad) results - even reset to defaults did not help! :rolleyes:

Bringing back the router to AP mode works fine... :rolleyes:

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

What browser are you using?

Regardless of browser, device, anything. Trust me, I've tried everything from iOS to Linux and across about 3 versions of Windows and OS X. It's not a browser problem, unfortunately.

I can have a great solid stable connection but I can't get to 192.168.1.1. All the HTTP packets lost. It's like I have wifi connection disabled in settings... but I know I don't because I've been messing with it all day.

5dB, that is a lot and not to be expected.
Did you do a "reset to defaults" after the firmware flash and manually enter your settings?
Did you used a fixed WiFi Control Channel with your tests?
Yes
Yes
Yes
Of course, I would say. I learned a lot from all the posts.

I "glued" my test laptop on a certain place in my house, the same with the Asus.
I have no disturbing Wifi signals in the neighbourhoud.
I use the RT-N66U in the AP-mode as I have a D-Link router close to the modem (no wireless switched-on on the D-Link).
Cabling is CAT5E.

I get drops in the house now when listening to Internet radio with my Smartphone (Radio 1 app in The Netherlands), which is connected over Bluetooth to my hearing aids (superb sound, in stereo :) ).
When using 270.26b it was not the case, 374.36_beta1-sdk5 was also good (slightly worse, but acceptable).

I go back to 270.26b to refresh my experience with that version, than to 374.36_sdk5 and wait for the final ;)

Hey guys just upgraded to 374.38_2-em, did a factory reset and configured my settings in. So far all good!

Just one weird thing - the traffic monitor, when you select 24 hours, seems to show incorrect behaviour, but only for the Internet tab. It's almost like it is showing a cumulative graph. Also the download counts on Daily/Monthly are incorrect. Is anyone else getting this?

Attachments

• Clip.jpg
    Clip.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 469
I've gone from SDK5 back to SDK6, 374.38_2, and it's working well, but still suffers the weaker signal issue.

With SDK5 I used a lower transmit power and the signal was still stronger than SDK6's default setting.

weird redirection thing

Originally Posted by wolfthesad View Post
Hi all, hi RMerlin,

I continue to have problems with this redirection thing, here is my firts post on the matter:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/forum...&postcount=339

No matter what link or internet address you click or enter in your browser, you get redirected to your router's ip. Every thing related to Port Forwarding is disabled, by the way, but SOME port forwarding DID happened, as shown to me in System Log/Port forwarding tab. :

Destination Proto. Port range Redirect to Local port Chain
!192.168.2.0 TCP 80 192.168.2.1 18017 PREROUTING

misteriously some rules are added automatically to /tmp/redirect_rules

cat /tmp/redirect_rules:

*nat
:pREROUTING ACCEPT [0:0]
:pOSTROUTING ACCEPT [0:0]
:OUTPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
:VSERVER - [0:0]
:LOCALSRV - [0:0]
:VUPNP - [0:0]
:YADNS - [0:0]
-A PREROUTING -d 192.168.1.5 -j VSERVER
-A VSERVER -j VUPNP
-A POSTROUTING -o eth0 ! -s 192.168.1.5 -j MASQUERADE
-A POSTROUTING -m mark --mark 0xd001 -j MASQUERADE
-A PREROUTING ! -d 192.168.2.1/255.255.255.0 -p tcp --dport 80 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.2.1:18017
COMMIT

any idea?

Well RMerlin, you are right: when wan (although for a very short time) is down redirection (to routers ip) rules are applied; when wan is again already up and I can ping any host outside in internet, redirection continues to point browsers to router's ip.

This should not happen, or I am wrong? It's really annoying all this redirection thing, I think.
It´s the only thing I can point about your otherwise excellent firmware, the only usable at the moment for my asus ac66u. Do you have a donation-via-paypal-link?

LED Behavior

Hi all,

I'm new to the Asus router scene as I just bought me an Asus RT-AC68U router. Directly I installed this version of Merlin's firmware. What a great job you do here! One of the reasons why I jumped into this Asus router. (Coming from a Zyxel NBG6716)

I have a question about LED behavior on this router. All LED's seem to behave as expected, however the 5Ghz Wifi LED is somewhat different and I want to know if I need to worry or it is by design.

Every x seconds the LED turns off longer than usual somewhat like more than half a second and it seems to do this in een pattern for 3 to 5 times. I'm worried that the radio is quickly turning off and on. Can this be monitored? Or is this normal behavior? I'm even not sure this LED behavior leads to real lost of functionality.

Update:
After reading part of this thread it seems to be behavior already known for these firmwares. I will read this thread more, maybe I find the answer there. I did see Marlin reacting to previous remarks.

Thanks
Vincent

Last edited:
For those switching between SDK builds (N66U)
I'd like to gather some feedback concerning the wifi signal strength/performance of this new driver. To ensure we do get proper results, a factory default reset + manual reconfiguration is needed - any result done without doing this step will simply be useless. I recommend the following procedure:

1) Make a backup of your current settings, and name it "Settings-RTN66-SDK5.cfg" or something like that, so you know to which SDK those settings belonged
1a) Optional: if you want to save time, note down your DHCP static leases and port forwards. Through SSH or Run Cmd:
Code:
nvram get vts_rulelist
nvram get dhcp_staticlist
2) Check out the RSSI that you get from your router from a distant place in your house (somewhere where the signal is below -40dbM is probably a good place to test)
3) Flash with the new build (either regular or the -em experimental build)
4) Do a factory default reset
5) Manually reconfigure everything
5a) Optional: if you previously noted down vts_rulelist and dhcp_staticlist, reimport them:

Code:
nvram set vts_rulelist="what you noted"
nvram set dhcp_staticlist="what you noted"
nvram commit

6) Check again the RSSI from the same location (ideally with the same channel as you were previously using).

When I run the nvram get dhcp_staticlist command, what do I do with the output? Do you copy to a txt file? Does the "what you noted" translate to the path and name of that txt file?

Hey guys just upgraded to 374.38_2-em, did a factory reset and configured my settings in. So far all good!

Just one weird thing - the traffic monitor, when you select 24 hours, seems to show incorrect behaviour, but only for the Internet tab. It's almost like it is showing a cumulative graph. Also the download counts on Daily/Monthly are incorrect. Is anyone else getting this?

Same here RT-N66U on 38_2.