What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 3004.388.4 beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just couldn't give up, I followed the procedure below and it worked. No more DHCP error even on a reboot! 388.4 beta up and running! I slightly modified the original procedure........see below:

ISP's DHCP not functioning - Fix for ASUS Router owners (probably others)

I'm posting this to assist others with the same issue. I recently upgraded my Xfinity Internet to a higher speed and purchased a new modem to support 1000Mbps. I prefer to manage my own hardware so I purchased a Motorola MB7621 modem and after working with Comcast, I got the MAC address updated and confirmed I was online with internet exiting the new modem. Then the trouble started. My ASUS RT-AC1900P router that had been working swimmingly with Comcast as of 1 hour ago would not connect citing DHCP errors from my ISP. Neither the posts on this site, nor anything from ASUS had clear guidance on this issue. The only thing that eventually worked for me was:

1. Be connected to your wifi network even though it's not getting Internet, you need to access the router only at this point.

2. Access your router admin (192.168.1.1) and find out your firmware number and place to update it MANUALLY.

3. Disconnect from your wifi network and get online somehow. I used my ethernet cable because I had internet to my modem, you could use a hotspot or whatever, just get online.

4. You'll then want to visit ASUS website, go to support, find your device, and DOWNLOAD the latest firmware. Then unzip it and remember that file name and location. https://www.asus.com/us/support/

5. Rejoin your wifi network, yes, the one that doesn't have Internet.

6. Go back into the admin portal (192.168.1.1) and upgrade your firmware using the file you downloaded and unzipped.

7. Do a HARD reset of the router using the button in the back. For some reason, the reset offered through the admin portal didn't seem to work.

8. Let the router restart and join the network called ASUS (this is what you did when you bought it)

9. Once you join it will ask you to set up a new network. Follow the steps that you did back when you bought it (Automatic IP, not Static). at this point unplug modem

10. Reconfigure your network SSIDs because the reset wipes everything out.

11. Power on the modem

12. ASUS will detect the Comast signal, do the configs and get you online, nothing else for you to do.

CC

Really sorry to see that the AX56U is no longer supported. Just bought it five months ago, replacing an AC87U that was hacked due to old fw - now it seems that I again have to buy a new model.. For the price the AX56U is a great router.

Which model would you recommend in that price range and specs, but with estimated more than five months of security updates?

Really sorry to see that the AX56U is no longer supported. Just bought it five months ago, replacing an AC87U that was hacked due to old fw - now it seems that I again have to buy a new model.. For the price the AX56U is a great router.

Which model would you recommend in that price range and specs, but with estimated more than five months of security updates?
Maybe you can open another thread?
This thread is about firmware 388.4_beta1....

Reactions: a5m
Dirty firmware upgrade on my GT-AX6000 performed two days ago from v388.2_2 to v3004.388.4 beta. All seems to be OK.
1690741258545.png

Thanks @RMerlin.

I flashed 3.0.0.4.388_23748 at my ax88u node. Removed it from mainrouter and added it again to mesh with no problem. So beta1 works normally with the original asus software as expected.

You had me at hello!
Finally, I can say 160Mhz works as expected.
Almost 25h, 160MHZ does not fall back.

I do see that after 25 hours the counter reset, but all good here.

One of the best Betas in long time, guess that is The GPL with updated WiFi drivers.

Screenshot_20230730_210005_Chrome.jpg

Thanks for the reply. Qos is off. Did full reset and changed nothing. Tested on a pc and by wifi. Both missing some speed. Dirty flash back to 3.0.0.6.102_21514 and speed is back. Very strange....

Did you try rebooting the clients that you're seeing the speed problems on? I've noticed that when I flash a new firmware version that's a different "family", and these two firmware versions are different code bases, I need to toggle Airplane mode and/or reboot the clients to get back to full speed.

If you've already tried that, never mind *smile*.

Updated to beta1 GT-AX6000 3 days ago, working just fine.

Screenshot 2023-07-31 at 08-36-34 ASUS Wireless Router GT-AX6000 - System Information.png

Did you try rebooting the clients that you're seeing the speed problems on? I've noticed that when I flash a new firmware version that's a different "family", and these two firmware versions are different code bases, I need to toggle Airplane mode and/or reboot the clients to get back to full speed.

If you've already tried that, never mind *smile*.
Again thanks for your reply to solve this strange problem. Did also test the speed in the router and that is only 300. This morning flashed again the beta. Did again a full hard reset. Only set it up very easy, changed nothing and speeds are low. Unpluged modem from ziggo, reconnected but still the same. "runner" enabled, "flow cache enabled. Nothing gets me a higher speed. Tried getting a different dns but that also does not help me getting higher in download speed. Tried 388.2_2 and the speed is back. Because beta is based on 23285 i flashed that one. Speed is oke with that firmware.

Last edited:
You had me at hello!
Finally, I can say 160Mhz works as expected.
Almost 25h, 160MHZ does not fall back.

I do see that after 25 hours the counter reset, but all good here.

One of the best Betas in long time, guess that is The GPL with updated WiFi drivers.

View attachment 52050
AAA.jpg

Agreed. But seeing new Utilization % that's not on your screenshot.

But seeing new Utilization % that's not on your screenshot.
Whether or not it is displayed depends on the router model.

NAT Type has been removed in this version, and foreseeable future since it's not "supported" on the kernel (I mean if you're coder surely it's possible to fix), I'd avoid upgrading if you're a gamer, so therefore I'll be downgrading back to the previous FW until the foreseeable future.

NAT Type has been removed in this version, and foreseeable future since it's not "supported" on the kernel (I mean if you're coder surely it's possible to fix), I'd avoid upgrading if you're a gamer, so therefore I'll be downgrading back to the previous FW until the foreseeable future.
As RMerlin has explained, the NAT Type has only been removed from the models that don't support it. Even though those devices previously had the option in the GUI it wasn't doing anything (other than placebo).

The erroneous option was removed in 388.1.
Rich (BB code):
388.1 (3-Dec-2022)
  - REMOVED: NAT Type setting on HND 5.04 devices (fullcone is
             not supported by kernel 4.19, so it wasn't working)

Last edited:
And Full Cone isn't better (let alone safer)..: link 1, 2, 3.
Maybe, just maybe needed by some games, and if it works at all...

Last edited:
so therefore I'll be downgrading back to the previous FW until the foreseeable future.
That setting did absolutely NOTHING for models for which it was removed. Broadcom never added any code for it in kernel 4.19. Proof that Full Cone might largely be placebo perhaps if you thought it made any difference for you?

Yes, it's just a matter of updating the ddns_custom_updated applet so it will also set that additional nvram.

I disconnected manually my PPPoE connection earlier to get a new IP address from the GUI (Network Map-> Internet Connection) but ddns-start script did not kick in. Do you think it is related to the same bug ?

Other scripts initialized correctly (see below).
Jul 31 20:49:56 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/nat-start
Jul 31 20:49:56 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/firewall-start (args: ppp0)
Jul 31 20:49:56 wan: finish adding multi routes
Jul 31 20:49:56 miniupnpd[2214]: shutting down MiniUPnPd
Jul 31 20:50:01 miniupnpd[9573]: HTTP listening on port 54607
Jul 31 20:50:01 miniupnpd[9573]: Listening for NAT-PMP/PCP traffic on port 5351
Jul 31 20:50:01 rc_service: ip-up 9432:notify_rc start_vpnserver1
Jul 31 20:50:01 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/openvpnserver1.postconf (args: /etc/openvpn/server1/config.ovpn)

Hello,

I have a newly Asus GT-AX6000. I did put MerlinWRT first and then set my ISP account (username and password). Unfortunately it fails to register, even after hard reset. Then after getting with the call center of my ISP they could not figure out what was wrong. I then decided last resort to put the latest 3.0.0.4 firmware from ASUS and now I am able to register and have internet access.

I don't know if anyone has had the issue or if I am the only one, however I think this is important to notice.
If there is a need for troubleshooting with me please let me know.

Something I notice also after hard reset with the Beta firmware, the log is always having an entry every minute saying:
Service: apply rules error 19543

This is why I thought let's go back to stock firmware.

Thank you,
Armandooooo

Hello,

I have a newly Asus GT-AX6000. I did put MerlinWRT first and then set my ISP account (username and password). Unfortunately it fails to register, even after hard reset. Then after getting with the call center of my ISP they could not figure out what was wrong. I then decided last resort to put the latest 3.0.0.4 firmware from ASUS and now I am able to register and have internet access.

I don't know if anyone has had the issue or if I am the only one, however I think this is important to notice.
If there is a need for troubleshooting with me please let me know.

Something I notice also after hard reset with the Beta firmware, the log is always having an entry every minute saying:
Service: apply rules error 19543

This is why I thought let's go back to stock firmware.

Thank you,
Armandooooo
Got the same issue.... with PPpOE connection. The behaviour is random... after plug and unplug or reboot the modem I was able to get the PPpOE session up. But after a reboot of router (Asus) I lost again the connection. Back to the previous version unfortunately.

Reverted to Merlin 388.2 and it is and has been rock solid. Will try again when its in release state. I just hope this issue is resolved at that time.

CC
Hi team, I am on GT-AX6000 ROG and I had exact same issues as CC666 noted and similar logs. My ISP is AussieBB and they use DHCP. Tried the DHCP settings suggested etc and it just could not establish connection to WAN. I reverted back to 388.2 and its back to normal and rock solid again. Hope it helps with Beta...

Edit: I then re flashed the new Beta and called ISP and had them "Kick" my connection at their end. Clearing previous DHCP info etc. Bingo! Working perfectly now... Can "KICK connection" via the ISP's toolbox or APP also.

I will report back if any other speed hump/s... Thanks Team!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.