What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 3004.388.4 beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a few betas I retested Samba/Cifs mounting my NAS (using protocol version 2.1). With beta 3, the md4 module is still not loaded.
I had put:
/sbin/modprobe md4
in my services-start file. I commented it out, rebooted and could not mount the NAS partition (permission denied).
I did the /sbin/modprobe md4 manually - mounts fine.
For now (or ever) I will keep it in services-start.

@RMerlin just an FYI.

Other than that, beta 3 working well on AX88U Pro and 2 AX58 nodes.

Make sure you are comparing the two firmwares in equal footing like using the same bandwidth, channel and band. 5XXMbps is acheivable in 5 Ghz band at atleast 80MHz you just need to find the cleanest channel so you have to try to assign the channel manually then test. I don't know maybe the AX68 cpu is also contributing to your slow speed but try the different channels first and see if it improves.
Yes, all of the wifi settings are same., only different is firmwares. The cpu is not busy.

The reason I'm checking the Wifi TX/RX is because my Speed Test is stuck and can't go above 500Mbps.
Which Speed Test is "stuck" and can't go above 500Mbs? Is it this one: https://www.asusrouter.com/AdaptiveQoS_InternetSpeed.asp which is already identified by many users, as being inaccurate & problematic? If so, what haven't you used an external (non-router) aka far more accurate speed test, to give you valid results?

Which Speed Test is "stuck" and can't go above 500Mbs? Is it this one: https://www.asusrouter.com/AdaptiveQoS_InternetSpeed.asp which is already identified by many users, as being inaccurate & problematic? If so, what haven't you used an external (non-router) aka far more accurate speed test, to give you valid results?

The Speedtest for wired internet is 5XX, but the WiFi is only at 3XX. After switching back to 388.2_2, the WiFi's Speedtest goes back to 5XX.

My QoS is disabled.

The Speedtest for wired internet is 5XX, but the WiFi is only at 3XX. After switching back to 388.2_2, the WiFi's Speedtest goes back to 5XX.

My QoS is disabled.
Yes, you've already posted that before, but you haven't answered the question that I posted??

Only AX68U speed test is stuck. I don't use QoS, I have an AC66U+ functioning as an AP, and it doesn't have any issues with Wi-Fi speed reduction.

388 is still a,bloody mess.caused me all types of issues,dosent matter if its the offical asus fw or merlin,the logs rtax86u show all types errors,i went bck to merlin 386.5 and it works like a charm,i aint updating till 388 is fixex

388 is still a,bloody mess.caused me all types of issues,dosent matter if its the offical asus fw or merlin,the logs rtax86u show all types errors,i went bck to merlin 386.5 and it works like a charm,i aint updating till 388 is fixex
Perhaps you want to elaborate as opposed to just ranting. You may get some useful help to resolve your issues.

This is not directly related to this Beta build but why does Merlin firmware spam the log with these messages ? These messages are not present on any stock firmware.

Aug 17 09:07:20 hostapd: eth6: STA xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
Aug 17 09:07:20 hostapd: eth6: STA xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
Aug 17 10:07:20 hostapd: eth6: STA xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxWPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
Aug 17 10:07:20 hostapd: eth6: STA xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
Aug 17 11:07:20 hostapd: eth6: STA xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
Aug 17 11:07:20 hostapd: eth6: STA xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
Aug 17 12:07:20 hostapd: eth6: STA xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
Aug 17 12:07:20 hostapd: eth6: STA xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
Aug 17 13:07:20 hostapd: eth6: STA xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
Aug 17 13:07:20 hostapd: eth6: STA xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
Aug 17 14:07:20 hostapd: eth6: STA xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)

This is not directly related to this Beta build but why does Merlin firmware spam the log with these messages ? These messages are not present on any stock firmware.
You are correct in saying this is not related to this beta. Those messages are generated at the info level so you should only see them if "Log only messages more urgent than..." has been changed to "debug" or "all". If that's not the case then I suggest you create a separate thread.

You are correct in saying this is not related to this beta. Those messages are generated at the info level so you should only see them if "Log only messages more urgent than..." has been changed to "debug" or "all". If that's not the case then I suggest you create a separate thread.

On Merlin the default is Notice then Debug. Why ?

Only AX68U speed test is stuck. I don't use QoS, I have an AC66U+ functioning as an AP, and it doesn't have any issues with Wi-Fi speed reduction.
Not sure that your read all of the posts on here correctly? This thread (should) only be about items related to Asuswrt-Merlin 3004.388.4 beta firmware releases, which in THIS post, you mentioned that when you switched to this firmware release, you had WiFi ac TX/RX speed issues, with one iPhone X (which is a dated device now, but it's still one that will run on all protocols: Wifi 6 / WiFi 5 and Wifi 4) on what you also mentioned "My router is AX68U". Several posts later, after some possible misunderstanding about related posts made by others, plus repeats about QoS (which my own replies never query or mention), it appears, that you're now relating to an AC66U router that's an AP on your LAN / AiMesh setup and that the "speed test is stuck" is just a red herring, as you can easily obviate that, as was suggested here

IF... there is any kind of problem with this firmware release that does specifically relate to TX/RX speed issues (which might in reality, only be on your setup / config...) It could be more useful, to make a revised and far more detailed post, about what you're actually testing, how, when and where, together with lots more detail about the setup / config that you've chosen to use. Having done that, it then might be possible, for others to assist the in identifying issues that you have, but that they don't.

Just did a "dirty" upgrade from BETA 1 to BETA 3, works fine. :)

Anecdotally, what pushed me to grabbing this was that ONE of my Amazon Echo Dots was acting up since I had installed BETA 1, complaining (as she said) of "connection problems" - and these issues were resistant to a full factory reset of the Echo Dot.

After the install of BETA 3, the Dot is happy once more.

Not sure that your read all of the posts on here correctly? This thread (should) only be about items related to Asuswrt-Merlin 3004.388.4 beta firmware releases, which in THIS post, you mentioned that when you switched to this firmware release, you had WiFi ac TX/RX speed issues, with one iPhone X (which is a dated device now, but it's still one that will run on all protocols: Wifi 6 / WiFi 5 and Wifi 4) on what you also mentioned "My router is AX68U". Several posts later, after some possible misunderstanding about related posts made by others, plus repeats about QoS (which my own replies never query or mention), it appears, that you're now relating to an AC66U router that's an AP on your LAN / AiMesh setup and that the "speed test is stuck" is just a red herring, as you can easily obviate that, as was suggested here

IF... there is any kind of problem with this firmware release that does specifically relate to TX/RX speed issues (which might in reality, only be on your setup / config...) It could be more useful, to make a revised and far more detailed post, about what you're actually testing, how, when and where, together with lots more detail about the setup / config that you've chosen to use. Having done that, it then might be possible, for others to assist the in identifying issues that you have, but that they don't.

This issue only happen in beta firmware. 388.2_2 does not has this issue.
AC66U+ that's an AP not AiMesh. This AC66u+ wifi does not has problem.
AX68U that's a main router. It has a wifi problem on beta. 388.2_2 does not has problem. The QoS is disabled.

Attachments

• wifi_1.jpeg
    wifi_1.jpeg
    75.1 KB · Views: 92
  • wifi_2.jpeg
    wifi_2.jpeg
    75.1 KB · Views: 80
  • wifi_3.jpeg
    wifi_3.jpeg
    73.9 KB · Views: 69
  • wifi_4.jpeg
    wifi_4.jpeg
    63 KB · Views: 73
All continues well with Beta 3 on new AX86U Pro - Maintaining default settings after WPS reset w/ new SSIDs and Passwords. Pixel (ax) phones good on 5ghz w/ 160mhz. Thank you Merlin.
merlin beta 3 wired.jpg

merlin beta 3 5ghz.jpg

merlin beta 3 ram.jpg
merlin beta 3 wifi ch.jpg

merlin beta 3 speedtest.jpg

pixel 7 pro - ax mode, approx 6 feet through ordinary wall

Last edited:
@Jeff-Yeh, are you testing properly? Without a full/proper reset, your findings and conclusions are not accurate or helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.