What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 3004.388.6 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I was working on adding a name to a new client in the "View List" on the "Network Map" page and it won't save. It's the IP 192.168.0.171 device. In looking at all places where this device is listed I find some really weird stuff going on.

First snip is the Client list, second snip is from "System Log - Wireless Log", third snip is "System Log - DHCP Lease" list. Things to note, Client List shows the device on 2.4GHz and when I edit the client name it doesn't save like in prior Merlin firmwares, Wireless log shows the device on 5GHz, and lastly the DHCP lease shows the client at 192.168.0.75 and 192.168.0.171 is not in the DHCP lease list. The device is really IP 192.168.0.171 and is on the 2.4GHz radio as I shut off the 5GHz radio and 192.168.0.171 still answers to ping. Other than this strangeness in these lists the router seems to be working just fine. My sig shows router and current firmware.
View attachment 56910

View attachment 56911

View attachment 56912
Seems like your router may be unstable. How long since the last factory reset?

Reset and manually doing reconfig done (not restored), so far all is as it should be except for keeping the router lights off.

I was working on adding a name to a new client in the "View List" on the "Network Map" page and it won't save. It's the IP 192.168.0.171 device. In looking at all places where this device is listed I find some really weird stuff going on.

First snip is the Client list, second snip is from "System Log - Wireless Log", third snip is "System Log - DHCP Lease" list. Things to note, Client List shows the device on 2.4GHz and when I edit the client name it doesn't save like in prior Merlin firmwares, Wireless log shows the device on 5GHz, and lastly the DHCP lease shows the client at 192.168.0.75 and 192.168.0.171 is not in the DHCP lease list. The device is really IP 192.168.0.171 and is on the 2.4GHz radio as I shut off the 5GHz radio and 192.168.0.171 still answers to ping. Other than this strangeness in these lists the router seems to be working just fine. My sig shows router and current firmware.
View attachment 56910

View attachment 56911

View attachment 56912
@drinkingbird wrote some very helpful responses to my queries concerning how the system names various devices from various sources (confirmed by @RMerlin in the same thread). This might be useful for you.

My main RT-AX86U upgraded successfully, but my RT-AC68U running as a mesh node seems to have been bricked with the 386.12_6 update and stuck with the USB 2.0 LED...

Any way to recover?

RT-AC68U running as a mesh node seems to have been bricked with the 386.12_6 update and stuck with the USB 2.0 LED...
Since this thread is about 3004.388.6, please post your problem in the 386.12_6 thread.

View attachment 56910

View attachment 56911

View attachment 56912
Looks like a random generated MAC address you've linked the name to. Ain't no use in labeling such a device.

@Ripshod ; @Dedel66
Hi, I'm coming back to you because I've just reset the router for the third time (WPS manual reset method).
I also manually reconfigured all the options as I do every time. I never put in a backup. So far (14h00) everything is working fine (LAN/WAN/WIFI).
1709459954322.png

I haven't had another web server crash when changing clients icons.

Only, I just noticed it in the logs when my smartphone is connected in Wifi, but maybe it's not serious :
Mar 3 08:50:52 roamast: sta[*:*:*:*:*:*] on ap[*:*:*:*:*:*], rcpi is 106 and rssi is -57
Mar 3 08:51:01 roamast: sta[*:*:*:*:*:*] on ap[*:*:*:*:*:*], rcpi is 102 and rssi is -59
Mar 3 08:51:21 roamast: sta[*:*:*:*:*:*] on ap[*:*:*:*:*:*], rcpi is 102 and rssi is -59
Mar 3 08:52:01 roamast: sta[*:*:*:*:*:*] on ap[*:*:*:*:*:*], rcpi is 106 and rssi is -57
Mar 3 08:52:12 roamast: sta[*:*:*:*:*:*] on ap[*:*:*:*:*:*], rcpi is 100 and rssi is -60
Mar 3 08:52:36 roamast: sta[*:*:*:*:*:*] on ap[*:*:*:*:*:*], rcpi is 104 and rssi is -58
Mar 3 08:53:12 roamast: sta[*:*:*:*:*:*] on ap[*:*:*:*:*:*], rcpi is 102 and rssi is -59
Mar 3 08:53:21 roamast: sta[*:*:*:*:*:*] on ap[*:*:*:*:*:*], rcpi is 102 and rssi is -59
Mar 3 08:53:31 roamast: sta[*:*:*:*:*:*] on ap[*:*:*:*:*:*], rcpi is 102 and rssi is -59
Mar 3 08:53:36 roamast: sta[*:*:*:*:*:*] on ap[*:*:*:*:*:*], rcpi is 100 and rssi is -60

Last edited:
Only, I just noticed it in the logs when my smartphone is connected in Wifi, but maybe it's not serious :
Saw the same roamast: sta log entries after flashing 3004.388.5 (see this post here). From searching this subforum at the time, it appears it may be tied to having Roaming Assistant enabled on the Wireless > Professional page and or possibly using AiMesh (which I don't). If not using AiMesh, try disabling Roaming Assistant and see if the messages go away on your router.

@Unetwork

Even if you use mesh: the roamassist doesn't work reliably anyway because the client decides where it wants to connect.

Thank you for this information.

I don't use AiMesh but I'll leave Roaming Assistant option as default which is on activate.
"roamast lines: sta" is not a problem in itself.

Apart from these lines, so far so good, I hope it lasts.

Maybe just a coincidence or bad luck that web server bug two days ago...

Last edited:
Did a dirty update on all my routers and all systems working fine, Thank Merlin!

Tried a dirty upgrade to 3004.388.6_2 on my AX86U and was getting random wifi disconnects on my Samsung S23FE and my google smart clock off and on (with wifi ssid still showing in the list when it would disconnect) Had WPA2 and WPA3 Personal enabled and switched that back to WPA2 Personal and the router firmware back to the previous version 3004.388.6_0 and no more disconnects. Read a thread a few days ago about wifi mac randomization and another about samsung devices have issues recently but not sure which thing could of caused it as of yet.
Just recently switched the WPA2 to WPA2 / WPA3 Personal a few weeks before the update to 6_2 and all the issues started after 6_2 it seemed.

Updated to 3004.388.6_2 on my AX86U, didn't notice the "format jffs partition on reboot"

Updated to 3004.388.6_2 on my AX86U, didn't notice the "format jffs partition on reboot"
Been addressed many times — it is no longer an option in the GUI.

Tried a dirty upgrade to 3004.388.6_2 on my AX86U and was getting random wifi disconnects on my Samsung S23FE and my google smart clock off and on (with wifi ssid still showing in the list when it would disconnect) Had WPA2 and WPA3 Personal enabled and switched that back to WPA2 Personal and the router firmware back to the previous version 3004.388.6_0 and no more disconnects. Read a thread a few days ago about wifi mac randomization and another about samsung devices have issues recently but not sure which thing could of caused it as of yet.
Just recently switched the WPA2 to WPA2 / WPA3 Personal a few weeks before the update to 6_2 and all the issues started after 6_2 it seemed.
You may try to delete the known wifi connection in the S23FE , switch to "pure" WPA3 and establish a new connection with the s23.

I´ve got a s23 ultra and many other clients which are working flawlessly with "pure" WPA3 at 5GHz net and 3004.388.6_2

Last edited:
Initial testing on a pair of RT-AX56U running 3004.388.6_2 in a AIMesh pair. First thing - the wi-fi connectivity between router and mesh node has gone from 'Great' to 'OK'. Equally, measuring the RSSI of the SSID's - they've all fallen slightly - by about -5-10dbm so best one is now -56dBm, from about -48dBm. The noise has stayed constant but this gap means the Signal to Noise ration is now a bit poorer. My go-to for jitter and latency is the GeForce NOW network test and latency via wi-fi is now 20ms, which is about the same as before but games like Rocket League (good for getting a feel of the connectivity) are noticeably worse than stock firmware with slight stuttering. Trying out cloudflare's speed testing gives the same result as stock firmware though with a slight increase in Jitter (for those that don't know, Jitter is the variability of latency over time) and a low jitter gives a smoother streaming experience. So - for now - I'll keep it on but borderline for me to switch back to stock at this point. In case anyone asks, I have bound the test desktop where I am running these tests to the AIMesh node, so it won't jump between the mesh node and the router.

Equally, measuring the RSSI of the SSID's - they've all fallen slightly - by about -5-10dbm so best one is now -56dBm, from about -48dBm.
Make sure that you use the same channel as before. In most regions, the DFS channels (100, for example) allow for more power than non-DFS channels. For example, in my case, the difference in dBm between these channels is significant.

Yup - it's the same channel as before. I have a fairly clear spectrum so use channel 36 for 5G (@80Hz). I tend not to use the DFS channels and have them disabled.