What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 3004.388.6 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

After reboot get the usual dialog, then this error (kernel: MACSEC: macsec is not enabled) repeating:

I can't speak to why you're losing connection, however, the MACSEC message (that you have highlighted a few times) appears for me as well but only when my client connected to the 2.5Gbps port powers on and powers off, or, if my modem connected to the 2.5Gbps WAN port somehow goes down as well.

The MACSEC message appears in stock AsusWRT as well, so I would imagine its not an issue related to Merlin and rather how ASUS has configured the 2.5Gbps/10Gbps (for other models) ports?

After reboot get the usual dialog, then this error (kernel: MACSEC: macsec is not enabled) repeating:
That`s not an error, that`s a notification. MACSEC is a business security feature that your home router does not support, the kernel is simply mentioning it as it reports a port connection.

@Howard_inGA, please use the Code box to paste short logs into. It will make your post much more readable and forum-friendly.

@Howard_inGA, please use the Code box to paste short logs into. It will make your post much more readable and forum-friendly.
Tried it, but it didn't seem to make a whole lot of difference. Easy to use going forward...
So, thanks for the nudge! One thing, the code box feature dropped character formatting. I was attempting to use that to highlight changes...not a MACSEC problem??

Last edited:
That`s not an error, that`s a notification. MACSEC is a business security feature that your home router does not support, the kernel is simply mentioning it as it reports a port connection.
Thanks, Eric. In that message, I was aiming not to highlight MACSEC so much as to provide a marker as the router developed and changed, then went into a hole that ultimately resulted in WAN connectivity glitching.
Right now, I remain clueless in GA...;-)

Did a complete wipe and install from scratch to 3004.388.6_2 today. Less Memory usage and the rate of memory in use increase is a lot better, that is slower. GUI is blazing fast. Nothing is having problems connecting but all the 5 ghz devices are slower - laptop in the room with the router with intel ax Wi-Fi adapter was getting 1100 to 1200 now gets high 700-860. I don’t think the issue is Wi-Fi specific because when connected by cable the laptop only gets 800 and it had been pegging at 1000. I didn’t test anything but access on the 2.4 ghz as they are all IOT stuff on an isolated guest network. Any ideas anyone?

Last edited:
what happend here i had some issues with the GUI loading slow
now the entire menu is gone ?
1710439076903.png

Did a complete wipe and install from scratch to 3004.388.6_2 today. Less Memory usage and the rate of memory in use increase is a lot better, that is slower. GUI is blazing fast. Nothing is having problems connecting but all the 5 ghz devices are slower - laptop in the room with the router with intel ax Wi-Fi adapter was getting 1100 to 1200 now gets high 700-860. I don’t think the issue is Wi-Fi specific because when connected by cable the laptop only gets 800 and it had been pegging at 1000. I didn’t test anything but access on the 2.4 ghz as they are all IOT stuff on an isolated guest network. Any ideas anyone?
OK I followed a section of the SANITIZE NETWORK process:
Unplug all network equipment from the AC wall outlets and let them sit for 60 minutes or more if you can (minimum is at least 10 full minutes), including the modem, router, switches, NAS' and all clients/devices.
  • Now, plug in the modem and wait for 5 minutes for it to fully boot up.
  • Plug in the router and wait for 5 minutes for it to fully boot up and settle itself.
  • Plug in any switches and plug in and turn on all clients/devices (I suggest wired devices first).
The first pic is laptop near router on cat 6 RealTek GBE adapter; the second is same laptop via wireless using AX wifi6 intel ax200
The cat 6 seems to be going bad or something, as I have to unplug and replug several times before it links a 1gb.

normal bandwidth restored.png

upgraded to 388.6_2
most devices seem stable in AImesh except for one wifi camera.
this one keeps disconnecting from time to time
it is bound to the RT-AX88U router
it has 100% signal
bandwidth stream is limited to 1Mbit
security is set to WPA2-personal AES

on 388.6 it was stable for days.

switching off both router and aimesh node did not help

Updated to this today with my GT-AXE16000. Upload speeds are obliterated. I was hitting 930-940mbps in Speedtests right before upgrading the firmware and now afterwards it's constantly in the 200-400mbps range. I have Verizon FiOS.

Pic:
what is going on.png

Last edited:
Updated to this today with my GT-AXE16000. Upload speeds are obliterated. I was hitting 930-940mbps in Speedtests right before upgrading the firmware and now afterwards it's constantly in the 200-400mbps range. I have Verizon FiOS.

Pic:
View attachment 57196
I've not noticed any difference on upload speed on this firmware on my router.

It's definitely the router, either the firmware or my GT-AXE16000 is on its way out. I just pulled the WAN cable and direct plugged it into my PC and every page loads instantly, no upload speed problems, everything is fine. Back in the router and I'm getting ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT for random pages, even sometimes pages that work on refresh don't, upload speed back in the gutter. I'm going to try backing up my settings and then resetting to default and if that doesn't work it's either the firmware flash went bad or my router is about to die.

why not
is there no GPL provided by asus ?

upgraded to 388.6_2
most devices seem stable in AImesh except for one wifi camera.
this one keeps disconnecting from time to time
it is bound to the RT-AX88U router
it has 100% signal
bandwidth stream is limited to 1Mbit
security is set to WPA2-personal AES

on 388.6 it was stable for days.

switching off both router and aimesh node did not help
I set my 2.4ghz to N ONLY to get a problem camera online for good.