What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 3004.388.7 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have a fan on top of my RT-AX88U to pull air up and out. It helps a lot, enough to justify the cost (around $25). Just be sure to use an inductive ball bearing type for longevity and noise. If you use some non inductive (brushes) it could possibly generate enough electrical "noise" to affect the router. BTW, with the fan my CPU is running at 43c. Without the fan it ran at around 70c.
Is it possible to obtain the part number of your fan (photos of the assembly) and plug it into a USB socket on the router ?
Temperature of my router with an ambient temperature in my living room of 24.3 °C (AX88U)
1715695972588.png

Last edited:
Temperature of my router with an ambient temperature in my living room of 24.3 °C (AX88U)
The temperatures are very good and completely normal - there is no need for a fan.

installed 388.7 on both RT-AX88U as well as RT-AX86U-PRO
so far so good, let's see if wifi is stable(which was not the case in 388.6_2)

If i may add sonmething to the future wishlist.
it would be nice if we could attach labels or some kind of popup when you click the physical ports(undr network map-status)
now i need to look up everytime what i connected to which port in case i need to trouble shoot.
some of my devices are 100Base-T but devices like Playstation show up as 100Base-T but once you switch them on they goto 1000Base-T
The WiFi has been stable since the WiFi driver update in 388.6. There's something in your setup causing this instability. When was the last time you did a factory reset?

Is it possible to obtain the part number of your fan (photos of the assembly) and plug it into a USB socket on the router ?
View attachment 58698
nothing wrong with those temps , well below any danger . my radios run at 45-47c cpu 63 c room temp 20 c

While playing around with configuration files, I found that it was not possible to configure my AX88Us as access points with fixed IPs. Only automatic IPs were possible.

With a fixed IP they got stuck after the restart and could not be reached under the set IP. The LEDs for wan and switch remained off.

Maybe someone can test this please?

View attachment 58698
The fan I'm using is AC powered (110v) because I use the USB connector for a drive.
I've provided two pictures, one with the fan in it's running location, and one to show the bottom with screws and nuts to keep it from sliding down the router. The fan comes with the screws and other hardware. I got it from Amazon (like everything)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009OXTWZI/?tag=snbforums-20
Also, while the router is rated to run at high temperatures, I'm of the opinion that electronics simply degrade faster when run hot. I'm sorry if anyone else disagrees with me, but I am addressing a specific question with an answer. I think you'll see a temperature differential of around 25 degrees Celsius. I too am running an AX88U.
Here's my Merlin Temperatures chart too.

Attachments

• IMG_1043.jpeg
    IMG_1043.jpeg
    56.8 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_1046.jpeg
    IMG_1046.jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 103
  • Screenshot 2024-05-15 at 12.01.12 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-15 at 12.01.12 AM.png
    76.3 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Excellent firmware as always, @RMerlin
Thank you for your awesome hard work and continued support and enhancements.

Regarding the change in iCloud Private Relay. Is there any possibility of perhaps fine tuning the behavior of this change? For example, leaving an option to disable automatic DoH but still allow iCloud Private Relay? Or else / in addition to, a rule to exclude VPN clients connected to the Router’s VPN servers from the PR block?

I’ve had a few issues with iCloud PR enabled devices on my LAN since this update, even with devices where it was ostensibly disabled for this particular network. The easiest solution has been to simply disable iCloud PR altogether in the affected device’s iCloud settings. For static devices, this isn’t a big deal for me, but for mobile ones, it becomes a bit of an added nuisance, because I do generally want to keep iCloud PR enabled when outside of my home LAN, but don’t want the hassle of having to keep enable and re-enable it in iCloud settings.

This is especially the case for mobile devices that I VPN into the LAN from. Have had my iPhone throw up errors about PR after brining up the VPN, and it wanting me to disable it entirely for the mobile network, as it thinks the entire mobile network is blocking PR, not the VPN server. But I really don’t want to do that, and nor do I want to have to keep the VPN connection up constantly on the iPhone.

Ideally I think there would be a method of allowing certain devices to keep iCloud PR enabled, or else at least a rule to not block PR for remote VPN client devices. But I have no idea how complicated that would be for you to implement, so just suggestions. For now iCloud Private Relay has been completely disabled on mine and family’s devices, but for me it’s not ideal.

Thanks again for your amazing work. We all really do appreciate your time and effort :)

A custom script can remove the new behavior.
Code:
# cat /jffs/scripts/dnsmasq.postconf
#!/bin/sh

CONFIG="$1"
. /usr/sbin/helper.sh

pc_delete "address=/mask.icloud.com/mask-h2.icloud.com/" "$CONFIG"

Great, thanks @dave14305 !

I have a fairly good idea of dnsmasq.posconf syntax, but I’m still a bit of a coding newbie. Would you mind talking me through this script? What is the pc_delete command exactly, and why does it call the helper.sh script?

Great, thanks @dave14305 !

I have a fairly good idea of dnsmasq.posconf syntax, but I’m still a bit of a coding newbie. Would you mind talking me through this script? What is the pc_delete command exactly, and why does it call the helper.sh script?
pc_delete is a helper function for less technical users. It uses sed to edit files. It’s described in the wiki.

Excellent firmware as always, @RMerlin
Thank you for your awesome hard work and continued support and enhancements.

Regarding the change in iCloud Private Relay. Is there any possibility of perhaps fine tuning the behavior of this change? For example, leaving an option to disable automatic DoH but still allow iCloud Private Relay? Or else / in addition to, a rule to exclude VPN clients connected to the Router’s VPN servers from the PR block?

I’ve had a few issues with iCloud PR enabled devices on my LAN since this update, even with devices where it was ostensibly disabled for this particular network. The easiest solution has been to simply disable iCloud PR altogether in the affected device’s iCloud settings. For static devices, this isn’t a big deal for me, but for mobile ones, it becomes a bit of an added nuisance, because I do generally want to keep iCloud PR enabled when outside of my home LAN, but don’t want the hassle of having to keep enable and re-enable it in iCloud settings.

This is especially the case for mobile devices that I VPN into the LAN from. Have had my iPhone throw up errors about PR after brining up the VPN, and it wanting me to disable it entirely for the mobile network, as it thinks the entire mobile network is blocking PR, not the VPN server. But I really don’t want to do that, and nor do I want to have to keep the VPN connection up constantly on the iPhone.

Ideally I think there would be a method of allowing certain devices to keep iCloud PR enabled, or else at least a rule to not block PR for remote VPN client devices. But I have no idea how complicated that would be for you to implement, so just suggestions. For now iCloud Private Relay has been completely disabled on mine and family’s devices, but for me it’s not ideal.

Thanks again for your amazing work. We all really do appreciate your time and effort :)
Aside from the excellent script advice of @dave14305 your iPhone when iCloud pr is enabled in your network and you keep trying to access the internet at a certain threshold it will eventually give you an option to disable iCloud pr in that network(exception). This way when the mobile phone is out of the network iCloud pr is still in place so there is no need to turn on/off the iCloud feature.

The WiFi has been stable since the WiFi driver update in 388.6. There's something in your setup causing this instability. When was the last time you did a factory reset?
I had to roll back to 388.6 from 388.6_2 for the wifi instability issue. @Gravityz did you see the same issue with 388.7 as 388.6_2? I am reluctant to try 388.7 yet

The fan I'm using is AC powered (110v) because I use the USB connector for a drive.
I've provided two pictures, one with the fan in it's running location, and one to show the bottom with screws and nuts to keep it from sliding down the router. The fan comes with the screws and other hardware. I got it from Amazon (like everything)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009OXTWZI/?tag=snbforums-20
Also, while the router is rated to run at high temperatures, I'm of the opinion that electronics simply degrade faster when run hot. I'm sorry if anyone else disagrees with me, but I am addressing a specific question with an answer. I think you'll see a temperature differential of around 25 degrees Celsius. I too am running an AX88U.
Here's my Merlin Temperatures chart too.
i use these fans to keep my old Amp cooler , so far 6 months they run well , can be used on a router as they do have usb connection https://www.amazon.ca/NewHail-140mm...n-Playstation/dp/B0C3V6PHMC/?tag=smallncom-20

Updated without any issues, Wireguard client seems to work fine too just like it did on previous releases. But this brings me into a question that I had for quite a while now: is it not possible to use IPv6-over-IPv4 with Wireguard?
My ISP only offers IPv4, but a VPN that I use has IPv4/IPv6 dual-stack (config file has both v4/v6 Address and AllowedIPs). On desktop with the Wireguard client I get IPv6 and can access IPv6-only websites but when using the same config on the router IPv6 is not available.
Is this by design or do I need to change some setting and/or tweak the config file? Interestingly there's no way to even type out the full IPv4/v6 address in the Address field on the Wireguard setup page on the router (limited amount of symbols) , but it gets filled properly when config is uploaded instead of typing it manually.

Dirty upgrade from 3004.388.6.2 on my GT-AX6000 since this morning (was aways in Italy for 3 weeks), no issues so far.

Updated without any issues, Wireguard client seems to work fine too just like it did on previous releases. But this brings me into a question that I had for quite a while now: is it not possible to use IPv6-over-IPv4 with Wireguard?
My ISP only offers IPv4, but a VPN that I use has IPv4/IPv6 dual-stack (config file has both v4/v6 Address and AllowedIPs). On desktop with the Wireguard client I get IPv6 and can access IPv6-only websites but when using the same config on the router IPv6 is not available.
Is this by design or do I need to change some setting and/or tweak the config file? Interestingly there's no way to even type out the full IPv4/v6 address in the Address field on the Wireguard setup page on the router (limited amount of symbols) , but it gets filled properly when config is uploaded instead of typing it manually.
If I remember correctly, Merlin firmware wireguard does not support ipv6, but I could be wrong. I imported a dual stack config file and both ipv4 and ipv6 addresses show up in the gui. But I'm currently on ipv4 only.

However, in order to support it without ipv6 wan you will need to get an ipv6 to your lan.
Here's how I did it with Wireguard Session Manager addon:
https://github.com/ZebMcKayhan/Wire...-ov-file#ipv6-over-wireguard-without-ipv6-wan