What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 374.39 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi. Where do I download the firmware from please? I've read the OP and sticky but cannot see a link.
Thanks

I've been having this issue since version: 39 em. A couple times a week the 2.4 gigahertz connected computers disconnect and will not reconnect to the n66u unless I power cycle the router. does not happen to the five gigahertz connections.

I've been using merlin's firmwares for a long time never had this issue. tried a factory reset and change SSID names. 2.4 gigahertz set on channel 6. This had happened on other channels. Should I use auto? Could this be interference issue with a neighbor's wireless router? Any suggestions? Thanks

I've been having this issue since version: 39 em. A couple times a week the 2.4 gigahertz connected computers disconnect and will not reconnect to the n66u unless I power cycle the router. does not happen to the five gigahertz connections.

I've been using merlin's firmwares for a long time never had this issue. tried a factory reset and change SSID names. 2.4 gigahertz set on channel 6. This had happened on other channels. Should I use auto? Could this be interference issue with a neighbor's wireless router? Any suggestions? Thanks

Is there a lot of neighbour networks visible when you check with a tool such as InSSIDer?

Could you try the non-em build to see if it makes any difference?

This is a bug in Asus's recent firmware, since people apparently experienced the same issue with Asus's firmware. Probably got broken when they added the USB hub support (which required them to overhaul a lot of the USB handling code).

Thanks RMerlin. I like to keep an eye on my drive space so I will stick with .38 firmware for now. Is there a word on when Asus may fix this bug?

Is there a lot of neighbour networks visible when you check with a tool such as InSSIDer?

Could you try the non-em build to see if it makes any difference?

Merlin,
I live in a single family home neighborhood (versus apartment) so there are about 12 or so other wireless networks that are visible on Inssider. I try and stay off other's channels but not sure if someone's network is "roaming" so to speak and causing problems with mine. I don't get the feeling that this is the case though. Sure I can try the non-em version but do I need to do a full reset?

Oh also should I be using any other particular setting such as badwidth? I'm currently on "20/40" for both 2.4ghz and 5ghz. Other channel settings are "auto".

It just weird as I have two computers, a tablet, and smart phone that use 2.4ghz and all at the same time loose connection and won't reconnect. Most all devices are on "all the time" and out of the blue they just all disconnect at the same time and won't reconnect until I reboot the router.

Last edited:
It just weird as I have two computers, a tablet, and smart phone that use 2.4ghz and all at the same time loose connection and won't reconnect. Most all devices are on "all the time" and out of the blue they just all disconnect at the same time and won't reconnect until I reboot the router.

I get this all the time with all 3 of the kindles in our house. The laptops, iPads and phones are fine but the kindles disconnect together and only a router reboot will get them to connect again.

This happens regardless of the Merlin version installed. 6 hours is about the limit before all the kindles disconnect together. They are different types of kindle and all on the latest firmware. No solution.

Bob.

Oh also should I be using any other particular setting such as badwidth? I'm currently on "20/40" for both 2.4ghz and 5ghz. Other channel settings are "auto".
You should set your 2.4ghz band to 20mhz. Setting it to 40 or 20/40 can cause interference with nearby routers and performance problems for you and your neighbors, including disconnects.

Thanks RMerlin. I like to keep an eye on my drive space so I will stick with .38 firmware for now. Is there a word on when Asus may fix this bug?

They fixed it with 374_4561.

Quite frankly, I wouldn't downgrade to 374.38 just because of this - this is merely a visual glitch. Not worth missing on all the other fixes brought by 374.39.

I tried all 3 DNS filtering services. Yandex works OK, but Norton and OpenDNS have a problem: if I establish VPN connection from Windows to the office network, with OpenDNS or Norton protection enabled on the router, all requests to the workstations on the remote network are redirected to the redirection addresses of OpenDNS and Norton. With Yandex protection, it does not happen. Yandex however tends to blacklist websites that noone else does: they blacklist Nationwide, a major insurance co., and now also Photographyisnotacrime.com.

I was playing with OpenDNS protection before, and they allow to specify exceptions, exactly for this VPN problem. But you have to know the domain at VPN-connected LAN, so I wonder how this can work in general case.

I get this all the time with all 3 of the kindles in our house. The laptops, iPads and phones are fine but the kindles disconnect together and only a router reboot will get them to connect again.

This happens regardless of the Merlin version installed. 6 hours is about the limit before all the kindles disconnect together. They are different types of kindle and all on the latest firmware. No solution.

Bob.

I appreciate the feedback but with my same phones and computers this just started happening with 39-em for me. No kindles here! :)

You should set your 2.4ghz band to 20mhz. Setting it to 40 or 20/40 can cause interference with nearby routers and performance problems for you and your neighbors, including disconnects.

I'll give this a shot. Thanks.

From ASUS RT-N66U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.4561
release notes:

- Patched IPv6 user interface from Merlin's build.

Merlin gets officially recognized by ASUS

From ASUS RT-N66U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.4561
release notes:

- Patched IPv6 user interface from Merlin's build.

Merlin gets officially recognized by ASUS

We do keep in touch, so it's not a big surprise :) Ain't the first time they've given me or someone else the credit for a patch either. It's nice of them to acknowledge open source contributors like that.

Merlin has done a lot for ASUS wireless routers, nice to know ASUS recognizes it in front of everyone :)

I looked at RT-AC68U review and saw it has nice button to turn off LEDs. That's fantastic!
I was wondering - can it be done for RT-N66U via software?
Even scheduled - like from 11PM till 8AM LEDs are off.
Is that possible?

Merlin has done a lot for ASUS wireless routers, nice to know ASUS recognizes it in front of everyone :)

I looked at RT-AC68U review and saw it has nice button to turn off LEDs. That's fantastic!
I was wondering - can it be done for RT-N66U via software?
Even scheduled - like from 11PM till 8AM LEDs are off.
Is that possible?

Support for turning LEDs off on the N66U has been in my FW for well over a year now.

You can use a cron job to schedule it - see the Wiki for more info.

Ups... i think i should move away from stock firmware finally. Shame to say but i haven't tried yours yet :eek:

Ups... i think i should move away from stock firmware finally. Shame to say but i haven't tried yours yet

Join us. :)