What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 374.39 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Is there a lot of neighbour networks visible when you check with a tool such as InSSIDer?

Could you try the non-em build to see if it makes any difference?

Merlin changing the 2.4ghz settings it's still happening. Everything and now even my printer on the lan is disconnecting. ??????

If I install the 39 "non em" version do I need to do a factory reset or not? (N66U)

Merlin changing the 2.4ghz settings it's still happening. Everything and now even my printer on the lan is disconnecting. ??????

If I install the 39 "non em" version do I need to do a factory reset or not? (N66U)

No need to do a factory default reset, assuming you had already done one after flashing 39-em.

Ok I have upgraded but sadly I think I need to downgrade again. (I didnt backup my config before upgrading so I hope I can do a in place upgrade to older firmware).

There is 2 issues to report.

1 - IPV6 is now broken, my config is native, ppp and using dhcp-pd. The syslog shows many like this.

Code:
Feb 26 05:30:02 radvd[702]: prefix length should be 64 for br0
Feb 26 05:30:08 radvd[702]: prefix length should be 64 for br0
Feb 26 05:30:12 radvd[702]: prefix length should be 64 for br0
Feb 26 05:30:17 radvd[702]: prefix length should be 64 for br0
Feb 26 05:30:22 radvd[702]: prefix length should be 64 for br0
Feb 26 05:30:25 radvd[702]: prefix length should be 64 for br0

the ipv6 page shows a prefix length 64 but the lan ipv6 info is blank. This worked fine on RT-AC66U_3.0.0.4_374.35_4 which was the firmware I upgraded from.

2 - The 2nd issue is when toggling announce router advertisements on the ipv6 page, the network goes dead on the router, dhcp gets a 169.x.x.x address and forcing a valid lan ip without dhcp fails to communicate with the router, power cycling the router restores the network.

Using AC66U

1 - IPV6 is now broken, my config is native, ppp and using dhcp-pd. The syslog shows many like this.

Code:
Feb 26 05:30:02 radvd[702]: prefix length should be 64 for br0
Feb 26 05:30:08 radvd[702]: prefix length should be 64 for br0
Feb 26 05:30:12 radvd[702]: prefix length should be 64 for br0
Feb 26 05:30:17 radvd[702]: prefix length should be 64 for br0
Feb 26 05:30:22 radvd[702]: prefix length should be 64 for br0
Feb 26 05:30:25 radvd[702]: prefix length should be 64 for br0

the ipv6 page shows a prefix length 64 but the lan ipv6 info is blank. This worked fine on RT-AC66U_3.0.0.4_374.35_4 which was the firmware I upgraded from.

Using AC66U

This should be fixed in 374.40 alpha8, if you're willing to try it.

Last edited:
good news saintdev, as long as its easy to downgrade again I am willing to test the alpha build, I did manage to downgrade from from .39 back to .35 so I assume is ok.

Ok I only see alpha4 available so I will wait till its ready, thanks.

Last edited:
good news saintdev, as long as its easy to downgrade again I am willing to test the alpha build, I did manage to downgrade from from .39 back to .35 so I assume is ok.

Ok I only see alpha4 available so I will wait till its ready, thanks.

Yeah, I guess there was no official build of this available, just one used for testing. I'm not 100% sure this will fix your issue either, but it was one of the messages mentioned by the person who submitted the patch.

Yeah, I guess there was no official build of this available, just one used for testing. I'm not 100% sure this will fix your issue either, but it was one of the messages mentioned by the person who submitted the patch.

no worries, I have emailed merlin to see if he will send me the build as i have offered to test if the issue is fixed. If he says no I will wait for the public update.

where to find the 39-em build

i guess a rookie question but i cannot find the ' em ' builds....:( on merlins mediafire.

need some help to find them..

rgrds

THANK YOU MERLIN!!!

So the RT-N66 was not an immediate success but after I flashed the firmware with Merlin's firmware version 374.39 . My wireless bandwidth at the furthest point in my house went from 1 mbps to 13-15 mbps without any tweaks besides resetting to factory defaults and recreating the SSIDs.

Therefore I will give it a 2 weeks before I decide to keep it…otherwise the Apple router goes on sale.

I bought the router refurbished for $70 on newegg.

Thanks again Merlin!:)

I've been having this issue since version: 39 em. A couple times a week the 2.4 gigahertz connected computers disconnect and will not reconnect to the n66u unless I power cycle the router. does not happen to the five gigahertz connections.

I've been using merlin's firmwares for a long time never had this issue. tried a factory reset and change SSID names. 2.4 gigahertz set on channel 6. This had happened on other channels. Should I use auto? Could this be interference issue with a neighbor's wireless router? Any suggestions? Thanks

I am having the same issue since a few days. Oddly the issue didn't appear the first weeks when I installed the firmware.

The issue is not limited to 2.4 GHz though. Sometimes I will suddenly disconnect from 2.4 GHz and cannot reconnect; I tried to connect to 5 GHz then and it worked. I was lazy and forgot to restart the router to fix 2.4 GHz, so I stayed at 5 GHz. Next day at some point the 5 GHz stopped working as well, 2.4 GHz was still not working. Rebooting (power button) fixed the issues with both networks. In the next days the same thing would happen a few times again, the network just becomes completely inaccessible until I restart the router.

I tried switching to a different channel to see if it helps, I cannot tell yet though, at least so far I didn't have any disconnect anymore.

The EM builds were for the N66U and there in the N66U experimental folder.

Disk issues

Hello all,

I am a new member and not very tech savy. I had no issues with my USB drive connected to RTN66U until switched to new firmware. Looks like no issues until 38_2. each firmware afterwards suddenly disconnects USB drive. I uploaded latest 39-2 (and reset to factory defaults and reconfigured) but no use. USB disconnects just like that any suggestions?

Also, it is a passport WD drive. Looks like I could see files I copied from NTFS formatted drive but not others. I noticed the passport drive is pre formatted with ex-fat. Any suggestions other than reformatting passport drive with NTFS?

Also, I see some people mention about NVRAM clear. should I do that between each firmware change?

Appreciate any and all responses. And I appreciate Merlin for his great efforts on this firmware. Awesome!!

I am having the same issue since a few days. Oddly the issue didn't appear the first weeks when I installed the firmware.

The issue is not limited to 2.4 GHz though. Sometimes I will suddenly disconnect from 2.4 GHz and cannot reconnect; I tried to connect to 5 GHz then and it worked. I was lazy and forgot to restart the router to fix 2.4 GHz, so I stayed at 5 GHz. Next day at some point the 5 GHz stopped working as well, 2.4 GHz was still not working. Rebooting (power button) fixed the issues with both networks. In the next days the same thing would happen a few times again, the network just becomes completely inaccessible until I restart the router.

I tried switching to a different channel to see if it helps, I cannot tell yet though, at least so far I didn't have any disconnect anymore.

Yes this has been happening to me to. It happened on the 5ghz but that was before I completely changed SSID names. After changing the name it hasn't happened since on the 5ghz channel. My 2.4ghz has been doing it and it all happens to all the devices at the same time. They all dump like the leases expired or someting. The problem is like you the devices won't reconnect until I reboot the router.

I just went from 39-em to the regular 39 version per Merlin's request to see if 39 does this. So far no but I"ll have to give it a week or so to find out. Thanks for posting that you are having the same issue.

I am seeing a similar problem. Machines connected to the 2.4 GHz suddenly loses connection and have to reconnect. The 2.4 GHz actually becomes invisible to all machines also those connected to 5 GHz. However, I do not have to reboot the router it's sufficient to turn wireless off and on again to be able to see and connect again. This doesn't happen often though, not even daily.

I have a N66U with 39-em.

Since 374 versions my videos stream from my NAS to my Samsung TV without any problem. Before it got disconnected every 30 minutes.

However, with the 374 versions up to 39-em, my Dell/6235 should connect with 5G automatically but frequently is connects with 2.4G and I have to manually connect to 5G. Sometimes it does not allow even to connect to 5G. A few hours later it allows, but I never reboot the router.

With Samsung and apple smartphones, I have different experiences; some connect without problem other do not and some I have to regularly switch off/on the wifi on the device.

Until em-39 I had no problems with my iPad3. with em-39 I regularly have to switch off/on the wifi and no difference using 2.4G or 5G connection.

...and yes, I did factory reset installing new firmware and re-installed the wifi connections on my devices...

I need connection 3 floors high, should I still try the 39-0 ?

I have a N66U with 39-em.

Since 374 versions my videos stream from my NAS to my Samsung TV without any problem. Before it got disconnected every 30 minutes.

However, with the 374 versions up to 39-em, my Dell/6235 should connect with 5G automatically but frequently is connects with 2.4G and I have to manually connect to 5G. Sometimes it does not allow even to connect to 5G. A few hours later it allows, but I never reboot the router.

With Samsung and apple smartphones, I have different experiences; some connect without problem other do not and some I have to regularly switch off/on the wifi on the device.

Until em-39 I had no problems with my iPad3. with em-39 I regularly have to switch off/on the wifi and no difference using 2.4G or 5G connection.

...and yes, I did factory reset installing new firmware and re-installed the wifi connections on my devices...

I need connection 3 floors high, should I still try the 39-0 ?

Through three floors, the 5 GHz signal is probably much too weak, which is why devices are using the stronger 2.4 GHz signal instead.

If you want to connect to a specific band, use different SSID, and configure only the band you wish to connect to.