What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 374.40 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Merlin,
This is an issue found in Tomato-Arm, but Victek said this also appeared in Asuswrt and this "acs_ifnames" is written and committed to NVRAM by wireless driver. Did you notice that?

Here is the issue:
Every time I reboot the router (one reboot after another without doing anything else), the free space of nvram get reduced a little bit (several bytes).
With simple compare of output of "nvram show", I found the token "acs_ifnames" get appended every time the router is rebooted.
Now it's "acs_ifnames=eth1 eth2 eth1 eth2 eth1 eth2 eth1 eth2 eth1 eth2 eth1 eth2", with several reboots, which seems like with every reboot, an "eth1 eth2" get appended.

Not a problem for Asuswrt or Asuswrt-Merlin. My routers get rebooted tons of times, and it's still fine - my main router only has "eth2" in it right now.

Another question: In normal case, does every reboot modify the nvram? I mean the physical nvram which get committed, not the map in the ram which is volatile. Except the "Apply" in the GUI when saving settings, is there any other case Tomato will do a "commit" to the nvram? Like saving some vars between every reboots and retrieve it later on.

No idea about Tomato, but it probably does need to commit back a few times during boot. Just working with the RAM copy is not reliable.

I searched but could not find much. I have all of my Ethernet devices connected to switches. Is there anyway I can not have the LED's on the Ethernet ports 1-4 on the RT-N66W but I still want the LED's on the other ports? I know you can turn them all off I don't want to just the 1-4 ports. Thanks.

I searched but could not find much. I have all of my Ethernet devices connected to switches. Is there anyway I can not have the LED's on the Ethernet ports 1-4 on the RT-N66W but I still want the LED's on the other ports? I know you can turn them all off I don't want to just the 1-4 ports. Thanks.

I'm not at home right now to test it, but try this.

Disable:
Code:
led_ctrl 20 0

Enable:
Code:
led_ctrl 20 1

You could put this inside a start script like services_start.

Tomato and Shibby Build.

Just curious! How does Shibby manage to have a build for the RT-AC66U and RT-66U that is half this size of the Asus firmware ?:confused:

Just curious! How does Shibby manage to have a build for the RT-AC66U and RT-66U that is half this size of the Asus firmware ?:confused:

The Download Master installer is included in the firmware. The Asus webui is also more image intensive.

Thanks Merlin that kind of worked the 1-4 ports LED's are off however the globe LED where it shows activity is off too. If possible I just lie the 1-4 ports off. Thanks.

Thanks, Merlin:cool:

Thanks Merlin that kind of worked the 1-4 ports LED's are off however the globe LED where it shows activity is off too. If possible I just lie the 1-4 ports off. Thanks.

The WAN port is part of the same switch as the LAN ports, so it can't be controlled separately.

Hello i have merlins 374.40 beta 3, and i did factory restore. Well it seems for me that the router is on for 3 days then it reboots in a vicious cycle like every 10 minutes, and its extremely annoying. I do have a variety of devices connected, and there lots of iphone/ ipads using it. I cant figure out what is causing this, i don't use any extra features of the router, only use it for wifi. i check the log, and every time it reboots it says this.

Mar 26 22:45:35 rc_service: ntp 668:notify_rc restart_upnp
Mar 26 22:45:35 rc_service: ntp 668:notify_rc restart_diskmon
Mar 26 22:45:35 rc_service: waitting "restart_upnp" via ntp ...
Mar 26 22:45:35 miniupnpd[679]: HTTP listening on port 60219
Mar 26 22:45:35 miniupnpd[679]: Listening for NAT-PMP traffic on port 5351
Mar 26 22:45:37 disk monitor: be idle

Hello i have merlins 374.40 beta 3, and i did factory restore. Well it seems for me that the router is on for 3 days then it reboots in a vicious cycle like every 10 minutes, and its extremely annoying. I do have a variety of devices connected, and there lots of iphone/ ipads using it. I cant figure out what is causing this, i don't use any extra features of the router, only use it for wifi. i check the log, and every time it reboots it says this.

Mar 26 22:45:35 rc_service: ntp 668:notify_rc restart_upnp
Mar 26 22:45:35 rc_service: ntp 668:notify_rc restart_diskmon
Mar 26 22:45:35 rc_service: waitting "restart_upnp" via ntp ...
Mar 26 22:45:35 miniupnpd[679]: HTTP listening on port 60219
Mar 26 22:45:35 miniupnpd[679]: Listening for NAT-PMP traffic on port 5351
Mar 26 22:45:37 disk monitor: be idle

Read this thread:

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=16328

The WAN port is part of the same switch as the LAN ports, so it can't be controlled separately.
Thanks. I will then use the command line you gave me. :)

Please read the first post of this thread...

Please read the first post of this thread...

It seems people are saying to use 374.40 alpha 4, why so? It seems you released beta 3 far after it. Someone please tell what firmware I should use that doesn't have this problem and has the best 2.4ghz performance

Hi,

I have noticed a weird issue since using the .39-em and now the .40 version with the n66u. On the 2.4ghz, I have my samsung galaxy s3 connected and a samsung galaxy s4. I've noticed that both phones have fluctuating wifi signal strength when on the first floor of the house (router on ground floor). Sometimes it looks like it would have no signal to the wifi then a couple of seconds later it comes back, and it keeps doing that. However when I connect my laptop it seems to work fine, with no fluctuations.

Anyone have an idea what's happening?

Avi.

It seems people are saying to use 374.40 alpha 4, why so? It seems you released beta 3 far after it. Someone please tell what firmware I should use that doesn't have this problem and has the best 2.4ghz performance

Seriously, I meant it. READ the first post in this thread.

I have been on Alpha4 now for a few days, and I haven't gotten a reboot yet... hopefully it stays that way, but my broader hope is that Asus comes out with a newer version soon!

Random reboots on rt-n66u

I've been having some random reboots on my rt-n66u router running 374.40. Uptime between reboots varies but it ranges from several hours to several days. Usually wireless is able to reconnect, but there has been a few times where I have to power-cycle the router for wifi to reconnect.

When I upgraded to .40, I did a factory reset so I'd like to think nvram parameters are correct but I'll probably perform a reset later this week.

Looking through the thread, it seems that some other folks with n66 routers have had random reboots with the later firmware releases.

Does anyone have any thoughts if this may be related to the wireless driver SDK issue on the ac68?

I've been having some random reboots on my rt-n66u router running 374.40. Uptime between reboots varies but it ranges from several hours to several days. Usually wireless is able to reconnect, but there has been a few times where I have to power-cycle the router for wifi to reconnect.

When I upgraded to .40, I did a factory reset so I'd like to think nvram parameters are correct but I'll probably perform a reset later this week.

Looking through the thread, it seems that some other folks with n66 routers have had random reboots with the later firmware releases.

Does anyone have any thoughts if this may be related to the wireless driver SDK issue on the ac68?
Which version of .40 are you on? You want to be on ALPHA4 if you are having reboots. The reboots are a known issue, and they're not present in ALPHA4. We're waiting on a fix from Asus.

Unlikely, as the RT-N66U uses a completely different SDK.

Try disabling NAT acceleration (under LAN -> Switch) and see if it helps. Some ISPs have trouble with it, some people also reported stability issues using an IPv6 tunnel with this option enabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!