What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 374.42_2 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I left the default history location RAM.
That works fine as far as I can tell.

No log messages.

Thanks, but the reason I want to use /cifs1, is that the information doesn't disappear on power cycling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks, but the reason I want to use /cifs1, is that the information doesn't disappear on power cycling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most probably the problem is that network share "/cifs1" has not been mounted yet. Read carefully the Merlin's user scripts Wiki. Try to find the right place to put the "mount" command in order that "/cifs1" to be mount on early stage of boot process and to may be restart the syslog daemon after with new settings.

Last edited:
Most probably the problem is that network share "/cifs1" has not been mounted yet. Read carefully the Merlin's user scripts Wiki. Try to find the right place to put the "mount" command in order that "/cifs1" to be mount on early stage of boot process and to may be restart the syslog daemon after with new settings.

Thanks, but /cifs is mounted and accessible. Everything worked fine prior to the update from .41.

Here is a complete paste of my services-start (placed in /jffs):
#!/bin/sh
mount \\\\192.168.1.10\\Merlin /cifs1 -t cifs -o "username=Xxxx,password=****”

Thanks, but /cifs is mounted and accessible. Everything worked fine prior to the update from .41.

Here is a complete paste of my services-start (placed in /jffs):
#!/bin/sh
mount \\\\192.168.1.10\\Merlin /cifs1 -t cifs -o "username=Xxxx,password=****”

May be something changed in new FW and you need to restart the syslogd after mounting the /cifs1. Try to investigate when the syslogd starts and when the /cifs1 is mounted. Set the verbosity of the syslogd to higher level and study carefully the boot sequence to see what and when happens and what error messages are logged. Or set the syslog destination to RAM, reboot and then set it back to /cifs1 and reboot again. The fact that /cifs1 is mounted when you check it does not mean that it has been mounted when the syslogd starts.

Last edited:
Tx for your efforts, Merlin, I appreciate your valuable input and your improvements and enhancements of the stock firmware very much indeed...

The 3G/4G USB support should work better in this build than the 374.41 build in the case of MIPS-based routers (N16/N66/AC66).

Sorry to have to complain about but ASUS seems to have managed to deteriorate the stability of the 3G/4G modem support further. With your last build based on 374_5656 GPL stock firmware not only my HUAWEI modem is blocked but also my other modems (ZTE, XSStick P14) cannot connect and fail with error messages...

Living in a rural environment 3G/4G mode is the only chance to go online, therefore I had to cflash back to 374.40 (Merlin build) which works like it should. So I really don't have any chance to use the new build with the enhanced security fixes if I want to access Internet (tho' it would perhaps be the best security measure not to surf in Internet at all :rolleyes:)

Ciao
Gerald

my modem is still in state "disconnected" with this version [...]
So back to 374.41_alpha4

Same here - now neither of my 3G/4G modems is able to get connections any longer...

Is there a way to download this 374.41_alpha4? I seem to have missed that build, and I'm not able to find a link to it...

Ciao
Gerald

Where did the cli entry box go?

I was able to enter commands in one of the tabs in "tools" before. Now can't find the terminal entry point.

Also, now seem unable to activate samba share with guest access. And, unfortunately, ES File Explorer in Android no longer works properly even when I log in as admin. (permission issues).

Third problem is that ES File Explorer in Android now no longer recognises the second partition on my USB hdd, or the flash drive connected to other USB port. All worked normally on .40 firmware.

Are there any solutions to this?

For DrTeeth ;)

With the new .42 I tested again regulation_domain and set it for NL.
This works but kills my 2.4GHz range for some reason.
Tested with inSSIDer.

Back again on EU.
(Must be the same with .41, but I forgot to check range.)

Attachments

• RegDomain 2.4GHz.JPG
    RegDomain 2.4GHz.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 382
I was able to enter commands in one of the tabs in "tools" before. Now can't find the terminal entry point.

Are there any solutions to this?

Gone forever, because of security issues.

Flashed 374.42 last night and all is good! Seems to be smoother and snapppier than .41

Thanks Merlin!

Cheers!

Have noted your notes on the redesigned Samba page.

In case anyone's interested, the Samba sharing page lost the option to set max connections.

Any chance the dnsmasq local resolution change would cause problems for those using dnscrypt? Upgrading ti .42 broke my WAN until I disabled the dnscrypt configuration.

Seems like I have some kind of local loop problem when connected with OpenVPN from inside my LAN.
I know, stupid connection, but it worked before.
(Only used for testing purposes.)

If I connect with OpenVPN from WAN, all works fine.

Attachments

• 10-5-2014 17-55-14.jpg
    10-5-2014 17-55-14.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 522
Going on 14 hours uptime with 42 and so far this firmware seems to be the best that's been released in some time. I just use my router for routing and it's quick and smooth. Thanks Merlin !! :D

For whatever reason I'm unable to upgrade from 374.41 on my RT-N66U. It says that upgrade was successful but after reboot it still shows version 3.0.0.4.374.41_0.

For DrTeeth ;)

With the new .42 I tested again regulation_domain and set it for NL.
This works but kills my 2.4GHz range for some reason.
Tested with inSSIDer.

Back again on EU.
(Must be the same with .41, but I forgot to check range.)

I am still in Iceland with NO probs.
Use 'IS' instead of GB in the following commands - I run the lot.
nvram set pci/1/1/ccode=GB
nvram set pci/2/1/ccode=GB
nvram set wl0_country_code=GB
nvram set wl1_country_code=GB
nvram set regulation_domain=GB
nvram set regulation_domain_5G=GB
nvram commit
A reboot is necessary I think.
See you in Reykjavík ;). Let me know how it goes for you.

For whatever reason I'm unable to upgrade from 374.41 on my RT-N66U. It says that upgrade was successful but after reboot it still shows version 3.0.0.4.374.41_0.

I am having exactly same issue after .35, every time I have to restore the router to factory setting so I can upgrade the firmware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

would you recommend 80 if there is only one steady 5 GHz router in the neighborhood ?

It won't matter then. Either way, your 802.11ac clients will be using 80 MHz channels.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!