What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 374.42_2 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Maybe I just missed the option before. In WAN-Internet Connection is a dropdown for "Redirect to error page".
If set to no will that prevent the dreaded 'Settings have been updated... Locked out' problem?

That option was recently added. It's for the error page that gets shown when the Internet connection goes down, it's unrelated to the error page that gets stored in your browser and is displayed whenever the router is unreachable.

Thank you for your time you spent working on the firmware Merlin. Its really appreciated.

Is OpenVPN server 1 running by default?

This is a known issue caused by the way stock firmware uses the OpenVPN enable option in nvram. Asus always has that setting enabled, but rely on a different setting to determine if the OpenVPN server must be started or not. So when you switch to my firmware, that setting is properly used to enable/disable an instance, so it will end up enabled by default after switching from stock to my firmware.

It's unfortunate since the issue was created when they merged my OpenVPN code into the stock firmware, and changed the way this setting is being used.

Just disable it, and you'll be fine. Not much I can do about this unfortunately, short of changing to a different setting name, which will create a whole different set of problems (people who used to really have it enabled by default won't realize their server is no longer started by default until they re-enable it).

Hi,
I've updated my RT-N66U, and everything seems to work. I however get this line (repeatedly) in the log:

12:26:48 cstats[352]: Problem loading /cifs1/tomato_cstats_74d02bd2cf98.gz. Still trying...

I've checked /cifs1, and it's mounted ok. All bandwidth statistics look ok.

rstats = normal traffic monitoring
cstats = IPTraffic

Make sure you configure/reset the correct one.

Sorry to have to complain about but ASUS seems to have managed to deteriorate the stability of the 3G/4G modem support further. With your last build based on 374_5656 GPL stock firmware not only my HUAWEI modem is blocked but also my other modems (ZTE, XSStick P14) cannot connect and fail with error messages...

See if the same issue occurs with Asus's own firmware. If it does, contact them about it. I asked them last week if they were aware of the recent 3G/4G issues, but didn't get a response.

For whatever reason I'm unable to upgrade from 374.41 on my RT-N66U. It says that upgrade was successful but after reboot it still shows version 3.0.0.4.374.41_0.

Reboot the router with no USB device plugged in, and try again. Also try a different browser in case an addon might be interfering with the upload process.

... Let me know how it goes for you.

'IS' works, but with the same seriously reduced range on 2.4GHz WiFi. :mad:
If you use inSSIDer and walk to the edge of your coverage, you have to see a huge RF level difference between the two. (EU vs IS.)

Not sure what happens with name resolving here.
After a router reboot it got stuck again.

The fd00: address is weird, I switched off everything that smells like IPv6 on my router.

Switch off/on the WiFi switch on my laptop fixed it. :confused:

Attachments

• 10-5-2014 19-46-31.jpg
    10-5-2014 19-46-31.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 328
Not sure what happens with name resolving here.
After a router reboot it got stuck again.

The fd00: address is weird, I switched off everything that smells like IPv6 on my router.

Switch off/on the WiFi switch on my laptop fixed it. :confused:

what network devices do you have? the fd00::/48 should be a ULA assignment, something no device should use unless you set it up yourself.

regardless, something on your network appears to be advertising it for DNS

Radvd no longer started w/ sixxs tunnel

Thank you very much for the enormous amount of value you are producing by giving us your Merlin-releases.

I am using a sixxs.net IPv6 tunnel on my AC66U rather than native IPv6.
I start IPv6 with "/opt/sbin/aiccu start /opt/etc/aiccu.conf" from /jffs/scripts/wan-start.

Since this release radvd no longer gets configured and started automatically.

/etc/radvd.conf is no longer created and even if I put a radvd.conf into /jffs/configs it is not copied to /etc automatically and radvd is not started.

I had to create my own startup script that copies radvd.conf into /etc and starts radvd -u admin. The radvd.conf I use is the one I saved from the last release.

Is this behavior on purpose?

Thank you very much for the enormous amount of value you are producing by giving us your Merlin-releases.

I am using a sixxs.net IPv6 tunnel on my AC66U rather than native IPv6.
I start IPv6 with "/opt/sbin/aiccu start /opt/etc/aiccu.conf" from /jffs/scripts/wan-start.

Since this release radvd no longer gets configured and started automatically.

/etc/radvd.conf is no longer created and even if I put a radvd.conf into /jffs/configs it is not copied to /etc automatically and radvd is not started.

I had to create my own startup script that copies radvd.conf into /etc and starts radvd -u admin. The radvd.conf I use is the one I saved from the last release.

Is this behavior on purpose?

my ISP provides me with IPv6 via 6rd; no problems with radvd here. i'm only using a radvd postconf script to add my ULA, otherwise nothing weird was needed.

what network devices do you have? the fd00::/48 should be a ULA assignment, something no device should use unless you set it up yourself.

regardless, something on your network appears to be advertising it for DNS

Amazing.
I don't have any network devices with IPv6.
Google tells me ULA is the IPv6 equivalent to the IPv4 private range addresses.
Well, I certainly didn't configure one myself.

Edit:
I can recreate the problem easy.
Switch off/on WiFi with the hardware switch on my laptop. (5GHz WiFi)
The fd00:: address shows and kills DNS resolution. (Can't ping the IPv6 address.)

Switch off/on WiFi using the ncpa.cpl applet.
The fd00:: address is gone and DNS works. (Using the IPv4 DNS address.)

Last edited:
somthing else

'IS' works, but with the same seriously reduced range on 2.4GHz WiFi. :mad:
If you use inSSIDer and walk to the edge of your coverage, you have to see a huge RF level difference between the two. (EU vs IS.)

try this

nvram set pci/1/1/ccode=#a
nvram set pci/2/1/ccode=#a
nvram set pci/1/1/regrev=0
nvram set pci/2/1/regrev=0
nvram set wl0_country_code=#a
nvram set wl0_country_rev=0
nvram set wl0_reg_mode=off
nvram set wl1_country_code=#a
nvram ser regulation_domain=#a
nvram set regulation_domain_5G=#a
nvram set wl1_country_rev=0
nvram set wl1_reg_mode=off
nvram commit
reboot

Gedraag je ten opzichte van je buren aub.

Last edited:
Amazing.
I don't have any network devices with IPv6.
Google tells me ULA is the IPv6 equivalent to the IPv4 private range addresses.
Well, I certainly didn't configure one myself.

Edit:
I can recreate the problem easy.
Switch off/on WiFi with the hardware switch on my laptop. (5GHz WiFi)
The fd00:: address shows and kills DNS resolution. (Can't ping the IPv6 address.)

Switch off/on WiFi using the ncpa.cpl applet.
The fd00:: address is gone and DNS works. (Using the IPv4 DNS address.)

any other clients on your network receive that address? i suspect the laptop is at fault somehow

any other clients on your network receive that address? i suspect the laptop is at fault somehow

No, no complaints from the family.

Edit:
I fixed it by switching off the TCP/IPv6 stack on the WLAN card on the problem laptop.
Thx for your input sinshiva.

Last edited:
pudding

The proof is in the eating of the pudding . I did, but on a ac66. I understand that the wireless driver is different in de Merlin build for the n66. Maybe on the n66 with asus build firmware?

@ Builder71

Have you tried those commands that remove all wireless driver restrictions? Did they help your range at all?

try this

nvram set pci/1/1/ccode=#a
nvram set pci/2/1/ccode=#a
nvram set pci/1/1/regrev=0
nvram set pci/2/1/regrev=0
nvram set wl0_country_code=#a
nvram set wl0_country_rev=0
nvram set wl0_reg_mode=off
nvram set wl1_country_code=#a
nvram set regulation_domain_5G=#a
nvram set wl1_country_rev=0
nvram set wl1_reg_mode=off
nvram commit
reboot

Gedraag je ten opzichte van je buren aub.

I noticed a small typo in the instructions here:

should be:
nvram set regulation_domain=#a

I also found similar instructions elsewhere in the forum which are:

Edit: Deleted these erroneous commands to avoid confusion and prevent anyone using them by mistake.

Which one is correct and I am assuming that this will allow maximum transmission that the hardware is capable of. Does that mean that using these settings could increase transmission power levels above what is allowed in the US? Only asking because I live in a remote area.

Last edited:
@ Builder71

Have you tried those commands that remove all wireless driver restrictions? Did they help your range at all?

I'll try tomorrow.
Did you noticed the range difference between IS en EU?

Sorry for the off-topic about wireless range. :eek:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!